Hunter Compact ii windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Hunter Compact ii
Kentucky
Hunter Compact ii windows

Hello I am new to this site. I have a 1974 Hunter Compact ii that I just purchased in January. Daffie was supposed to be completely restored. I took her camping last week and was in a monsoon rain storm. Every window leaked. I was able to tarp and finish my stay but I want to be able to stop any and all leaks in the future ...can anyone help????
Quint362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Deborah. When you say the windows leaked, was it around the edge of the window, or seals around the glass, or.... ? And yes, you'll get lots of help and ideas but more information may be needed.

All I can say is don't blob silicone around the outside of the windows, no, no, no!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Leaky Windows
As Donna mentioned, you didn't tell us if it is the frame to fiberglass seal or the glass to rubber seal that is leaking. IF it's the window frame to fiberglass seal that's leaking, what I have done on dozens of f/g Sunrader windows is to take them out, clean up the frame and mating surfaces and then use only RV Putty Tape to make a new sealing surface before putting everything back together. It only works for about 10-15 years, but what the heck.
BTW: Also as Donna D. mentioned, don't pile on silicone sealer, all it will do is point to the very places that the next leaks will occur. Maybe next week, when I have my first Hunter Compact-II in the driveway, I can provide better suggestions, but that's what I have been doing for about the past unpteen years

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Kentucky

Hi Donna, thanks for replying. Like I said it was a monsoon. I have never seen rain so hard. One window on the side seem to have the water pool to the bottom center and then it was a steady stream down to the cushions. Never did "see" the left window just seen the cushions were wet at the corner. The front window had a wet across the top of the cushions. Seem to me the front leaked from the center. I seen it weaving across the quilted walls.

I felt the window on the right side (looking at rear) and it seem to pool inside the metal frame. I look at the windows on the outside and they seem to have new black rubber on the outside of the inside. I will include a photo.

To me and mind you I don't know what I am talking about but maybe needs a new seal??
Click image for larger version

Name:	seal.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	43575
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

First thing to check is to make sure the weep holes aren't plugged up. You should see small slots in the area of the window that slides (outside) and there may be small cup-like covers over the weep holes.. but not always. If you can find the weep holes, it's suggested to take a piece of weed wacker cord, thread it through the holes and make certain they're clear. That should help to keep water from pooling in the tracks, which in turn overflows into the trailer.

Does this make sense?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #6

Kentucky

I have her in the garage so I have time to repair her correctly. I don't and wont glob on silicon. Also It seem to me looking at the rubber seal on the outside it was ummm maybe not cut correctly? Looks like it could have been installed better.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

Kentucky

Donna are those the little slits at the bottom corners? The plastic covers are broken. I originally thought the rain came through those.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint362 View Post
Donna are those the little slits at the bottom corners? The plastic covers are broken. I originally thought the rain came through those.
Probably. The weep holes on my Scamp are about six inches apart and more to the middle of the window. That's on the side windows.

Actually the rubber seal is more for looks than anything when it comes to radius windows. The glass should have been seated in the window with caulk. The rubber seal helps to prevent pooling and gives the window a more finished look. It's not to say, it wasn't installed perfectly, but I'd think you've got a different problem. Like Bob mentioned, you may need to pull the windows out, clean them up and reseal with butyl. It's not hard, I've done it!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Kentucky

Name:	front window.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	43580

This is what I meant by not cut properly. This is the front window
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #10

Kentucky

I don't mind removing the windows. My greatest fear is the the screw holes don't meet up when I try and put them back on....I wish there was a video.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint362 View Post
Attachment 43580

This is what I meant by not cut properly. This is the front window
My Fiber Stream leaked through the corners because the rubber gasket had gaps similar to yours. I used a latex bathroom caulk in a tube pushed into the corner to fill the gap in the rubber. I tried to find one that did not list silicone as an ingredient, but the main thing with silicone is to NOT get it on the fiberglass. Your problem area is only glass, aluminum frame, and rubber gasket.

Name:	000_0051.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	43581
Look in this photo at the center aluminum divider of the window toward the left. Do you see the dabs of white in the corners of the glass? That is the latex caulk I'm talking about.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #12

Name: Karen
Trailer: None
Oregon
Registry
Why don't you use silicone to seal window leaks? We don't understand. Does it damage fiberglass?
- Karen and Allan
Hunter I
Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Silicone sealer pulls back from fiberglass. After a few years you will find that it will just peel off. I always say that silicone caulk is the first place to look when trying to find the source of a leak. When you are looking at used rigs you frequently find multiple layers of silicone caulk layered one in several places.
The warrantee on silicone sealing on fiberglass is about 1 year, then you will get double your original leaks back.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows