identifying my camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #21

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
I vote Casita too. scamps always have tons of outside surface rivets that I don't see. Could be camouflaged though. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wheel wells look like Casita - full glass molded into lower shell with no lip. OTOH, rear bumper is angled @ corners, like Scamp. Front tongue doesn't look like either...

EDIT - found an archived ad for a 1983 Casita with the orange-y carpet and small front window:
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/f...200-bastrop-tx
The stock tongue is definitely straight, though, and not curved upward, so I'm wondering if the OP's was modified (maybe for off-road use as a hunting cabin??). Something I'd want to take a close look at to make sure it is solid.

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #23

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
It's a Frankinglass!

Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #24

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Whatever it is (I guessed a Scamp when it was posted on the Facebook Uhaul site.), I will enjoy watching you turn this into "Jellybean." What an opportunity to turn a fright into a sight.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #25

Name: deanna
Trailer: wish I knew
Texas
Thats funny. Maybe someone just used parts from whatever they could find. Kinda like that Johnny Cash song "one piece at a time". Maybe I should change the name to cyborg or something. I did have a question. The molded bench seats in the dinette area, are those available at all? or do you just have to build a bench?
dnanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm thinking Casita too.

The molded bench seats come up every now and then when people mod the insides. I know of some for a boler up here in Canada, no idea if they would fit yours though. A template would tell quickly.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
When you remodel it, be sure to provide some support for the roof. Scamps, Casitas and the like do get stiffening and support from the cabinetry. That is why they have the twisted metal rods or the poles or whatever between the countertop and the upper cabinet, for example. On the other side there is often a closet going from top to bottom. Without some support, roofs can crack and cave in.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #28

Texas
Thanks, I'm sure I will have a ton of questions before this adventure is over. There is no pole between the countertop and cabinet in mine.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #29

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Just to clarify.......it's definitely not a Burro.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #30

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Psychedelic Deer Camp. They made only a few of those. What a find!!!

Good luck in your search. VIN would be definitive. Vin and Make should be on the title, though some makes are pretty cryptic on titles, at least where I come from.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #31

Trailer: 2007 Casita
It's a Casita, unless someone had nothing but time to plaster that horrid brown sculpted carpet to the walls of another brand glass trailer!

I had an 85 for about 2 weeks, same carpet but blue. Shocking blue.

I will tell you, you found a little gem........ Of course it needs a lot of polishing. As for parts, call Casita! They still have them or know of what will interchange with more modern parts. The guy in the parts department is really super cool.

Congrats on your purchase, Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #32

As for the carpet, if it's still attached you can just use a carpet cleaner (upholstery attachment) to clean it. I personally would clean it till the rinse water runs clear!

I clean my current 07 carpet that way.

But in my short ownership of the 85 I did look at other options. Tough job for DYI but can be done. I also spoke with a custom car shop about tuck and roll. As well as a Airstream custom shop and he had all sorts of options for covering the walls. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #33

Texas
Oh yes I know I have alot of work to do. That carpet has to go! To ugly for even this Texas redneck. When I get to that point I will be calling Casita, have been by that plant many times on I45. Always thought those campers were so cute, now I own a hybrid.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't tear out the carpet until you have a firm plan in place and know exactly what it's going to cost you in $$. Of all the things that can be changed in a trailer, the one I wouldn't want to tackle is replacing the ensolite/rat fur/carpet. Those compound curves would be a hair puller and this can be an expensive change.

IMHO I'd get the carpet stellar clean and figure out a way to decorate around it. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don't tear out the carpet until you have a firm plan in place

I agree! It can be done, but it will be a bear to do....... Have a plan long before you even begin. I tore the carpet off the floor and let me tell you it was no easy task! Curved walls as far as replacement goes will be a huge task!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Have you checked out the unusual front tongue yet? Is it welded on to the stock Casita frame, or has it gotten a whole new frame, or…?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #37

Texas
no i haven't looked at the frame that close yet. I wondered though since someone said earlier that the back bumper was curved on the ends which is a scamp feature, if this could be a casita body on a scamp frame? or I read somewhere i think another forum that there is a connection between casita and scamp in the early yrs. Also in the bottom of the closet area the carpet is blue. No support bar on the cabinet which someone said was standard in the casita. It's a mystery. i do have a question though will the scamp hinges for the entrance door work on the casita? someone put regular door hinges on it and then put a sliding latch at the top to keep it shut
Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #38

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Not sure on your frame but really dought that a frame from Scamp and Casita would even be close to a crossover. The two companies may look somewhat the same but they are not related. Have some one come in to clean the carpet. I installed carpet long ago and I wouldn't want to have to replace it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #39

Arizona
Registry
Better clarify...

At first I thought the back bumper looked like Scamp, but I couldn't really see it very clearly. It could be stock Casita. What I do know is the front tongue does not look stock. The stock set-up comes out straight from under the shell. Yours appears to curve upward (check me if that's right or not - sometimes shadows can trick the eye). If so, something's been modified on the frame, and I'm thinking it deserves a close look for safety's sake. Especially if it was done by the same person who painted the shell!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #40

Arizona
Registry
Regarding Scamp and Casita...

They are two different companies, each using their own frame and molds, which are not interchangeable. Some smaller parts likely are - don't know about the door hinges. You might be able to look at their websites and see. You could also ask on this forum as a specific question in a separate thread - I'm sure there's someone who knows.

There is a loose historical connection between Scamp and Casita. When the Boler company in Canada folded, two different people started companies to produce a similar design in the US. Scamp got the molds. Casita made new molds and incorporated some changes. The two companies have each gone their own way since. However, the basic concepts are still similar and derive from Boler: two-piece, single wall shell joined horizontally at the "belly-band", molded interior cabinets riveted to the shell, dropped floor frame with torsion axle suspension.

Other makes, Burro and U-Haul being the most common, used a different concept: outer and inner shells joined vertically (across the top), with interior cabinets molded into the inner shell.