Importing an FGRV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
I know this is a topic that has been dealt with at length and I've read and printed the great advice from Charlie C and Carol H on the process of bringing a trailer into Canada (our first egg, a 17-foot Burro widebody from Oregon). But when I conacted the Registrar of Imported Vehicles about a recall clearance letter (since Burro is out of business that's tough to get), they said no letter was required for trailers. That seems not to be the case in the experience if Carol and others and I don't want to turn up at the border without the appropriate paperwork. Am i just obsessing, or is there a problem here.
thanks
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Obsessing ISN'T a big deal.
Concerns are ALWAYS worrysome.
IMHO, there is always a right way and a not so right way to import/export anything. You need to be more sure you are dealing with the correct people at the border when you 'present' at the border. The issue you may have is getting it registered in Canada, as other folks have had some issues dealing with this process. Be 100% sure you have as much of a paper trail along with you (in regards to the trailers past) as well as a TRUE bill of sale. Its not always wise to try n save a couple bux in taxes only to have customs cause you more grief when you come through. Eg: if you feel you got a screeming good deal on the price, it might be wise to get the old owners to give you a signed paper stating as to why the sale price was sooo chaep, ie....bad flooring, or needs repairs!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
RIV doesn't apply if the trailer or vehicle is older than 15 years as far as I know.
of course, that's what I was told by the friendly people there, (at RIV)
It didn't apply for my 1989 Dnepr motorcycle!
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Obsessing ISN'T a big deal.
Concerns are ALWAYS worrysome.
IMHO, there is always a right way and a not so right way to import/export anything. You need to be more sure you are dealing with the correct people at the border when you 'present' at the border. The issue you may have is getting it registered in Canada, as other folks have had some issues dealing with this process. Be 100% sure you have as much of a paper trail along with you (in regards to the trailers past) as well as a TRUE bill of sale. Its not always wise to try n save a couple bux in taxes only to have customs cause you more grief when you come through. Eg: if you feel you got a screeming good deal on the price, it might be wise to get the old owners to give you a signed paper stating as to why the sale price was sooo chaep, ie....bad flooring, or needs repairs!
Thanks, and I'll grab every paper I can think of, including the ad from the forum website. I'll also see what kind of paper the previous owners have. But thanks for the advice.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
RIV doesn't apply if the trailer or vehicle is older than 15 years as far as I know.
of course, that's what I was told by the friendly people there, (at RIV)
It didn't apply for my 1989 Dnepr motorcycle!
And thanks to you too, Joe, but the trailer is a 2000 model so I'll have to jump through all the hoops. But it will be worth it
Old 06-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
NOTE:
...a trailer, is NOT a motor vehicle (as such), while a motorcycle IS and as such are governed by two seperate law statutes!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
here is what I got from the RIV site:

Pick-up trucks, trucks, car dollies,trailers (including air braked trailers, portable air compressors,log splitters & wood chippers, etc.),
LESS THAN FIFTEEN YEARS OLD. All are admissible,
See EXPLANATIONS
on cover page.

2. Admissible vehicles, except snowmobiles, snowmobile cutters and ATVs, must be certified by the original manufacturer as meeting all applicable US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. In addition, vehicles listed in Sections 4 & 10 and some vehicles listed in Section 5, must also be certified by the final stage manufacturer as meeting all applicable US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Two criteria can be used to determine this:
a) A compliance label affixed to the vehicle at the time of main assembly, or
A letter from the original manufacturer and the final stage manufacturer( if applicable ) containing the same information as would appear on the compliance label.

5. All admissible vehicles, including all types of trailers, snowmobiles manufactured after January 1, 2001 and restricted use motorcycles manufactured after December 1, 2004, must bear a 17 digit alphanumeric Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) as required by Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 115. Restricted use motorcycles manufactured before
December 2004 must have a VIN between 14 to 17 alphanumeric digits as required by CMVSS 115.

Section 4 talks about airbags, it doesn't apply.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
In Oregon, the trailer will have a title issued by the state motor vehicle dept. It will have to be signed by the seller and given to you if you pay in full. Make sure the seller has a title that is free and clear and that they can sign it over to you before you head back. I'd give them a heads up on this requirement. If theystill owe money on the trailer insist that they pay it off and get a title that is freeand clear before you go to get the trailer. That process might take a few weeks if they owe on it.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Hi Ian, that comment that you got from RIV about trailers not requiring a letter regarding recalls sounds like it is a valuable piece of information that anyone importing a trailer of any year should have in their back pocket!!

Did you get this information from them verbally or via an email? If you got it as part of an email or written note or highlighted in one of their documents, maybe you could post a copy of that document here so that everyone has access to it.

Thanks for adding to the wealth of information on this forum!

Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi Ian, that comment that you got from RIV about trailers not requiring a letter regarding recalls sounds like it is a valuable piece of information that anyone importing a trailer of any year should have in their back pocket!!

Good idea Charlie.
Here's what I got via e-mail, more or less confirming what I was told on the telephone.
Hope it helps someone else, too.

"Thank you for your recent inquiry about importing a Trailer 2000 Burro fibreglass travel trailer

All trailers appear to be admissible as they are cited on Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible form the United States as admissible in Section 2 - General, revised August 2006. This vehicle must bear a Statement of Compliance label affixed by the Original Equipment Manufacturer stating that "the vehicle as manufactured to comply with all US federal emission, bumper and safety standards on the date of manufacturer". Failing that, we will accept a letter from the manufacturer stating the same. Please refer to this list at: http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

Complete a Vehicle Import Form – Form 1 and register with CBSA. This form must be kept in the vehicle until it is licensed. Canada Customs will facilitate the payment of your nonrefundable RIV fee of $206.70 in all provinces except Quebec where it is $220.20.

After the payment has been received you are subject to obtaining a recall clearance letter(s). Please see the following link at http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html.

Once the recall clearance documentation have been received by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles an Inspection Form will be mailed which details what must be done to bring your vehicle into compliance. It is your responsibility to complete the necessary modifications within 45 days. These modifications include what is written on the admissibility list and:

(a) U.S. statement of compliance label SOC;
( valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN (please provide the VIN so that we can determine if this is valid. If the VIN is not valid, the vehicle will be inadmissible for importation);
(e) Lighting;
(f) Reflectors;

In order to provide more flexibility for importers of salvage vehicles, Transport Canada has allotted these vehicles to be modified to meet CMVSS and inspected within one year of importation. However, in order for a vehicle to be classified as a salvage vehicle, the Certificate of Title issued by a State Licensing Authority or a Licensed Insurance Provider must be branded as “salvage”, “rebuildable”, “repairable” or any other terminology indicating the vehicle is salvage.

If the title states “Junk, scrap, parts only, not to be rebuilt, non-rebuildable, non-repairable, etc”, then it must be entered as Parts only and will never be able to be rebuilt and put back on the road.

Please contact Canada Border Service Agency to determine if there are any duties and/or taxes applicable at 1-800-461-9999 (within Canada) or 204-983-3500 (outside of Canada). Inform U.S. Customs about the permanent export of a vehicle at least 72 hours before arriving at the border.

Under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act the responsibility for bringing an imported vehicle into compliance with Canadian safety regulations lies entirely with the importer; the RIV cannot be held responsible for any reason should the importer fail to complete the process successfully. Any information provided by the RIV is strictly based on the facts presented by the importer and reliance upon such information is at the importer’s discretion.

The information contained in this email is intended to assist individuals interested in importing a vehicle from the United States, and contains information on the admissibility of various makes, models, model years and class of vehicles provided by the original equipment manufacturer. This information is contained on the List of Vehicles Admissible Form the United States which is available to the public on our web site at www.riv.ca or directly at:

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

The admissibility of any particular make, model and model year of vehicle can only be ultimately determined by a) the presentation of the vehicle to Canada Customs at the time of importation, the decoding of the VIN contained on the vehicle import form – form 1 as presented to Canada Customs, and c) the successful completion of the federal inspection.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #11

Charlie et al,
This came in a e-mail today.

Good Morning,

i have news for you as of april 1st 2007, RIV no longer requires recall clearances on trailers.
so you do not need to contact this department of RIV for the importing of this trailer, for more
info either contact 1 888 848 8240.

thanks