I want new flooring! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I want new flooring!

I will may use sheet vinyl. I was wondering about the bases for the tables. Do I remove them, note the location then reinstall in the same place? I have installed vinyl tile many years ago which worked just fine, the kind you Comb the adhesive on them and place down, but I am thinking of sheet vinyl for better water protection. I was thinking making paper pattern then cutting the sheet vinyl to fit, applying adhesive as I go unrolling the cut vinyl
Am I on the right track? I have no experience doing this, I did am wondering if I should just hire someone!
I don’t know if I should just go with what I have done in the past with the vinyl tiles. There are some really beautiful tiles out there!
Suggestions?
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Some of the new sheet vinyl doesn't require glue--all you'd need would be trim around the edges. I'd use that if I were installing vinyl flooring. I wouldn't use individual tiles for the reason you wrote. Be sure to make sure you get the kind that doesn't need glue, though, I can't tell them apart just looking at them. As for hardware, yes, probably mark location on your paper pattern and replace over the top. Maybe seal cut areas with butyl tape or something.

People have done all kinds of things--hardwood, pergo, sheet vinyl, tiles, carpet...even hand-painted floors with layers of clear sealer.

We do love photos!

BEST
Kai
Old 03-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I used vinyl plank flooring. Completely waterproof. I purchased it from Windsor Plywood in Canada.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_104129.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	116741
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We used the vinyl plank flooring as well, and love how it turned out! (However, we did leave the carpet underneath both tables.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171022_152811028.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	116742
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:57 AM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I used vinyl plank flooring. Completely waterproof. I purchased it from Windsor Plywood in Canada.Attachment 116741
nd of the Roll carpet sales in Canada carry it to, so does most Engineered, Laminate, Vinyl flooring companies up here carry it, so does Home Depot, and Lowes carry it so you should be able to find this stuff just about anywhere. We used it in our Rexhall 26' Motorhome, got rid of the forever dirty carpeting. My wife installed it she said she just Clicked it in, glued the odd one the 2nd time around to stop movement.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leej View Post
I will may use sheet vinyl. I was wondering about the bases for the tables. Do I remove them, note the location then reinstall in the same place? I have installed vinyl tile many years ago which worked just fine, the kind you Comb the adhesive on them and place down, but I am thinking of sheet vinyl for better water protection. I was thinking making paper pattern then cutting the sheet vinyl to fit, applying adhesive as I go unrolling the cut vinyl
Am I on the right track? I have no experience doing this, I did am wondering if I should just hire someone!
I don’t know if I should just go with what I have done in the past with the vinyl tiles. There are some really beautiful tiles out there!
Suggestions?
If you go with vinyl flooring of the plank type get the stuff at Home Depot. It glues to each other and is water proof pretty much. It is beautiful. You must stagger the seams and don't put it tight to the wall. It needs to have expansion room of 1/16 of an inch at least. We've used it in our house in 3 rooms and it's awesome stuff and holds up well. It will conture to any slightly unlevel spots. Get info on how to install it to make it beautiful and functional. I wouldn't buy the stuff at Lowe's that clicks together. It can come undone and you're always having to reclick it. So that would make it not waterproof. I really think sheet vinyl would be easiest but get good quality stuff. Our floor man said the sheet stuff isn't good quality any more. Hope this helps.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote