Hunter II Canvas Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Gagan
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
British Columbia
Hunter II Canvas Replacement

Hello All

I'm not too handy with a sewing machine, so will have to get the canvas custom made. Does anyone have a ball park price? Haven't purchased yet but seeing one tomorrow with shabby canvas.

Cheers, EasyT
EasyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
My skirt was entirely missing so i scouted around and the least expensive one sewn by a camper supply was about $850.00.... I cut a piece of garden shade cloth about 25 foot by three foot and slowly bolted it all around the top and then the bottom overlapping it in the back. i hand stritched the overlap areas...

this cost be about $25.00 and i have been three days in heavy downpour with the top up and no water inside.... looks of to me and is functional so i'm happy..... it beaths fine for ventilation also...

regards, jim
Jim in Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks Jim
I bought the HCii for $3650 in the end. Yes you can get them cheaper in that condition but they don't come up that often. The boot is intact but all the mesh needs replacing. Think I'll unbolt it and get it done by a craigslist seamstress.

Cheers
Old 05-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyTiger View Post
Thanks Jim
I bought the HCii for $3650 in the end. Yes you can get them cheaper in that condition but they don't come up that often. The boot is intact but all the mesh needs replacing. Think I'll unbolt it and get it done by a craigslist seamstress.

Cheers
No sewing skills is why they make fabric glues and iron on seam tape.
You don't have to be able sew to replace the screening. But it would be handy for you to buy a "seam ripper" to help you pick out and remove the old threads that held the original screening in.

With all the modern no sew adhesive options no one needs a sewing machine to make a replacement. But you do have to be able to measure and cut carefully.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks KC
good idea