I replaced the interior skin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13’
Colorado
I replaced the interior skin

Hi all,

I am renovating a 1977 13' Scamp. And despite many warnings about the heavy duty task of ripping out old insulation and replacing it, I went for it!

A few things to note about the process:
- I did a mold and asbestos test to make sure I was in the clear. Fortunately, I was on both.
- I kept as much as the original ensolite as possible, and scrapped off the areas that were torn up.
- I used a combination of reflectix (silver bubble insulation) and marine Hull liner.
- I used 3M 90 spray. it took me almost 6 cans to do the entire job.
- I ordered the hull liner from https://www.dltcorporation.com/
- I got 24 yards of material HL-GM93 Cream. I have plenty of left over, so you could get away with less, but I wanted extra incase I need to repair anything. It looks incredible. This was the least expensive option and the shipping was free.
- I removed all of the furniture except the standing the closet. But I did remove the rivets on the top and side to be able to run fabric behind it.

So beware, this is a process. But definitely doable with some patience, safety glasses, and a solid respirator mask. That 3M90 is toxic.

Removing the previous insulation was easy. A wire brush and scraper.

As for the hull liner, My process was to cut out sections of the fabric that line up with Scamps old cuts. So basically I measured out the the height and width of each existing panel, trim to trim. One by one. I started at the front side center and worked my way up and then to the sides. And then ceiling.

I should note that I did this alone, so I ended up using (2) third arms to hold fabric up against the ceiling.

When using the 3M90, I would spray a 1-2 foot section of the wall and the fabric. Wait 2 minutes until tacky, and then press/roll it on. I went through the entire Scamp this way.

Once finished I was left with gaps between the panels. For this I actually brought my big fabric roll to an upholsterer and had them cut out 100 feet of 2" trim. I wanted those cuts to look professional. Once I got that back, I covered all the seams, and it looks amazing.

The 3M90 holds incredibly well. As long as you give it those few minutes of set up time. Some of the new hull liner is over the old insulation that I left, and some is over the reflectix. It works great on both. I was also able to hide new wiring between the seams and under the trim.

Good luck out there and reach out with any questions.
Snug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:18 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Sounds like a job well done....do you have any pictures of the process as well as the finished jb?
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:56 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
How much do you charge?

To do a 95 19'

Seriously though, how long did it take? Approximate number of hours?

Costs of Materials?
Old 09-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Sounds great! Can’t wait to see your pics!
Forward Look is offline   Reply With Quote