Humidity... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Humidity...

I am puzzled with some humidity issues... (or maybe non-issues)

I have a 2015 13 ft Scamp (no bath). I keep a small heater set at 45 degrees, going 24/7 during cold weather to try and keep moisture down. I have all my cabinets open and the cushions on end, while is is sitting unused in the yard for the winter. There is no mold or water or moisture obviously present.

Last winter I put in a small 18 ounce RV DampRid in the camper and it produced (absorbed) water in the bottom quite well. This year... nothing is producing in the bottom of a new DampRid... sitting there for over a month. Puzzled... I put in another 18 oz. container... and for a week... nothing is happening. It feels chilled and somewhat damp... but no moisture is being absorbed.
I put in a remote temp and humidity gauge inside... it reads about 78% to a low of maybe 68% humidity from day to day, and the temps stay between 44 and 46 degrees with the help of my little heater. I Know the remote temp/humidity unit may be inaccurate... so I set it up side by side in the house with the receiver and the temps and humidity levels are the same.
I called DampRid... explained the whole thing. They did inform me that the DampRid should be absorbing moisture starting at 50% humidity levels. I told him that it reaches as high as 78% etc etc... with no change in the desiccant and no water in the bottom. He offered my money back... but otherwise... no explanation as to high humidity levels with no moisture absorption in two 18 ounce RV containers. (yes they are opened with the seal pulled off)
It has been raining here for the better part of two weeks on and off... and I go inside the Scamp a few times a week to do things or to check the heater etc.

How is this phenomenon happening? Why last year the desiccant filled fairly well... and this year they remain dry and unaffected even with 78% humidity levels? I must be missing something here in the chemistry department?????

Thanks
Ralph
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
if you are not out using your camper, and there are no serious leaks in the rain, you have very little to be concerned about.

The only time I worry about moisture inside my camper is if I have moisture condensing inside while I am not using the camper. So far I've seen no evidence of this happening in the 16 years I've owned my Scamp.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
if you are not out using your camper, and there are no serious leaks in the rain, you have very little to be concerned about.

The only time I worry about moisture inside my camper is if I have moisture condensing inside while I am not using the camper. So far I've seen no evidence of this happening in the 16 years I've owned my Scamp.

--Dan Meyer
Dan... I totally agree with you! I am not actually concerned and I am not really worried about this. The only moisture I am aware of is our breathing condensating on the inside on those cold nights!

However... this is very puzzling to me as to how the humidity is rather high with no reaction to it from the Damp Rid containers!!!????? They remain dry!

Ralph
Old 01-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I have been thinking about this since you posted your conundrum. DampRid might start removing moisture at 50% RH, but does the rate of removal increase, or stays the same between those 50% and 99%? My hunch is that the rate of removal is highly non-linear, hence much more is removed when reducing the RH from 99 to 98, then from 51 to 50%. The rate of water absorption is temperature dependent, for sure.

And besides, this whole process might vary a lot between seasons and also depend on wind (natural ventilation), how many dry days in a row, how many very cold days in a row that condense the inside humidity and keep it liquid (or frozen on the cold walls), etc. etc. What to expect this winter? Predicting this is just like the climate science - you should not take your expectations too seriously. Keep using the DampRid as a cheap insurance and keep an eye on things.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #5

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
My 2012 Scamp is stored in a cold building all winter. I put a small damp rid container in there when I say goodbye each November. I crack the fantastic fan lid a bit as well as the little window above the cooktop. When I come back in April, the damp rid container is full. I take my cushions and curtains out for storage and keep them home.

I use a container of damp rid also when she's in my driveway in summer, but it only ever gets a bit of water in it. I don't know reasons for difference, but maybe in your case running the heater is taking care of a lot of the moisture? In any case, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
If you have wood in your camper, any humidity level outside an approximate range between 40% to 60% is potentially damaging. Too dry, and wood and/or glue joints can dry out and crack; too high and mold can form, and not only on wood components. The best solution is not a container of desiccant. If power is available where the trailer is stored, the best solution is a dehumidifier. In cold environments where a compressor type dehumidifier might freeze up, there are desiccant type dehumidifiers such as the Ecoseb (somewhat expensive; available on Amazon) that will function at low temperatures. They do put out a little heat also, but will remove up to 15 pints a day. The $195 price tag is somewhat "scary," but when one considers the price of the trailer.....well, make your own decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post

--Dan Meyer
I'm with Dan but I would also chime in by saying I think the humidity inside the trailer if the windows and vent were left cracked open would climb or drop with the humidity that is in the air outside anyway.
Even with no leaks in the trailer everything can feel damp if it's been raining for a week.
Conensation forms when warm air inside and colder air outside and add the fact that your exhaled breath has moisture,will form as drips of water on you windows.
I think this was told to me as an alternative to the expensive damp-rid
Get some calcium chloride flakes, big bag. Place a spaghetti collander over the top of a bucket and pour the flakes in collander.
Water collects and goes into bucket....empty bucket and re-use the flakes.
Anyone ever tried this?

I just take in my matresses and do not have moisture problem here in Maine..I think its just because the humidity is low in the winter time.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #8

Kentucky
Thank you folks for your input! I appreciate every post on this. I was puzzled at the lack of performance of the Damp Rid this year over last year. I think we are having a ton more rainy days this year... but last year the Damp Rid filled quickly with much less rainy days (colder days, but less rain). Yes I think the heater set on 45 does help in the moisture removal as well.

Thanks again!
Ralph