Ideas for Hole Where Stovetop Used to Be... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Name: Alli
Trailer: 1974 Boler
British Columbia
Ideas for Hole Where Stovetop Used to Be...

We pulled out the stove top (out of our 13ft 74 boler) and now are mulling over what to do over the hole. Wooden cutting board screwed into top, oooorrrr.... I admit I keep looking at that darned thing and feel clueless. I'm usually full of ideas but the cutting board thing seems to be all I can come up with. Any pics or advice/ideas at all are super appreciated!!!!
BCAlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bigger sink... like dual bowls? Seriously, somewhere here on FiberglassRV is a picture where someone had covered the entire counter with a neato shuffleboard (all wood) great for cooking and food preparation. How about filling the hole so it's flush and putting a fresh piece of formica down? Excellent opportunity to personalize your trailer in a color you like.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
At my house (shop) that question is easily (and often) answered.
You now have an oportunity for a new counter top. My weapon of choice for that is the solid wood counter tops available at IKEA such as the Lagan series like this:
LAGAN Countertop - 49 5/8x25 5/8 " - IKEA
or, as Donna mentioned, a larger sink.
IKEA also has a nice round and very deep stainless steel sink for less than $50.00
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99897221/
or my s.o.'s favorite:
A stainless steel sink with built in drainer (several sizes and shapes are listed, here's one) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39847465/

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

British Columbia
well now that you all mention it, a new sink would be nice... may as well rip out the old one and start fresh with countertop and sink i suppose. wasn't in the plan entirely, but plans change don't we know
will ponder and price out
Old 03-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
A nice large one piece countertop would give you complete freedom to put in a differend sink (maybe an undercounter type?). It doesn't look "patched" that way.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #6

Here's a post where Keith and Dee put the Lagan into their SOB: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post220280 Looks sweet!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #7

British Columbia
that does look niiice.
i will admit we are not handy types, so i have to figure out the easiest (not to mention budget friendly) route for us to take with the counter/sink scene. i do hate that bitty sink with the super low taps that really can't be functional to anyone - so getting a deeper sink (maybe one with a 1 1/2 basin with grate) with a taller faucet plus a new countertop slab to cover the hole and freshen things up seems the way to go. i'm sure there are tutorials to show us how to do something like that. i think my husband thought we'd just block up the hole with a jazzed up piece o' wood - won't he be surprised when i propose the above! HA!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
I too was contemplating removing the cooktop in our Trillium and thought the Ikea LAGAN counter top was nice looking.

I checked out the price - very reasonable at $39 in the USA, not so reasonable at $70 in Canada...maybe a trip across the line is in my future.

We're currently renovating bathrooms and have discovered huge discrepancies in the prices of toilets and taps between the normal DIY big-box stores in the Vancouver area and the same ones just across the border in Bellingham. (I sometimes have troubles justifying in my mind such huge differences for the same product)
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #9

Another suggestion, if weight isn't a huge concern... there's a "bone yard" of items contractors/remodelers remove from stick built homes not far from me. I've often thought I'd like to have a full Corian countertop with the built in "deep" sink in my trailer. The stuff is cheap at the bone yard. Finding a large enough piece with the sink at one end, versus in the middle, may be a bit tough. But would be cool! YMMV

Alli, it took me ten years and a bunch of camp outs to finally change the sink faucets to a high rise and paddle handles. YEAH! Should have done it 9-1/2 years ago! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nce-47394.html
Old 03-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Swinnard View Post
I too was contemplating removing the cooktop in our Trillium and thought the Ikea LAGAN counter top was nice looking.

I checked out the price - very reasonable at $39 in the USA, not so reasonable at $70 in Canada...maybe a trip across the line is in my future.

We're currently renovating bathrooms and have discovered huge discrepancies in the prices of toilets and taps between the normal DIY big-box stores in the Vancouver area and the same ones just across the border in Bellingham. (I sometimes have troubles justifying in my mind such huge differences for the same product)
I hear you David - I got my Nexus a year ago and have never looked back. I do most of my shops across the line, sad but true. I rarely have [duty]problems coming back either, so it makes sense to get the most bang for your buck and make the trek.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bigger sink... like dual bowls? Seriously, somewhere here on FiberglassRV is a picture where someone had covered the entire counter with a neato shuffleboard (all wood) great for cooking and food preparation. How about filling the hole so it's flush and putting a fresh piece of formica down? Excellent opportunity to personalize your trailer in a color you like.

Does one buy formica themselves and create the countertop or is that something professionals do? I sat in "*Eunice" for a while and think that a nice creamy soft buttery yellow countertop would be best and i don't think i can get that with wood.

*Eunice was the original name given to our boler by previous longtime owners and no matter how hard we tried to call her 'the creamsicle' or 'gumball' or 'pumpkin' she still seemed more like a 'eunice' so we've gone back to that which seems most befitting of her.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #12

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
You will probably have to lay up the laminate top on a substrate yourself or get a cabinet shop to do it for you. The colors and patterns available are almost unlimited. Because we wanted a different sized sink and a new cooktop we put in a new top. The laminate is a Wilsonart premium with a life time guarantee(for what that is worth) with a ceramic coating,it is tough and wasn't too expensive. Less than $3.00 a square foot-for just the laminate. Add a piece of plywood and an edge and there is a quite small cash out lay even if you have to pay someone to do the lamination for you. The first pic is the finished job, the second is a mock up of the deck with the solid wood edge before the laminate was installed
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2713.jpg   IMG_2231.jpg  

Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
if you didn't want to change the top, could you fill that space with a nicely made "Box" with a lid that sits flush with the top? It would give you more storage space under the counter.

You could store a portable stove in there for those occasions when you DO want to cook insde. It would still be outta sight and outta mind most of the time.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You cook put a cook top there.....

Actually a sunken cook top like this.

NEW RV SMEV DOMETIC 8000 SERIES COOKTOP STOVETOP | eBay
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
LOVE those smevs... but the price just kills me!!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
LOVE those smevs... but the price just kills me!!!
Yea, me, too.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #17

British Columbia
thanks for the suggestion, that IS a nice lookin cooktop!
but, we won't be using propane in our trailer, that's why we decided to just get rid of the stovetop that was there
we've got a great charcoal weber that we'd use to cook anything so not too concerned about cooking inside. i'm super smell sensitive as well so by personal preference nothing is getting cooked inside that small space.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Allie!

Here's what we did with the space.
Attached Thumbnails
P5180018.jpg   IMG_0157.jpg  

IMG_0154.jpg  
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #19

British Columbia
That leaves a nice counter space, so open and clean. We've been sidetracked by some weird leaks so I put my idea center on hold the last few days... Things seem ok now so back to the wee kitchen! Thank you for the pics, I find looking at other folks trailers so helpful!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #20

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
My suggestion? Put the stove back in but leave it disconnected so you do not have to deal with propane. Put a cover and cutting board over the stove so you can use the space. I hate to see people rip stoves, furnaces, fridges, toilets, showers etc from their trailers. One day it may go up for sale and I for one would not touch it without a stove or any of the above abominations LOL!
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote