Hunter Compact II Windows - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #1

Name: Gagan
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
British Columbia
Hunter Compact II Windows

Hello Friends,

Getting the Hunter ready for Summer; Going to to do a minor resto on it, which will no doubt turn into a major resto. Having a crack at the windows first, excuse the pun. The last owner spread caulking all over the place. which I can remove no problem.

Any advice on removing the windows would be much appreciated. I also would like to know what the gasket material is and where to get it please? Mines perished over the years.

Got loads more to do so we'll probably get to know each other. Looking forward to it.

Chin Chin,

Easy Tiger
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3572.jpg   IMG_3569.jpg  

IMG_3576.jpg  
EasyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
window gasket

Hi Chin Chin,
When I did my renovation, I don't recall replacing the rubber gasket. I suggest taking the window to a window shop. They would be the most helpful to address that issue. Shouldn't cost much.

Fran
'74 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks Francene,

I found a place called steelerubber.com. They can advise by sending photo's with a ruler as a guide for measurement. Thanks again and an extra thanks for the late night messaging. I didnt know you're in a different timezone.

Chin Chin
Old 05-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #4

Washington
Registry
Yes, no problem. Good luck with your windows.

Francene
Old 05-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
It helps to do this with a partner who serves as a Catcher for when you get the window loose enough from the caulking to remove it out of the shell.

Remove any excess caulk around the outside.
On the interior remove the screws that are in the interior trim ring.

On the outside take a thin, flexible putty knife to slide between the window trim and the shell going all the way around the perimeter so break that bond of the caulking under the aluminum trim. I have also used one of the little bent O ring removal picks to dig out stubborn caulk if the window does not push out easily. You can find the little O ring picks at any hardware or auto parts store, they are not expensive.

Set the window down on an old towel on top of a table or other horizontal surface and clean all the old caulking off of it. If your window needs new rubber seals and track run felt for the sliding now is the time to replace those items and get it in good operating condition.

Then clean the surface of the fiberglass.

Next you will apply butyl rubber tape against the aluminum flange or against the fiberlass and set the window back in place. Be sure you get it centered so that the flange does not have any gaps from the opening too close to the edge of the exterior trims. Push the window firmly into the butyl tape. Then the person inside begins to install the screws. When secure it you don't want to start from one end and work towards the other, instead do the following. Do the corners first working on the diagonal mate. Then the center screws top and bottom. Just keep on working on the opposite pairs of screws.

Don't be in a hurry to remove the excess butyl rubber tape that squeezes out on the exterior because it will continue to creep out over the next week or so. No point in trimming it after the window is put in and then be frustrated that you have to trim it again several more days in a row.

Other tips to make the job eaiser:
keep the rolls of butyl rubber tape in a gallon sized ziplock bag in the refrigeration. The warmer the weather the stickier it gets and when it is sticky it is a lot more difficult to apply it. But it will be nice and firm and not too sticky when it comes out of the fridge. That will make the job go a whole lot easier and faster than trying to deal with it sticking to your fingers.

Also it is easier to cut the butyl tape to length with a pair of scissors than it is to try to cut it with a knife.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #6

Washington
Registry
Very good, thorough instructions, k corbin!

Fran
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #7

British Columbia
My friend, that is nothing short of BRILLIANT! Concise yet fastidious. As for the bonus tips.... out of this world!

Chin Chin and Have Aa Great Day,

Easy Tiger
Old 05-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Good luck Chin Chin. I hope you can post your progress. I would like to do this same thing on my camper.

Brian
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #9

British Columbia
Will do old chap. It may take a while, not as if anyone's going anywhere lol. If I can get all done for one of the meetups next year I'd be happy.

Chin Chin,

East Tiger

Tags
windows