Hunter Compact II Bed Size - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #1

Name: Rochelle
Trailer: Currently Looking
Arizona
Hunter Compact II Bed Size

Really like the idea of being able to lie "lengthwise" in the trailer, but it seems with the added cabinets in the Hunter Compact II there would not be enough length to make side by side twin beds. Hate stepping over my hubby at night! Could a Hunter Compact II owner please let me know the measurement from the back window to the cabinet? I take it that the Hunter Compact Jr. does not have this problem do to less cabinets taking up space. Thanks for your time!
Arizona Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:55 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
58 1/2 inches
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:30 AM   #3

Arizona
Hunter Compact II Bed Size

Thanks so much Brian for that info. Love your trailer. Would go very well with our red 4runner! Is there another Hunter model besides the Jr. that has the twin bed floor plan? Thought I saw one called the Hunter I model that had the lengthwise twin beds. Not sure about wanting to modify cabinets to get the extra length. If anyone has some more info to educate me on the different Hunter models, would greatly appreciate the time. Thanks again to all!
Old 07-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #4

Oklahoma
Registry
I believe there are only 3 models manufactured by Hunter, the Hunter Compact Jr., the Hunter Compact II, and the Hunter I. If you consider modifying the walls within the Hunter Compact II, be aware that they bear the weight of the roof.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #5

Arizona
Thanks for reminding me. Wouldn't want to tweak the shell! I wonder if this remodel would solve our issue. Here are some photos from another member who seemed to solve my problem. Would have to get rid of the bathroom and do some cabinet rebuilding, but really love the layout. Seems more open and usable. I guess we like the exterior look more of the Hunter Compact than the Jr. Also is the Hunter Compact still 6ft x 10ft like the Jr? All info very appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
compactI.jpg   compactIkitchen.jpg  

Old 07-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: Hunter 1 1974
Colorado
We had two twin size mattresses made to fit lengthwise over the side seating areas along with the table underneath for support. Each mattress is encased in its own waterproof soft top cover and we each use our own sleeping bag. No hanky panky just quality sleep and we can crawl out the foot of the bed with no problem.
sandunes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #7

Arizona
That sounded like a great idea until you mentioned "No Hanky Panky!" Guess we will have to get more creative. LOL All kidding aside, did your Hunter 1 come without the bathroom, so the bed area has the longer length for two twin sized mattresses like the Compact Jr? Would love to see a picture of your set-up. I think the best bet for us would be to find the Hunter 1, if that is the case. Also agree that sleeping in a sleeping bag would be easier to transition from sleep to utilizing the beds to create lounge seating with the table for eating. We are getting too old to keep converting a dinette to sleeping or making a bed next to a wall. Camping is suppose to be fun and relaxing! Thanks for your great advice!
Old 07-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #8

Name: Frank
Trailer: Hunter 1 1974
Colorado
OK Check, ours is a Hunter I it has no bathroom. As a general rule we keep the beds up and I remove them and place them in the truck (shell) during days of show and tell. We seldom use the table as we keep one outside with chairs under a canopy. We will try to post pictures later. I have installed a flat screen tv to watch videos works out real well for us.
sandunes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #9

Arizona
Sounds like a great set-up and would love to see your pictures! So the Hunter 1 comes with no bath and the Hunter II has a bathroom? Trying to keep these models straight. Seems like the Hunter I is less common to find? Thanks for all your info.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:28 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
I have two Hunter Compact II's. One has a bathroom and I think that is an uncommon feature.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:32 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Girl View Post
is the Hunter Compact still 6ft x 10ft

Yes
Old 07-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #12

Arizona
Thanks for all the great info. Wish we could find a "cherry" one that has been rebuilt on a new frame and axle. Like to fix the cosmetic issues, but not any structural ones.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #13

Name: Catherine
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
Let us know if you find your "dream" Hunter -- they are vintage and take a while to find. I've a '71 Compact Jr. I found in a downtown Los Angeles salvage yard....

Good luck!
Compact Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #14

Arizona
Thanks a bunch, will certainly let you know if we find one. Looks like you really scored. Must have been a lot of hard work to fix up. We are just wanting to paint, make new curtains, etc. and not have to worry about major repairs. Have a great 4th!
Old 07-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #15

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Idaho
We added a little extension down the aisle. Pretty easy to put away when we’re not using it. Turns the bed into a king bed. Enough room for our 65 lbs. dog to sleep comfortably on the bed with us at night.
Attached Thumbnails
DF19FE7C-4659-47FB-83B3-506FADC15A63.jpg   FC6F92D9-3C92-4078-9BCF-BC055B150B86.jpg  

Rwheeler84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #16

Arizona
Very Clever! Thanks for posting the pics. So do you sleep at a slight diagonal? Trying to picture where the dog sleeps! LOL Looks like a good setup.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #17

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Idaho
Yep, just a slight diagonal. There is a ton of space in the corners closest to door.
Rwheeler84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #18

Name: rudy
Trailer: Hunter Jr Compact
California
Hunter 1 bed dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Girl View Post
Really like the idea of being able to lie "lengthwise" in the trailer, but it seems with the added cabinets in the Hunter Compact II there would not be enough length to make side by side twin beds. Hate stepping over my hubby at night! Could a Hunter Compact II owner please let me know the measurement from the back window to the cabinet? I take it that the Hunter Compact Jr. does not have this problem do to less cabinets taking up space. Thanks for your time!
I have a 74 Hunter 1, love it. I just took a measurement and bed lengths are as follows.

75 1/2 x 24 (2 bed) or 75 1/2 x 73 (1 bed)
Attached Thumbnails
5C77A723-B1BA-4CA6-94FF-5BA7BA2EB823.jpg  
rudymart25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #19

Arizona
Wow, That is one sweet set-up! I really like the floor plan like yours without the bathroom and extended cabinets. The bed area is larger and the curved "end walls" supporting the cabinets create more of an open view. Nice work and thanks so much for sharing.