hydro-flame BRC-10A gas spurt through red knob - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Name: Curt
Trailer: HydroFlame Furnace
Alberta
hydro-flame BRC-10A gas spurt through red knob

I've had this trailer for years and the furnace has always been a trusty source of heat, just this winter, I had gas leaking out of the red knob, a little scary when it lit and burped out some gas. I had some burnt eyebrows but that was about it.
I think i have to replace the whole assembly. I tried taking the red knob off. Then attempted the four screws surrounding the knob, but i don't think i would be able to get new parts down to that level.
I'm in the Edmonton AB area, anyone know where to get parts for these old furnaces?
I used to swear by this furnace i used to always rely on it. -20 hunting and this trailer kept me warm all night.
Now when the pilot is lit and also when the furnace is running, you can bump or tap the red knob and hear gas spurting out. Anyone familiar with this? Thanks
cvanrusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a couple of pages worth of furnace documents in the Document Center. Maybe you'll find one that helps you: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...p?do=cat&id=15

What trailer do you have?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
As far as I know there are no parts for old gas valves. I believe there is a rubber diaphragm hidden in that gas valve that has ruptured, and/or the little snap-action metal disc may have cracked. In any case the solution is a new gas valve, a Robertshaw 710-series like the 710-205. If you can't easily fit it in the space in the furnace it can be mounted close outside of the furnace. And if you are not comfortable with gas systems, you'd need to find a pro who is. Gas systems are worth having everything done right! I would never again use that old valve, from what you described!
It may be possible to use 'millivolt' gas valves and have a proper remote thermostat, but I haven't tried that. Oh, and those Robertshaw valves need a propane conversion kit, 1751-013, with the Red screw on top.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:16 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: Boler 1700
Alberta
Hydroflame BRC 10A

I have the same furnace. Did you find parts for it? If so, where? My problem is that mine will not shut off. It has a manual thermostat that mechanically closes the valve, and is now worn. IF you haven't fixed yours, message me: maybe I'd buy yours...or you could buy mine. At least one of us could have a working Hydroflame..
Fiberglass Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 AM   #5

Sure, as I mentioned above I installed a Robertshaw 710-205, available online, and a propane conversion regulator, 1751-013, with the Red screw on top. I mounted the valve outside and next to the furnace, which makes it much easier to plumb. I had to make a base for the jet to screw into, out of a brass plug. Works beautifully.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: Boler 1700
Alberta
Thanks

Ah yes...you did mention that! Sorry, that's what comes of a late night, multi-window session. Yes, I am glad to hear that system worked! I will do something very similar, but I will use the millivolt system with the wall mount controls. So you would have had to replace the pilot light too with a thermoplile/new pilot light, right? Any problems fitting that -- was that what you meant by installing the base for a new 'jet'?
Fiberglass Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Propane looses the stink when there is a small leak over a long period of time and that causes a really dangerious situation should you do something to ignite it. An explosion that will really ruin your life.

You got lucky and really need to have an Expert to fix the unit. Me, I would replace it with a new one.

I hope you have A Propane gas detector along with a CO, Fire and Smoke detectors in your camper.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #8

I re-used the pilot assembly and the jet. The pilot takes standard gas-pipe fittings so I ran a new copper pilot line from the new regulator. The jet screwed directly into the regulator on mine, so I had to make a pipe plug into a new base for the jet. Then a new line to that former-plug-now-threaded-jet-base. I replaced the thermocouple with a longer-line one so it'd reach the new regulator. If you PM me your email I'll send you pics, but I'm going offline for ~2 weeks so please be patient. It's not hard if you are comfortable making copper gas lines. Any furnace tech could do it as well.