I Need Some Help With Frosty Window Water Pooling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I Need Some Help With Frosty Window Water Pooling

Hello to Everyone,

I have a 2012 scamp 13 with the 8 x 18 frosty window over the stove. I noticed that even when window is closed, water pools in that lower track. Normal or no?

It's dark but a couple of other things I've observed:

What I would term as weatherstripping that window glides over before it closes is lifted up on one corner. Glue has been lifted. If I should re-glue that, what product to use?

Also noticed in about same area, but in back of window glass itself what appears to be a black butyl or something is oozing up at bottom edge of window, lower portion, just curling out where I assume window glass meets frame. Is this what Scamp uses to seat window glass against frame? Is this just extra ooze or is something amiss? I don't see or feel the sticky butyl anywhere else along the glass.

No leaks on rat fur below window at all. Or in what I thought might occur in outer fridge vent compartment.

It must be noted trailer was in accident on that side, repaired at factory. I don't have any paperwork on that.

Outer frame if you will is solid and intact and silicone scamp uses around window also tight.

Any suggestions to help me learn are greatly appreciated. And I'll get pics tomorrow if they're possible to snap as it's such a teeny area.

Warmly,

Wendy

Window operates normally, open and close.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Not sure about some of the issues
But you might want to check if it has weep holes and if they are plugged
In my Perris pacer I fished something like the string from a weed eater thru them and was surprised how plugged they were and how much water is captured
Just a thought

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Is the water pooling on the inside of the frame or outside? Is it condensation or actual rain water. On the outside of the frame there are plastic caps that come off and inside are the weep holes that may be plugged. As Alan suggests running some weed eat line through them will clear them.

The black putty stuff around the window is normal. If its a big glob that is bother you, you can you use sharp knife to trim it back neatly.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:26 AM   #4

New York
Registry
Frosty Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Is the water pooling on the inside of the frame or outside? Is it condensation or actual rain water. On the outside of the frame there are plastic caps that come off and inside are the weep holes that may be plugged. As Alan suggests running some weed eat line through them will clear them.

The black putty stuff around the window is normal. If its a big glob that is bother you, you can you use sharp knife to trim it back neatly.
Thank you both for writing about this to me. Since becoming mechanically inclined is only a newer venture for me, I'll have to ask some dumb questions. Yes, I believe it is rain water as it has been raining the past couple days, but I could check it on dry days as well and let you know.

My question is that I don't understand what you mean by inside and outside of the frame. Boy is that dumb, huh? I do notice that the little window itself, glass and smaller frame, is "smaller" than the actual opening, and sits inside a plasticky/metal type radius "frame." I don't know what you mean by plastic caps Carol, I'm sorry. This particular window does not have the weep hole slits in the outside frame that say, my slider window in the rear of the trailer has. I have already done the weed wacker cleanout to that rear window, so I am familiar with that. I just ran the line from the outside slit of a weep hole through an inner channel. If there are outside weep holes, I'm not seeing them.

When the window is open, I see an inner, metal channel where the window sits when it is closed and an outer channel that the window passes by before it closes. In the outer channel, a strip of what appears a foamy/rubbery weatherstripping sits, and it has been lifted/unglued on one corner due to what I assume is water.

This window is one of those crankout types and any space I have to work in is so tight. I honestly don't even know how I'll get a good enough view in there without taking off the frosty window. I will try and take some pics this a.m. before I go to work, if they will help at all.

Thanks for the clarification on the black putty. I really look forward to learning more, and thank you so very much!

Wendy
Old 06-10-2015, 04:51 AM   #5

New York
Registry
I just took some pics here this am. I honestly don't know if they'll help the cause but here goes. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433933426.003651.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  15.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433933448.019846.jpg
Size:  17.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433933476.512868.jpg
Size:  13.8 KB
That little white edge you see in there is the part of the foamy/rubbery weatherstrip that is slightly unglued. No weep holes to be seen on outside "frame" if that's what I call it I do have weep holes on my slider. In fact, I don't appear to have visible weep holes on my awning type windows on sides of trailer over dinette either. They must be there?

