Hubodometer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hubodometer

Does anyone have any experience with mounting a hubodometer on their trailer? It would be good to know the real mileage of the trailer for service intervals (grease & bearings), tire wear and resale.
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:51 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post
Does anyone have any experience with mounting a hubodometer on their trailer? It would be good to know the real mileage of the trailer for service intervals (grease & bearings), tire wear and resale.
You do not indicate what you are using as a tow vehicle. Some of the newer vehicles with tow packages are set up to track trailer mileage. Personally, I would consider installing a hubodometer to be a big expense and effort for something that could be done on a pad of paper if you don't have a newer tow vehicle, but that is me.

I have found over many years that the so-called recommended bearing service intervals are overly aggressive. I generally repack and examine my wheel bearings around 25,000 - 30,000 miles or every 3 years, whichever comes first and use a good quality grease with a high drop point. My favorite is Lucas Red & Tacky or Lucas Heavy Duty. A boat trailer, that is immersed in water, I would service bearings on an annual basis, or in a warm climate like Florida where the boat might be launced any month of the year, I would pack and examine the bearings semi-annually.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:26 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I have a hubodometer and I kind of like it. Although working with the particular brand was a royal pain and I wouldn’t recommend them because of it. But, the odometer works fine.

Mine mounts to a stainless plate which in turn has three studs which mount to the lug nuts. I replaced three of the wheel nuts with decorative chromed nuts that I was sure were threaded all the way up. I sawed off and flattened the domes at the top. I cut lengths of stainless threaded rod and into the tops of the decorative nuts (after installing/torqueing them) and used stainless jam nuts to lock the rod into the nut. More jam nuts on either side of the plate hold it to the outer end of the threaded rod. (Stainless lock washer under the outer nut.)

Hub odometers have to be bought to match the tire’s Revs per Mile (RPM). I found the RPM at the tire manufacturers web site and provided it to the odometer vendor so they could select the appropriate model.

Most odometers mate to a metal strap they provide (know your wheel end’s bolt circle) that gets captured under the lug nuts.

Is it necessary? Certainly not. Kinda cool? Yeah!
Attached Thumbnails
Hubodometer.jpg  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
CPW is correct about wheel bearings.
Wheel bearings are the most trouble free part of the trailer.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
CPW is correct about wheel bearings.
Wheel bearings are the most trouble free part of the trailer.
You have never had to deal with a neglected wheel bearing while sitting on the side of the road, a long way away from home. When wheel bearings go, the often weld themselves to the the axle. Removal can be very difficult.

Don't ignore your wheel bearings!

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:57 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
From the Dexter FAQ's-

BEARINGS - How often should I grease the bearings?
Along with bearing adjustment, proper lubrication is essential to the current function and reliability of your trailer axle. Bearings should be lubricated every 12 months or 12,000 miles.

I figure they know more about axles than I do.

Ten dollars for seals + a bucks worth of grease + and hour on a sunny day = peace of mind. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:17 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Yup Raz, you're right, pretty simple.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote