If money no biggy, which FG trailer would you buy? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #81

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
So long as we are dreaming big here

a fiberglass motorhome in pristine condition. oh and a small(13 ft) fiberglass for my driver to use.

If I'm going to dream big I guess I have to have a driver so DH and I can just enjoy the ride and the camping.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #82

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
If money was no object, I think I would move up to the new quad Escape 32' coming out in 2015.

Anyone want a practically new 21'?, I like that 32' model…..on second thought, reminds me of a caterpillar…..
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #83

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Sorry to burst your dream bubble but if you go with the Scamp 16' side dinette you actually end up with less kitchen - maybe even less than your 13'!!! Which is exactly why my dream list includes an Escape with a better layout - dinette up front and not taking away from the kitchen area.
I was thinking of the floor plan 3 which I guess is not the side dinette but does have the little side table going toward the couch off the kitchen.

Or the deluxe A with the front dinette, or deluxe B floor plans. We don't need more kitchen counter as much as we need a table and kitchen storage. Really the deluxe A looks the ticket for us.

We generally cook outdoors but would really not mind a food prep table indoors. As long as I can perk coffee inside in case the weather is god awful I'm good.

The older 13's really only have the cabinets over the sink and stove, no drawers and the furnace is under the sink which pretty much takes up that whole cupboard. I think that is why some convert the hanging closet to a pantry/kitchen storage.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #84

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
My answer has to be I can't buy what I want. When we're out in our Scamp 5er, I sit at in the U-shaped dinette I built or curl up in the loft I remodelled, and see the cabinets and doors I made, the floor plan I created, the upholstery and curtains Lynne made, and I think about the places my wife and I have been, the things we've seen together while travelling with it.

The feeling is something between "home" and "family member" sometimes. I am hoping our Surfside 14.5 project trailer feels the same when we are done with it. My only problem then is figuring out which of the two trailers we should keep.

I can buy a trailer, but it's not the stuff the manufacturer provides that makes it special.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #85

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Right on Peter. Sometimes there's too much trailer angst.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #86

Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
I hope the idea of owning a small molded fiberglass trailer never gets lost with passing generations. It seems like the desire is to go bigger and bigger is popular these days. I was happy to see on this thread that most of you would infact keep or buy a small classic even when money was no object. As most of you know there is a lot of enjoyment in traveling with a trailer that is simple, easy to tow / handle, and that can park and camp in the smallest of RV sites. I was recently down on the Texas gulf coast camping between giants. My trailer was the smallest in the park by far. A couple stepped outside to comment how cute my little trailer was. A my quick reply was "Thanks...I like your big 5th wheel too. It's been a great wind block for us this weekend."

"I haven't traveled everywhere...but it's surely on my bucket list."
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #87
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
If money was no object, I think I would move up to the new quad Escape 32' coming out in 2015.

OMG.....Luv it.... Is that a slide I see just behind the door?
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #88

Florida
Some Day

At the rate Escape is going a 32 foot Escape may be in the cards. At some point a trailer makes less sense and a motorhome makes more sense. The storage in a motorhome far exceeds a trailer, you can really walk around the queen bed, two could fit in the shower at once, you have enough water for a week (100 gallons), it easily sleeps four and can sleep 6 if you make up the dinette and the seating approaches elegant. All the little trailer gripes disappear.

We paid about the same for our 32 foot motorhome as people are paying for Escapee 21s.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #89
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
A good point Norm but those big motorhomes are no fun to drive IMHO. At least with the trailers you can option an interesting vehicle/TV to pull it with.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #90

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I'm always amazed at how some people consider a 21' trailer as anything but small - (at least by US standards).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #91

Texas
With all the bells and whistles plus modifications, tax, title, license, and insurance plus a new tow vehicle some will far exceed the price of a motorhome. Many will never reveal just how much they spent when the smoke cleared just to go camping 10 times a year. How much sense does that make?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #92

Florida
Certainly a 21' trailer is small compared to the many huge fifth wheels, however when the government borrowed a Trillion dollars it seemed small compared to the problem, 10 trillion later we still have the problem and few notice the trillion plus a year.

It's the direction and price.

As to driving a motorhome, it's hard to beat the motorhome's front seats for comfort. As well anyone who's driven one and moves to a trailer, the first thing you mis is the view of the road ahead.

Saying all this we sold our motorhome of 8 years, 100,000 miles and 3 or 4 loops of the USA and Canada and are now little trailer people. It's obvious there are different sizes for different folks and situations. We had many great trips in our motorhome and loved that we could take the grandkids to Alask in relative comfort.

Since we travel so much, the per mile cost of the trailer is relatively small even with all our modifications Over our 7 years of trailer travel the cost of the trailer and tow vehicle ownership on a per mile basis is low.

No matter the size, the importance is what you do with what you have as an early girl friend said ........

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #93

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clinkenbeard View Post
..... My trailer was the smallest in the park by far. A couple stepped outside to comment how cute my little trailer was. A my quick reply was "Thanks...I like your big 5th wheel too. It's been a great wind block for us this weekend."
I think we 13 footers can pretty much expect to be the smallest in the park unless there is a teardrop around

At the Algonac rally we came back from the store and driving up it looked for all the world like our little camper was the "dog house" being towed by the massive motor coach in the next site. At the angle we were coming from our tongue was ending right at their bumper.

We need a bumper sticker that reads "in case of violent storms can I park in your slide out?"

You also raise a good point on cost vs. usage. It sure takes a lot of nights of use before a large new camper is more cost effective than a nice motel. How many nights at embassy suites can you get for $20,000 plus campground fees?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #94

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If its always about money... and those of us looking to buy brand new, we probably all lose. But, it's about time and making memories. Yeppers, I could spend many nights in motels for what my new Escape 5er is going to cost me and still save money. But there's no motel at Dome Rock or..... and it's my dirt, not the thousands before me touching the remote or sleeping on my mattress. How can you possibly put a $$ to the experiences of owning an all molded towable... no matter the budget or what you paid? If not now? When? Every single person (couple) needs to decide what they want for their future. Mine is not going to be like yours....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #95

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Donna But one can always sell their trailer to get back some of their money outlay, that you can't do with hotels.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #96

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Donna But one can always sell their trailer to get back some of their money outlay, that you can't do with hotels.
Dave & Paula
I agree with Donna above...................priceless.

And good point Dave and Paula. Thanks
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #97

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Picked up my casita in may of 2013. Have traveled with it for about 90 days since. Just finishing up a 6+week trip with over 4000 miles on the tug (I don't get lost, just ramblin'along). Since I am still learning its quirks and it is still learning mine, we seem to be a match and quite happy with each other. So, I'm not looking at the present time. The memories are being made for the future as are future plans with additional memories. Imogene, somewhere in north east texas heading toward missouri with a get home date of feb. 1, 2, or 3.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #98

Texas
Perhaps I should apologize for my off topic comment on the cost of owning a RV. (#91) I must admit I also own a fishing boat for pleasure that is similar in every way. I am south of $34,000 with my Escape which is foolish in my opinion.
This thread was about money and choices. Your right Donna. As far as I know everyone has the freedom in the USA to spend their money as they wish.
My thought was that the guy with a classic 1985 U Haul/minivan is most likely enjoying RVing just as much as the guy with the Class A motorhome.
I often find that people with the big boat want something smaller and people with the small boat want to go bigger.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #99

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As to driving a motorhome, it's hard to beat the motorhome's front seats for comfort. As well anyone who's driven one and moves to a trailer, the first thing you mis is the view of the road ahead.
The one BIG thing I sure don't miss about traveling in a motorhome is having to disconnect everything and pack up all loose items just to get milk from the store! Very happy to live without many of the bells and whistles of the motorhome as it means I just unhitch my little old Scamp and set it up and not have to set up and take down again for the balance of my stay.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #100

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too am not keen on the idea of a motorhome. I love to have a separate vehicle for towing, allowing me to do side excursions, many of which are not even possible with a motorhome. I know you can tow a small car, but that is just not my style.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote