Import from Canada to the US ... - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #61

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillybee View Post
What happens if a Canadian crosses the boarder and sells the trailer to you? And then you register it under bill of sale.
A trailer that is registered in Canada can not be legally sold in the USA. It must be legally imported into the USA before it can be sold. An American buying a Canadian registered trailer in the USA would have to take it back to Canada and start the legal import process before they could register it in the USA.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #62

Name: Lilly
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Thanks.. Umm can say after you get done with the legal stuff meaning broker.. Can someone els other than yourself transport the trailer across the border with your paper work? Like a transporter.
Lillybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:30 PM   #63
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Trailer is registered!

[snip]

So I've got my plates, and my "PERM" sticker.

And yes, flat fee of $177.00
Happy dance! Congratulations!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #64

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Thanks!
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #65

Montana
Quote:
Thanks.. Umm can say after you get done with the legal stuff meaning broker.. Can someone els other than yourself transport the trailer across the border with your paper work? Like a transporter.
If you're willing to pay, yes. But if we're talking a $10,000 or less trailer, I think the cost starts not to be worth it.

You pay a broker to import it with you, meaning I think you just meet them at the border and they take care of everything with customs, but you still bring the trailer across. That service seems to be around $200. I don't think a broker does "legal work", then hands it off to you to cross the border. My impression is that you meet with the broker at the border and they work with customs to get you across. The "legal work" all happens right there at customs, in just a few minutes (depending on how busy the traffic is).

To summarize all the posts that explain all these things but you might not have felt like reading, to "import" the RV at the border you need (for Montana anyways):

-A bill of sale. Notarized (certified) helps, or may even be required. This can be any form, homemade or otherwise, that has a place for you and the seller to sign and date, along with a description of the trailer (with VIN) and a purchase price.

-The signed registration/title

-Trailer must have either 1. a DOT safety sticker, or 2. a letter from the manufacturer stating it meets US DOT standards, or 3. be 25 years old or more and therefore exempt from the safety standards.

That's it! Then you fill out 2 forms at the border. They stamp everything and you go on your way.

To have someone pick up the trailer and bring it across and deliver it probably gets expensive.

But what's worth it to you is worth it to you. It's your money.

It's really not hard, depending on the trailer you buy. It's just a matter of making sure you go through the right steps. Like my post mentioned, the hard part is getting the same answer from any two different people. For me, getting across the actual border with the necessary paperwork was very, very simple.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #66

Florida
Okay that's I imported one from the uk few years ago but that was of course shipped over from a boat.. This seems more difficult because of the fine "boarder" line. Wish was as simple in Florida I registered my import with a bill of sale and a weight slip.... That's it
Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #67

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
When we sold our Trillium 1980 to someone from Massachusetts, the CAA Quebec gave me a document to fill to pass through customs.

We communicated by internet, exchanged the necessary documents for the change of registration ...

It was an appointment to the Border, Canadian side, the person had his plate in hand, which we replaced on the trailer and she ironed the problem without borders ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Private_purchase-private_sale_contract_2014.pdf (38.9 KB, 34 views)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #68

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
When we sold our Trillium 1980 to someone from Massachusetts, the CAA Quebec gave me a document to fill to pass through customs.

We communicated by internet, exchanged the necessary documents for the change of registration ...

It was an appointment to the Border, Canadian side, the person had his plate in hand, which we replaced on the trailer and she ironed the problem without borders ...
This form would be go for Toronto correct? Where would I find that.. Also your saying you didn't go through a broker.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #69

Montana
Very few people go through a broker. The only reason I would use a broker is if a. I had way more money than time or b. the trailer was less than 25 years old but had no DOT sticker.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of "laziness", not meant in a mean way. Just in the way that any of us will often pay sort of silly amounts of money to have someone else do something we're feeling too lazy to do. That's really the only point of a broker, other than getting a trailer less than 25 years old with no DOT sticker across the border.

It's really ok to do yourself.

Are you in Florida? If that's the cause of this...I've gotta say...either you've got the money to throw around to just pay someone to do all this for you, or you really shouldn't be looking all the way to Canada for a trailer. What kind of trailer are you looking at? You really want a specific Canadian manufacturer, I guess?

If you have the means to make this happen, then yes, I'm 99% sure there's a way to pay a company to get the trailer, import it, and deliver it.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #70

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Okay that's I imported one from the uk few years ago but that was of course shipped over from a boat.. This seems more difficult because of the fine "boarder" line. Wish was as simple in Florida I registered my import with a bill of sale and a weight slip.... That's it
The Border line is very clearly defined - both on land and via ship.

In the situation you describe the port the ship discharges the trailer at is considered to be a Port of Entry i.e. the border - all goods arriving by ship from other countries are treated at the discharge port the same as it would at a land based border & as such go though the US Customs clearance process at the dock/ point of entry. US Customs staff will go through a ships manifest prior to its arrival at the port and advise the docks staff what containers/cargo is to be detained for inspection. Personal effect cargo will more often than not be detained in bond (which the shipping company pays for) on the dock for a day or up to a week once discharged until US Customs checks and clears it . They will frequently X-ray containers holding cars/trailers and open up the container to confirm VIN's etc and to ensure it is in fact as described on the documents and there is nothing else in the container that is not on the manifest.

There will be differences as to what documents are or are not required if the trailer is being imported as part of your personal effects i.e. your moving to the US from overseas or if you already live in the US and are simply buying a trailer and importing it into the US. I worked of a large vessel shipping companies for years and in the situation you describe I strongly suspect that the shipping company &/or their Agent you used to transport the trailer, actually did fill out all the appropriate customs forms and submitted them electronically to US Customs on your behalf using the bill of sale info & other info you provided them with. As part of the shipping fee you paid the bonding of the cargo & filling out of the required forms on your behalf would have been included. You would not normally have been given a copy of the documents they submitted to US Customs electronically.

There are also some differences as well in paperwork requirements when it comes to trailers made in Canada and or the US and crossing between both countries due to the North American Free Trade agreement vs a trailer built and coming in from another country.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #71

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
This form would be go for Toronto correct? Where would I find that.. Also your saying you didn't go through a broker.
This form of Quebec worked well in Massachusetts.

I used the same shape when I bought our Bigfoot Ontario.

You certainly have offices in Ontario CAA or AAA in Florida where you could find information.

AAA Florida :
AAA Membership

CAA Ontario :
</title> <script type="text/javascript" src="/dtagent61_bj_8336.js" data-dtconfig="rid=RID_-119487860|rpid=-793280417|domain=caasco.com|tp=500,50,3|bandwidth= 600|reportUrl=dynaTraceMonitor"></script><link rel="stylesheet" href="/includes/css/style.cs
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #72

Florida
Yeah I want a boler... Selling the uk one ending on eBay today. I'll figure it out I always do. Just want it to be legal... As I'm not the one driving the car to pick it up so it's tricky.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #73

Montana
It's tough to do from Florida, I agree.