I am no longer a virgin - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2007, 12:46 AM   #21

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
In your tool box don't you have a 3 fingered retriever like every mechanic on earth owns? Usually kept next to the magnetic, extendable retriever. It is about 24" long, has a thumb button which when pushed opens the fingers so they can grab a small item. Or... use your alternative method of furthering your plumbing education.
Chalk it up to experience
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Gina, the dreaded Black Pyramid is the result of allowing the liquids to drain off before the solids have broken down sufficiently to flow nicely -- Generally, it is the result of draining the black tank too soon -- The most common newbie fault is to connect the black tank to a full-hookup sewer line and leave the gate open -- Second most common is to try to dump the tank when it is mostly empty already (like after a short weekend use) -- If one must compulsively dump after a weekend, one must flush the tank with a wand or a garden hose down the toilet or roof vent.

Chemicals added to the tank to kill stuf are also good for creating blockages, to say nothing of screwing up the dump station's sewage system -- It is better from a number of perspectives to add stuf to your tank that helps the digestion process.

Bill's advice above re: sanitation and flushing sequence is spot on. I would add that if one is traveling on vacation or FullTiming or whatever, it is best to dump on **arrival** at a CG rather than departure; the dump station is less likely to have a line and the black tank will be somewhat mixed from being on the road rather than settled in camp.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #23

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Kurt, no, but I do the 3 finger salute very well.

I wanted one of those for xmas.. had it on my list, but no one gave me the....

I did the sequence wrong. Liz told me to do the black first, but I was a little.. anxious and forgot.

Ack, I will get it right one of these days.

I am not sure about towing with something in the tanks. Might be a hold over from my "watch every ounce" with the Element and 13 combo.

I am sure I have a full 1500 lbs more to go before I max the Jeep out, but...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I am not sure about towing with something in the tanks. Might be a hold over from my "watch every ounce" with the Element and 13 combo.
Me either Gina...I fear the flapper will somehow open on the toilet and I'll end up with "stuff" all over the bathroom I have been known to put a bag of ice into the black tank prior to leaving on a trip however
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:54 AM   #25

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I think I got this URL from this site so it's probably been seen before, but I think it bears repeating for those who may not have seen it:

http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html

Check out the section on Macerators and other Sewer Stuff.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote