I DO remove the old foam weatherstripping when replacing with bu - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
It's 70 degrees in Kansas today so I went and got the egg out of storage. I successfully got the bathroom window out of my Scamp today with no problems. The reason why I had to do it was because of this:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=33277

I just want to verify that I take out the old foam-ish weatherstripping that was in there before I replace with the new butyl. Also, the whole frame between the actual flip-up window and the frame it rests in is filled with silicone caulk. The window opens normally but it it sure looks ugly. I'm guessing it was an attempt to stop the leaking but I think they had the wrong idea as to where it was. I'd like to remove it but it looks like a lot of work! Or, was this there because they are prone to leak as a result of the tilt of the window? Thanks.

Edited title. Also, I am taking pictures as I go along and will post the step-by-step when it's done if there is any interest.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you're talking about any foam gasket that is on the back of the window frame (that rests against the body of the trailer) then, yes remove it. You want the butyl to be right on the frame, That's what will seal the frame to the trailer.

As far as the silicone? hummmm. If it were me, and it's not, I'd make every effort to clean the window up before reinstall. You have to be careful about using tools on the frame, it's aluminum and will nick and gouge pretty easily. But, you can paint it when you're done to give it a fresh look.

You may want to try this silicone remover too. I have no first hand experience with it, but silicone is one of the hardest things to remove from these trailers, especially when someone has put it on with a wide brush or big hands! Use a plastic knife, rather than metal to use as a scraper.

McKanica® Silicone Caulk Remover Gel

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Another silicone victim I feel for you, but, like Donna, I would probably attempt to remove it. It can stick to aluminum like the devil though (meanwhile separating from the surfaces you wanted it to stick to.

I agree with all that Donna has posted, except that - in my experience - it's a real pain to keep aluminum windows painted (if they started out as bare aluminum), so I would be fairly reluctant to go that route, unless I absolutely had to.

Also, once you get the foam off the frames, you might want to give them a wipe with either acetone or denatured alcohol (or the like) before putting them in with the butyl.

It's going to feel great when you've got all of the "dreaded PO" stuff fixed and it's all warm and dry

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Raya is right, painting aluminum can be tricky. There are all aluminum automobile bodies... anyone remember the Austin Healey? So it is doable with long lasting results. You need to use a primer made for aluminum. Here's a Rustoleum product: Latex Aluminum Primer - Provides excellent adhesion on aluminum and galvanized surfaces. and here's some how to: Painting Aluminum Aircraft, Outboard Motors, Decks, Houses, Etc.

This information is about stuff around the house... like lamp posts, but parts of the info still apply... like how to clean:
Q: How do you suggest cleaning the surface. Do you know where I can get acid etch primer?

A: This is the follow up for preparation and painting the aluminum house. Scrape and remove all loose paint. For the remaining paint sand smooth and feather the edges. Clean the entire surface with a heavy duty water reducible detergent such as Formula 409. Follow instructions for general cleaning and rinse with clean water. Apply the acid etch primer also following product instruction for mixing and application. Within 24 hours of primer application apply either an acrylic gloss latex paint or solvent borne maintenance enamel. The acid etch primer is available at most national brand paint stores or at an automotive paint store.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
I am taking pictures as I go along and will post the step-by-step when it's done if there is any interest.
Bryan, that's one thing ALL members here are fanatical about. By all means show us the pics and let us share it with you.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #6

I would really enjoy seeing the step-by-step. I wonder if you might consider posting as you go along, instead of all at the end. You might get some good feedback, and also, if you're anything like me, that "big project" of posting it all in a "finished" package at the end gets to be a bit intimidatintg, and sometimes falls by the wayside (I've been guilty of this in the past...)
Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
... There are all aluminum automobile bodies... anyone remember the Austin Healey?
Sorry for the sidetrack but couldn't resist -- "anyone remember the Austin Healey?" One of my tutors had a couple of 3000's while I was at college. Here's some from the 2008 Eurofest at Spartanburg last year ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy_of_IMG_0141.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	17781
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I would really enjoy seeing the step-by-step. I wonder if you might consider posting as you go along, instead of all at the end. You might get some good feedback, and also, if you're anything like me, that "big project" of posting it all in a "finished" package at the end gets to be a bit intimidatintg, and sometimes falls by the wayside (I've been guilty of this in the past... )
James, I started a new topic about this repair and took several pictures.

Raya, I would have loved to have gotten more suggestions along the way but I had the window out and and a rainy forecast on the way so I powered through it today and got it done. I hope I didn't do it wrong. Ha, too late now!!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
I guess I should have done a tutorial on removing and replacing windows and or refurbishing same like I did about rebuilding A Boler door. When I replaced my windows about 4 or 5 years ago I didn't think to take step by step pictures as I assumed everyone would be aware on how to do it. I can see from numerous comments on the site that is not the case.
And as usual the evil silicone raises its ugly head again. I have been getting into some real debates with building contractors who want to use it everywhere.
My rank for the day.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #10

Quote:
And as usual the evil silicone raises its ugly head again. I have been getting into some real debates with building contractors who want to use it everywhere.
I hear you Con. I was looking through the Scamp parts page today and in the "adhesives" category they have three products available: Two kinds of silicone and non-butyl putty tape (no other sealants!). I had to refrain myself from saying anything when I called them (to ask a few questions about other parts they sell).

(I'm not picking on them particularly, by the way, it's just that I was just checking out their website this afternoon, so it's fresh in my mind.)

Why do people love it so? Is it the "cute clear jiggly" aspect? Or?

Raya

PS: It does help to read your rant and smile