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433933340.903187.jpg
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433933361.902412.jpg
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433933377.949443.jpg
Size:  13.9 KB

Old 06-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Registry
Sorry Wendy my answer was based on the window over the stove being a slider not a crank out one. I do have a crank out in the bathroom and funny enough it has been to date the only window that leaked, requiring me to remove it and reset it. Your correct the crank outs do not have weep holes on the outside frame. I just went and checked and the small slider window on the passenger side of the trailer over the kitchen sink does not have the plastic cap with a weep hole either.

The foam/seal on the inside in picture 3 looks like it may be your issue. Its does not look to be sitting down into the frame correctly. Could be the picture but it almost looks to me as though the frame it sits in has been bent up or the bottom of it down to allowing it to come free? If it has been you may need to get it straightened before the seal will sit firmly in it.

In photo 1 with the black putty I am not sure but that may be window glazing putty of some kind. It would have been done by the window manufacturer. You could send the photo to Scamp or the window manufacturer to see if they think it may be a problem - but I suspect that what you see is just the extra stuff pressed out between the two window pieces so I would suspect it to be the less likely source of your issues than the rubber seal in photo 3. As always could be wrong though!!! ;-)

Removing that window is pretty easy to do btw if you decide you want to take the whole thing out and have someone check the seal/repair it. There should be just screws on the inside of the trailer that are holding the inside retaining frame - note I am probable using the wrong terms for it as well! ;-) Ones you unscrew/remove the inside retaining frame the outside should just push out - make sure you have someone standing on the outside of the trailer to stop it from falling on the ground! If Scamp used any silicone caulking on the outside of the window you may have to take a sharp knife and cut that before the window will let go. Also you may need to use the putty knife to break the seal between any putty behind the frame and the outside of the trailer if Scamp used any! I say that as one of the issues with my window was they had not used any! If you take it out make sure you clean up any gunk on the fiberglass before putting it back on and reinstall it using Butyl tape between the window frame and the trailer.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #7

New York
Registry
Yes the foam seal. I need some suggestions for a type of glue that bonds rubber/foam to metal. That's where I want to start.

I think the pic is misleading. All is straight and normal from what I can tell. Nothing appears bent to my eye.

I did call scamp. Guy said track is meant to take on some water , even closed. That's what track is for. He said if water isn't leaking over top into trailer, then you're better off not messing with it. He had no explanation for the butyl ooze, other than that is what they use to seal glass to frame. I don't feel the ooze anywhere else though except in that one spot, right above where rubber/foam has lifted. Hmmm...

Old 06-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Also, is there a way to make access to this weatherstripping easier by taking off just the window? Or maybe the screen? It's a "tighta squeeze."

Old 06-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Yes the foam seal. I need some suggestions for a type of glue that bonds rubber/foam to metal. That's where I want to start.

I think the pic is misleading. All is straight and normal from what I can tell. Nothing appears bent to my eye.

Hummm did you ask Scamp if the seal was in fact suppose to be glued down? I thought perhaps it was just fitted in tightly. Might want to send the window manufacture a question on that as different glues interact differently with different plastics - some not so good.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #10

New York
Registry
I did not. I assumed it's supposed to be stuck down as the whole other end is, and this end is lifted. I know you're a 3m fan Carol. I did find a black super weatherstrip adhesive they make for bonding to metal, and then a permatex brand.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I know you're a 3m fan Carol. I did find a black super weatherstrip adhesive they make for bonding to metal, and then a permatex brand.

Yup big fan of 3M products but in this case sorry I really have no experience with their products in the application you are needing. But 3M's literature says it will work then I suspect its a good bet it will.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

New York
Registry
Used the 3m super black weatherstrip and gasket adhesive on the window today. Great product, just a pain in the butt to apply in that little space. Ended up using the ends of q tips with the cotton removed and a putty knife to get the stuff under the weatherstrip. Turned out good though. Well see how it holds up when it gets wet! Fingers crossed...