How to volt meter and switches: drilling into Scamp interior wall. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
How to volt meter and switches: drilling into Scamp interior wall.

I am wanting to mount an on-off switch and also an Anderson power-pole panel in a 2015 Scamp 13. One thing I will need to do is drill holes with diameter of around 1" to 2" into the interior cabinet wall near where the electrical panel and the fridge are.
I was hoping to get advice about the best sort of drill to use, how to approach this and anything else that will make me more of an expert doing something for the first time (if that is possible). Do paddle bits (sold for drilling wood) work well? Will they get dull fast? What are some potential pitfalls and issues I could be aware of? I am hoping to do this in the best possible way and wondering what I need to order and think about. Thanks very much.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I wouldn't use a spade bit. It will likely jump around and make a mess. (They do that for me anyway!)

I would use a "hole saw" with a center bit.

You can find them on Amazon or at your local hardware store.
The first one you get should come with a center piece that holds a regular drill bit and the hole-saw part attaches to it.

After that, you just buy the hole-saw part in different sizes and attach them to the first part.

You'll understand once you start looking for them. Make sure the "Arbor" is the right size for both 1" and 2" saws.

A 1" and 2" setup should be around US$25 for both if you're getting non-junk ones.

The nice thing about this design is that the center drill bit is longer than the hole-saw part so it drills through first and keeps the thing from jumping all over the place as you drill the larger hole.

I've had real good luck using these things in thin wood/metal and fiberglass although I haven't used one in my Scamp.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...9662/202327732

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...9624/202327750
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Know what's behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
I am wanting to mount an on-off switch and also an Anderson power-pole panel in a 2015 Scamp 13. One thing I will need to do is drill holes with diameter of around 1" to 2" into the interior cabinet wall near where the electrical panel and the fridge are.
I was hoping to get advice about the best sort of drill to use, how to approach this and anything else that will make me more of an expert doing something for the first time (if that is possible). Do paddle bits (sold for drilling wood) work well? Will they get dull fast? What are some potential pitfalls and issues I could be aware of? I am hoping to do this in the best possible way and wondering what I need to order and think about. Thanks very much.
When I put mine in I removed the drawer for a look and then removed the range top for access, but no two are alike. My USB and power poles are around the corner.
Then when I installed the radio I drilled a small hole in from the cupboard side and then inserted an inspection camera. Yes I bought the camera for this project, it was cheaper than wrecking a new RV. Hole saws for all holes. AND DO NOT PUSH, LET THE SAW DO THE WORK. A second person with a vacuum helps control the dust.
Attached Thumbnails
02 12 VDC meter.jpg   39 RADIO am fm wx.jpg  

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If you ate only going to drill a couple of holes, a less expensive set will do.
https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-...-pc-57524.html

Make sure you do not drill through something else behind where you drill the hole. Wiring, plumbing, etc
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I installed a few 2 inch gauges in my Scamp, and learned that I needed a hole that was a bit larger than what a 2 inch hole saw made. The solution was to tape a piece of sandpaper around the circumference and drill it thru the hole again. http://scamp.n0kfb.org/mods/gauges/hole-saw-iv.jpg
--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you can get to both sides with a drill then a spade bit with two sharp tines on the edges will cut a neat circle with clean edges. When the tip pokes through the back then move and finish from that side.
I also like the Unibits that make nice clean holes, and are stepped.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:03 PM   #7

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1971 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Drilling into walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If you can get to both sides with a drill then a spade bit with two sharp tines on the edges will cut a neat circle with clean edges. When the tip pokes through the back then move and finish from that side.
I also like the Unibits that make nice clean holes, and are stepped.

If you are serious about doing this right then there are some basic rules,
#1, don't buy the cheapest cutting tools you can find, you will regret it.
Buy or borrow good quality hole saws, do not use a spade bit, that is not what they are designed for.
#2, make sure the inside and outside of where you are going to drill are clear of any obstructions.
#3, drill a small pilot hole where the center of the big hole is going to be.

#4, start from the inside with the hole saw until you have a continuous groove then move to the outside and finish the hole, you will get nice clean edges.
#5, give the edge a light sanding to get rid of any slivers and you're done.
Should look amazing.
Best of luck, it's easier than it sounds.
rjanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp