Hydro Flame furnace fan replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Hydro Flame furnace fan replacement

OK now it's my turn to ask for help! The fan on my Hydro Flame HF 8012 furnace (1989 Bigfoot 17') has started its 'death squeal' - the end is near. I do some boondocking and last weekend it was -10*C/14*F in a remote 'rustic' campsite. To leave the furnace on (with the original fan) all night is going to kill my battery. Has anyone tried swapping out for brushless fan like they 12V models use in hi-tech settings?
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #2

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I have a 93 "lil Bigfoot" the fan would squeal. I removed the side cover tapped on the armature shaft. ( with a hammer ) the squealing stopped. what is the future ?

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #3

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Kenny - thanks for the lo-tech advice. Fortunately the area around will require that I limit my self to a small hammer and to being gentle! Unlike the starter solenoid in some of my older vehicles.
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Is this a 17' Bigfoot? If it's the same as my furnace, there is no replacement for the fan. Even though the current Hydroflame looks exactly the same from the outside, apparently the fan for the new model won't fit the old model, and they don't sell the old model fan. I would think it could be refurbished, though. Unfortunately, a new Hydroflame is somewhere around $800. To replace with a cheaper Suburban means modifying your cabinets, cutting new holes in the camper shell and filling in old holes. Really no good options unless you're willing to spend some money or do some fabrication work.

This gets into messing with electricity and propane, so don't go into it lightly. With that said, I've pulled my furnace multiple times and replaced most of the electronics. My fan had started making a bit of noise, too. There's a good chance that pulling the furnace, opening it up and messing with the fan assembly could help. It can get a little off center, and that can cause noise. In my case, it had started making noise. After taking it apart and putting it back in, it made more noise. I took it out again and now it's quiet. At least as quiet as these things get.

The way the fan sits in there, it's possible for it get off center. And it's kind of trial and error to get it set right...

Taking the furnace itself out is pretty simple. Digging in to the internals is something I'm guessing you already know whether or not you're comfortable with...

If you decide to, let me know and I'll post some photos. I think I still have them, though I tend to delete old "project" photos once they get a little old.

Furnace Service
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
As to your actual question about a brushless fan, if you find that you can make one work in your current unit, let us know! That would be a great modification. I've never heard of anyone doing this to their furnace.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrorojo View Post
OK now it's my turn to ask for help! The fan on my Hydro Flame HF 8012 furnace (1989 Bigfoot 17') has started its 'death squeal' - the end is near. I do some boondocking and last weekend it was -10*C/14*F in a remote 'rustic' campsite. To leave the furnace on (with the original fan) all night is going to kill my battery. Has anyone tried swapping out for brushless fan like they 12V models use in hi-tech settings?
How about fixing the old motor? I worked at a tool repair place for a couple of years and we used to take everything apart and fix things that were not available. It sounds like your motor just needs to be cleaned and lubed.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace