I need a brand name of combination lock for a Casita door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I need a brand name of combination lock for a Casita door

Hello friends!

Can anyone give me a brand name of a company that makes combination locks that fit Casita doors? This is all I'm looking for. Of course a model number would be nice to but I don't need any other advice on how to keep my autistic niece inside or outside of the camper because I've heard it all.

My 16-ft Casita spirit is in the shop and they cannot find a combination door lock that will fit how thin the Casita door is. I want it to have buttons on the outside that can be pushed or touched to quickly put in my code. I need to leave the camper locked all the time, even when I'm in the campsite, so that my niece cannot get in there without me. And yes, even when I'm very close to her, it is still a problem for her to try to get in there without me. Then we have a fit. I need her to just be able to go over to the door at any point in time, try to open it, see that she can't get in, and then go on to something else without a fit. And no she will not retain the code If she sees me enter it.

Do any of you have a lock on your Casita door that has a combination? Can you tell me the brand or even the model number if you know it?

I would honestly like one that needs the combination in order to be opened from the outside and from the inside but many people are telling me that doesn't exist.

Please no suggestions about that being a fire hazard because a) She has never in there without me, b) we have a fire escape that is right over my head while I'm sleeping so she can't get out without me feeling her and c) anything is better than her getting out in the night without me knowing and drowning in a pond. (Yes, I know about alarms, we have one and it is not a good solution, adequate but not good. Since I need a new lock anyway, I want a better solution.)

PS, my other door lock broke completely, They say it can't be fixed.

So, if you have a combination door lock on it your Casita, please give me a brand name!

Thanks, Indiana Lynn
Indiana Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The RV lock combination that I see being installed on some Escapes and some Casita's will NOT work on your 16' Casita because it doesn't have a flat door. THAT is the problem.

Good luck.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
If what you'd like doesn't exist, a hasp and padlock might work.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If a hasp or similar device is installed on the outside of the door, be sure it can be disabled so that someone can't lock the door with it while you are inside.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #5

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Combo Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
If what you'd like doesn't exist, a hasp and padlock might work.
Bauer makes a combination keyless lock that will fit the Casita trailer.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
Bauer makes a combination keyless lock that will fit the Casita trailer.
But ONLY the 17' Casita because it has a flat door. The 16' Casita has a curved, aircraft-style door and it will NOT work.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
I owned a 16' Casita for 15 years. The stock door lock was problematic and could be popped open with a flat pry bar. The striker used the metal door frame. Sometimes when I hit a bump the door would come open.

I wanted more security, so I installed a finger locking "Jimmy Proof" deadbolt type lock. The metal edge of the frame needed some filing to make the striker plate fit. It uses a key, but I think an electronic version of it might be manufactured.

If you can't find the electronic jimmy proof lock, the standard keypad deadbolts could be made to work. You would have to grind down the "bolt" part and/or use spacers to fit the door jam. The spacing will be sufficient when it unlocks without binding. Get a bag of 25 #8 SST washers.

You might want to experiment with a $9.95 chinese special first then you won't risk ruining the $79 one. Since the door has a curve, put a good bead of white RTV around the edges after the keypad satisfactorily works.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
But ONLY the 17' Casita because it has a flat door. The 16' Casita has a curved, aircraft-style door and it will NOT work.
If a conventional RV lock can be fitted to a curved door , why not the combo lock? Is something different about it which prevents that?
Attached Thumbnails
door latch 002.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #9

Perhaps it would be best to say the electronic lock will not work on an aircraft-style door without modifying the door. Might even need to modify the strike plate area. It's definitely not a plug 'n play lockset. As is said, anything is possible if you throw enough time and/or money at it, perhaps this is it!
Old 12-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #10

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1971 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Combination lock

All it will take is to purchase the lock set you like and then modify the door so it will accept it. Not as difficult as it sounds, fiberglass is easy to repair if you mess up the first time, you will probably need to build spacer plates and modify the striker plate. A fun off season project.
rjanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #11

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lynn View Post
Hello friends!

Can anyone give me a brand name of a company that makes combination locks that fit Casita doors? This is all I'm looking for. Of course a model number would be nice to but I don't need any other advice on how to keep my autistic niece inside or outside of the camper because I've heard it all.

My 16-ft Casita spirit is in the shop and they cannot find a combination door lock that will fit how thin the Casita door is. I want it to have buttons on the outside that can be pushed or touched to quickly put in my code. I need to leave the camper locked all the time, even when I'm in the campsite, so that my niece cannot get in there without me. And yes, even when I'm very close to her, it is still a problem for her to try to get in there without me. Then we have a fit. I need her to just be able to go over to the door at any point in time, try to open it, see that she can't get in, and then go on to something else without a fit. And no she will not retain the code If she sees me enter it.

Do any of you have a lock on your Casita door that has a combination? Can you tell me the brand or even the model number if you know it?

I would honestly like one that needs the combination in order to be opened from the outside and from the inside but many people are telling me that doesn't exist.

Please no suggestions about that being a fire hazard because a) She has never in there without me, b) we have a fire escape that is right over my head while I'm sleeping so she can't get out without me feeling her and c) anything is better than her getting out in the night without me knowing and drowning in a pond. (Yes, I know about alarms, we have one and it is not a good solution, adequate but not good. Since I need a new lock anyway, I want a better solution.)

PS, my other door lock broke completely, They say it can't be fixed.

So, if you have a combination door lock on it your Casita, please give me a brand name!

Thanks, Indiana Lynn
TRIMARK is a common RV lock brand, that also gets problem w/ broken LATCH bolt that will not unlock; not sure about Casita, if they have any special requirements? I think there are square and D-shaped paddle locks, D-shaped more common? Search TRIMARK on ebay/Amazon to see the different types, usually and EASY DIY job, and a bit of clear SILICONE GREASE or vaseline on Latch Plate can make tremendous difference.
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita