I Need a Vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I Need a Vent

I have an older Parkliner that has the air conditioner under the seat.

There is a piece of fiberglass that separates the air conditioner area from the leg area under the table. I want to cut a hole in the fiberglass and put a vent in, so that air can be pulled into the ac.

Can someone tell me what this vent is called so I can buy one? I imagine I can get it at a big box store, but would like to check to see who has it in stock.

Thanks
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #2

Virginia
I think maybe I found what I need. It can be opened and closed which I think would be good. It's just a sidewall/ceiling white register. It's meant for the air to flow out and I plan on using it to draw air in.

I'm open to a better idea.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The condenser intake air should be drawn from the outside. There should be a baffle to get the outside air to the A/C condenser. The evaporator air (inside air) is drawn from and exhausted to the inside of the trailer usually in the front of the A/C. If you are trying to draw inside air for the condenser you will be pumping conditioned air outside.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
The condenser intake air should be drawn from the outside. There should be a baffle to get the outside air to the A/C condenser. The evaporator air (inside air) is drawn from and exhausted to the inside of the trailer usually in the front of the A/C. If you are trying to draw inside air for the condenser you will be pumping conditioned air outside.
Eddie
The design didn't work, which is why they now roof mount the ac. I'm just trying to figure out how to get it to cool better than it does now. It's wedged in with no air space on either side or on the top. There is a baffle, but it only separates the exhaust from the rest of the ac.

Here is a picture that shows the problem. The ac is crammed in this hole under the seat until the rear of ac is pushed through the divider creating a hot area behind it. There is no obvious way to get air to the side vents from the outside.

They went to a lot of trouble to make a hole in the floor and have it open under the trailer and covered with a screen, but since there are no vents in the bottom of the ac, very little air can flow from under the ac to the side vents.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I was going to suggest what they did in their install. Can it draw air from the front side under the front storage area (drivers side)? By putting your intake near the floor you will be sucking out the coldest air in the trailer.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Same problem here. If you find a good solution, i'm all ears (or eyes … for reading these posts)
Yes, you don't want to draw inside air to the "HOT" side.
I was going to crawl under our trailer to see if there is a vent in the floor.
Another problem, I think, is that the warm air vent grille on the outside, is too low and too small.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Same problem here. If you find a good solution, i'm all ears (or eyes … for reading these posts)
Yes, you don't want to draw inside air to the "HOT" side.
I was going to crawl under our trailer to see if there is a vent in the floor.
Another problem, I think, is that the warm air vent grille on the outside, is too low and too small.
AHA! I found the A/C air vents under the Parkliner. they are on a vertical surface in the fiberglass next to the frame rail. Lined with screening. 3 or 4 holes about 2.5 inch diameter. The "hot" air exhaust vent seems to be large enough. The fan inside the A/C should be enough to push that warm air out. But looks like a not very efficient fan. There just isn't enough room around there to supply sufficient air flow to cool the condenser coils.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote