Hydro Flame BRC-10A circa 1978 (Chester?) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 14 ft Surfside
As part of the renovation of the old Surfside (1978), I am trying to figure out how this furnace works. There is a gas line going to it but no electric? Is there a fan, or is this an early catalytic? In an old thread found through Google, Chester said he had a manual for this series of furnace. Chester, do you still have that? If so, could you fax it to Doug Reynolds at 970-259-8790? If anybody else can tell me anything it would be helpful. We're replacing just about everything else on this thing, would be nice to leave the furnace as is.
Sandy Gilpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
No fan in my furnace.It was a option at time of purchase.I will fax you a copy tommorrow.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I have a Suburban Furnace in my Love Bug and a Hydro-therm in my Starcraft pop-up. Both furnaces are convection type without a fan and no electric hookups. I do mostly boony camping and do not own a generator. We go without any electricity. I have had many nights in national parks and in the boonies where our convection furnaces kept whispering away and the neighbors tried to stay warm with dieing batteries to run their furnaces. Sometimes simplicity is a wonderful thing.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #4

Thanks Chester and Bob. Anybody have input on safety issues or concerns?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #5

Mine is built in and exhausted to the outside.Combustion chamber is totally isolated.As Bob says.Works great.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
As with running any propane device, always have proper ventilation.

My furnace has a fan, and is vented, but even so, I leave the window above my head cracked a smidge. Can't hurt and it isn't open enuff to make a dent in the inside temp the furnace produces.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
As part of the renovation of the old Surfside (1978), I am trying to figure out how this furnace works. There is a gas line going to it but no electric? Is there a fan, or is this an early catalytic? In an old thread found through Google, Chester said he had a manual for this series of furnace. Chester, do you still have that? If so, could you fax it to Doug Reynolds at 970-259-8790? If anybody else can tell me anything it would be helpful. We're replacing just about everything else on this thing, would be nice to leave the furnace as is.

Faxed
Ches
Old 01-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I have a CO/smoke detector in the camper. I don't worry about CO poisoning. I don't leave a window open either. When I am at home, I don't leave a window open when the furnace runs, but then again, I would never use an unvented space heater in my house. I will not use an unvented heater in my camper either. These furnaces are properly vented when installed properly. Check them out when you buy the camper to make sure that there are no rust holes or other damage and then use them. I do take the precaution of using a CO detector remember.

I work in a hazardous environment (Federal Prison) and take as many precautions as posible. I don't worry all of the time or I would die of a stress related heart attack. I would however leave a window open if I were using the gas stove or a gas light.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #9

Chester -- we received the fax--Thanks!

To everyone else, thanks for your input. My husband and I are interested in doing a fair amount of boondocking and it turns out that we probably lucked out with our furnace!
Old 01-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...When I am at home, I don't leave a window open when the furnace runs, but then again, I would never use an unvented space heater in my house...
Same here, but I did notice that when my 1970's vintage home furnace was replaced a few years ago, the installers added a fresh air vent from the outside to a point near the furnace air intake to meet current safety regulations.

The Suburban furnace in my Boler not only vents exhaust to the outside, but apparently draws in air for combustion from the outside (unlike my home furnace) - it uses a fan to do that. Since there are many furnace designs, I would want to know just how any furnace I used was arranged to understand what ventilation is required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1978 17 ft Boler
New to Boling, I too have a HydroFlame BRC 10A furnace. We spent the first night in the trailer last night-started up the furnie in the morning to take the chill off and came to realize the furnace wasn't going to shut off by itself. I had the setting on "Low" but it got so hot that it discolored some of the paint on the outside of the grill! eek! I'm glad we didn't turn it on before falling asleep last night. Any chance of getting a copy of the afore mentioned manual, Chester? I'd certainly appreciate it. If it's at all possible, could you fax it to 306-773-0066? I haven't a clue how these things operate so any info at all (from anyone) would be a big help as far as figuring out what the problem is and how to fix it (before we become 'camper flambay"!)

Noni
Winona T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #12

Name: Terry
Trailer: unknown 1974ish
Manitoba
Sorry for the necro post, but I just came across this site in between google searches and pulling my hair out. I picked up an old camper with this furnace in it, and although the pilot lights fine (and all other propane appliences in the camper), the furnace will not throw any heat.

I've tried blowing everything out, 'cleaning' the thermocoupling with some sand paper, heating with a torch... nothing seems to work. help please!

Terry from Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Blowing it out doesn't do much. You will need to take the orfice assembly out and clean out the spider nest. Also clean the burner assy while your at it. Vac out all the rust.
If the pilot lights and stays lit your half way there.
Those nest are so sticky the low presure gas won't go through it.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #14

Name: George
Trailer: Lark
Ontario
I just acquired an Edson Lark trailer with this exact furnace in it. It has been sitting for years. The pilot will light but not stay lit. I am nervous to disassemble it without a reference manual. Any ideas where to get one?

George
glang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #15

Name: Leah
Trailer: Shopping
Alberta
Would I also be able to get a copy of this manual!? Thanks!
LeahF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Sandy, Sorry cant provide a manual but I have lit it once or two. I seem to remember a fan turning on after it warmed up. Does this help? I removed it from our newly acquired 79 surfside, to gain space and reduce noise.

Good Luck
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Blowing it out doesn't do much. You will need to take the orfice assembly out and clean out the spider nest. Also clean the burner assy while your at it. Vac out all the rust.
If the pilot lights and stays lit your half way there.
Those nest are so sticky the low presure gas won't go through it.
Sorry such an old post but not finding much else on this furnace. I don't supposed you had pictures of the two things mentioned above (orfice assembly and burner assay) so I would know what I'm looking for.
Thanks
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
All gas controls will have 4 pipes coming out of it..

1) gas in line, should be obvious, the hose or pipe from the propane tank is connected here...
2) main burner output, this goes to the orifice and on to the burner
3) pilot out line, this is thinner than (2) and goes to the pilot light somewhere above/near the burner
4) thermocouple line, this is thin like copper wire but is in fact a hollow tube, and the end is right above the pilot light

the orifice is inside a relatively large tube that has some air intake vents, this large tube feeds into the burner assembly... the orifice itself is a brass plug with a pinhole in it.

here's a typical orifice tube. gas from the valve controller goes in on the left, the orifice is right inside those air vents on the left side... the tube can be vertical or horizontal, bent or straight, the burner assembly would be at the right end of this tube (not shown)
Attached Images

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Thanks John. Having some fun with it. The main line to the burner is not loosening up very well. Also hard to get a short wrench in there to loosen. Seems I undo a couple thing, they have to spray on some break free to work on things, then come back. The first time I use it after is going to be stinky burning all of that off!
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
For loosening rusted bolts, AeroKroil is the absolute best. PB Blaster is 2nd best. everything else is a distant 3rd.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote