Importing an older Bigfoot (94') to the US - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #1

Name: Erin
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
Importing an older Bigfoot (94') to the US

I have found a lovely 1994 Bigfoot trailer in BC. It seems like I'll have to move mountains to import this trailer to the US. From what I understand the trailer needs a US DOT sticker OR paperwork from the manufacturer stating the trailer meets US safety specs. The latter is not possible given the new owners of Bigfoot will not supply the necessary paperwork. Does anyone have an image of the DOT sticker/paperwork that I could show the current owner to see if he has that in his file or on the trailer? Any other sage advice would be much appreciated!
Tride Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think this sticker may be the equivalent to US DOT and acceptable.
You'll have to do more research to confirm this.
Attached Thumbnails
CSA sticker.jpg  
Old 02-14-2015, 01:08 AM   #3

Oregon
Thanks Glenn! That is very helpful. Has anyone had success using a CSA sticker in lieu of a DOT sticker when importing from Canada to US?
Old 02-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tride Dreaming View Post
I have found a lovely 1994 Bigfoot trailer in BC. It seems like I'll have to move mountains to import this trailer to the US. From what I understand the trailer needs a US DOT sticker OR paperwork from the manufacturer stating the trailer meets US safety specs. The latter is not possible given the new owners of Bigfoot will not supply the necessary paperwork. Does anyone have an image of the DOT sticker/paperwork that I could show the current owner to see if he has that in his file or on the trailer? Any other sage advice would be much appreciated!
If they don't want to supply the paperwork or work with you I would not purchase unless you already have. Don't understand why they not helping. Have you actually seen this unit in person. Could be a scam if not. Be very careful!!!!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
A Canadian made trailer sold in Canada will not have a US DOT sticker. And expecting a Canadian owner to supply one will never happen. Bigfoot is still being produced in Armstrong BC. If you are serious and it is a legitimate trailer for sale then a Email or phone call should be placed to Bigfoot to see what documents they may be able to supply.

Bigfoot Industries (2010) Inc.
4114 Crozier Road
Armstrong, BC
Canada V0E 1B6
Phone: (250) 546-2155
Fax: (250) 546-2166

I also found this link with all the hoops you will have to jump through to satisfy the US Government

Quote:
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
If they don't want to supply the paperwork or work with you I would not purchase unless you already have. Don't understand why they not helping. Have you actually seen this unit in person. Could be a scam if not. Be very careful!!!!
I think what the OP is saying is that Bigfoot Industries 2010 (the current company that manufactures Bigfoot trailers) won't provide the necessary paperwork. They probably want nothing to do with anything produced by the previous corporation as the current company didn't even exist at the time.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Oh ok.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes as you have found the Bigfoot company will not supply paperwork for trailers made by the previous company which makes sense. I think you will have to look for one over 25 years old to import it. Or a newer one built by the company.
This has come up before and I can't recall a way around it unless maybe you hire an importer to verify the standards on it which is more hassle and will cost you.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
To Summarize (I think)
1. The current BigFoot company, nice peeps that they are, doesn't provide certification for earlier trailers.
2. There was a US DOT sticker placed on many earlier Bigfoot trailers because they were being sold through a few dealers in the North West. Our Lil Bigfoot still had a dealer sticker from Portland, OR on it. Unfortunately, I didn't know at the time that pics of the DOT sticker was so hard to find. They may not have put them on any that were first sold in Canada, why would they?
3. The CSA sticker is not the equivalent, it may mean the same, but isn't excepted for importing.
4. The seller has to have a lot of incentive ($$$) to do almost anything to promote the sale to a U.S. buyer as these sell well in BC as.
5. DO NOT even consider having the seller bring it into the U.S. and sell it to you here. That creates an even bigger legal issue/mess than the DOT sticker will ever become.

Also take a look here under importing from Canada: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale and there was a very comprehensive post on this site less than a month ago about this issue.

And last....Canada is currently offering a 20% discount on CDN prices when bought with USD..... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #10

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
It is similar for me who look a caravan Bigfoot to be sold which comes from the United States.

- Via internet I have to find a " certificate of import " and a " certificate of customs duty ".

- Verify if a temporary registration is necessary to move me before the border. ($$??)

- If more of 15-year-old, it is not necessary to obtain from certificate of eligibility. I would have thought of the opposit

- As it is a Canadian manufacturing of origin, I would not have to pay of tax for the air conditioner, which would be of $100 . (To verify)

- For passage in customs, it is possible to have a $195 contribution.
As the caravan was made in Canada, it is possible that I not ais not to pay this amount? (To verify)

That seems to complicate, I wonder if I am going to continue the process and in more I have to move to verify well that the caravan is good in the controversial state...
The caravan which I desire is in California and I in Quebec. It could be a beautiful journey but...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #11

Gilles....
WOW... I see that the rules for importing into Canada are a lot different than importing into the U.S.
What caravan are you wanting to import from California to Quebec.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #12

Oregon
Thank you for all the feedback! This has been incredibly helpful. Alas, I think this beauty of a trailer will have to stay in its homeland. I will wait patiently for a newer one to surface.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #13

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Gilles....
WOW... I see that the rules for importing into Canada are a lot different than importing into the U.S.
What caravan are you wanting to import from California to Quebec.
It is Bigfoot 17 feet 1989 in California.

It is on the site FiberglassRV.
At the moment there is also an exchange rate which is important.
I too believe that I am going to wait for one in Canada.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #14

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Thank you for all the feedback! This has been incredibly helpful. Alas, I think this beauty of a trailer will have to stay in its homeland. I will wait patiently for a newer one to surface.
If you find, as me, that the transfer of country is not obvious, you can identify me Bigfoot that you found in Canada?
I could maybe complete mine.
Have a good day.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #15

Yes, the one is Folsom is very nice, but a long way from you and even 500 miles from me.
As it is in the US and you are in Canada, I think that it's fair to say that I have seen a number of 17' Bigfoots in Canada for prices below that and, when you have to add 20% for currency exchange, it's way above your local prices. I missed one much like it (exceptional condition) in the Penticton, BC area (I was in BC at the time) last year that didn't sell for $7500 CDN and was moved to winter storage, the week before I called. The seller will be relisting in the spring in the link below

Are you following this site? Bigfoot Travel Trailers - Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #16

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Yes, the one is Folsom is very nice, but a long way from you and even 500 miles from me.
As it is in the US and you are in Canada, I think that it's fair to say that I have seen a number of 17' Bigfoots in Canada for prices below that and, when you have to add 20% for currency exchange, it's way above your local prices. I missed one much like it (exceptional condition) in the Penticton, BC area (I was in BC at the time) last year that didn't sell for $7500 CDN and was moved to winter storage, the week before I called. The seller will be relisting in the spring in the link below

Are you following this site? Bigfoot Travel Trailers - Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
The exchange rate at present with the United States is 30 % with the expenses of administration.

Yes I watch regularly this year. Last year I missed ready-made one from my home. It is necessary to have the fast eye...
Old 02-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
I think what the OP is saying is that Bigfoot Industries 2010 (the current company that manufactures Bigfoot trailers) won't provide the necessary paperwork. They probably want nothing to do with anything produced by the previous corporation as the current company didn't even exist at the time.

Your are 100% correct - not to mention in the few years the company was temp down and before it was sold to the employees there was a fire in the storage faculty were the paper work was being stored so they do not have the actual info on the builds of the older trailers.

As far as Canadian made trailers not having a DOT sticker goes - not true. Manufactures who are building trailers in Canada and selling them frequently into the US will often have a DOT sticker - including Bigfoots, even some of the older ones.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
It is similar for me who look a caravan Bigfoot to be sold which comes from the United States.

- Via internet I have to find a " certificate of import " and a " certificate of customs duty ".

- Verify if a temporary registration is necessary to move me before the border. ($$??)

- If more of 15-year-old, it is not necessary to obtain from certificate of eligibility. I would have thought of the opposit

- As it is a Canadian manufacturing of origin, I would not have to pay of tax for the air conditioner, which would be of $100 . (To verify)

- For passage in customs, it is possible to have a $195 contribution.
As the caravan was made in Canada, it is possible that I not ais not to pay this amount? (To verify)

That seems to complicate, I wonder if I am going to continue the process and in more I have to move to verify well that the caravan is good in the controversial state...
The caravan which I desire is in California and I in Quebec. It could be a beautiful journey but...

I have imported a trailer from the US to Canada. You are correct if the tailer is 15 years of age or older you do not need to worry about having DOT stickers or a compliance letter from the manufacturer. But you will need to be able to prove the age of the trailer.

I am assuming the $195 contribution you refer is in regards to the RIV program that the trailer would need to be registered in and inspected under if it is less than 15 years of age? In which case no you do not need to pay that for a trailer of 15 years of age or older - nor will you need to get the trailer inspected prior to registering in Canada.

You will though have to pay the GST when you import it and pay PST when you register it. Due to the free trade agreement you will pay no duty on a trailer made in Canada or the US.

Check with your insurance company about temp permit to transport it back - each province and insurance company is different in regards to that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #19

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I have not done this myself but I remember reading a post on another website where a U.S. citizen hired a broker to help with the import of a RV. If my memory is correct that poster said that the total cost was under $200.00

I'm all for D.I.Y. and few are cheaper than me but in this instance it might be money well spent. I would at least check it out.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #20

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I have not done this myself but I remember reading a post on another website where a U.S. citizen hired a broker to help with the import of a RV. If my memory is correct that poster said that the total cost was under $200.00

I'm all for D.I.Y. and few are cheaper than me but in this instance it might be money well spent. I would at least check it out.

You can indicate to me with what group of broker I have to communicate so that I how verify to work?
Thank you.

Tags
bigfoot