Importing RV from NY, We live in Michigan Help - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Let us know what you get! Maybe a picture or two also.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:40 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Vivienne!

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to RV needs, or in your case, one build type that works for everyone. Enjoy next winter in our "Grand" state. If you happen to see a 13' Scamp and brown Pilot, be sure to wave or drop in and say hi!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:30 AM   #43
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Have you met RVSue? If not, you should.

rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #44

Name: Ron
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Importing a Bigfoot from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofthelakes View Post
We are just starting the process of buying an RV from Toronto Canada. The owners offered to bring it to Buffalo NY b/c we are going to be in that area and they preferred to bring it there, not Detroit AND b/c we do not have passports or enhanced drivers licenses.

Running into problem with Michigan DMV, they can't help me.

What is the process for this conundrum!

I know all about the importing process, did the research on that, but registering it temporarily in NY, ? is that what we do.

Got 2 weeks to sort this all out.

All you experienced people out there! what do I need to do

Let me begin by saying that I've brought a number of Bigfoot Trailers from Canada into the U.S. (WA State). But, it doesn't matter what state you're bringing the trailer into, the process is the same.

In order to register the trailer in the U.S., it will have to have cleared U.S. border customs. They, in turn, will want a Bill of Sale, Canadian title showing transfer of ownership, and proof that the trailer in question meets U.S. standards. Proof of meeting U.S. standards can be accomplished by showing them the silver (3" x 6") sticker that is on the outside, forward port side of the trailer. Ensuring the sticker is there and that it is legible is of utmost importance!

Since you, as the buyer, are going to have to clear it thru customs, I would suggest you meet the sellers at the custom's office at the border.

As far as driving it across NY/MI, you will have documentation (from customs) that you just purchased the trailer; you'll be fine if stopped IMHO.
rldr4574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #45

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldr4574 View Post
Let me begin by saying that I've brought a number of Bigfoot Trailers from Canada into the U.S. (WA State). But, it doesn't matter what state you're bringing the trailer into, the process is the same.

In order to register the trailer in the U.S., it will have to have cleared U.S. border customs. They, in turn, will want a Bill of Sale, Canadian title showing transfer of ownership, and proof that the trailer in question meets U.S. standards. Proof of meeting U.S. standards can be accomplished by showing them the silver (3" x 6") sticker that is on the outside, forward port side of the trailer. Ensuring the sticker is there and that it is legible is of utmost importance!

Since you, as the buyer, are going to have to clear it thru customs, I would suggest you meet the sellers at the custom's office at the border.

As far as driving it across NY/MI, you will have documentation (from customs) that you just purchased the trailer; you'll be fine if stopped IMHO.
We decided not to pursue the purchase of the Canadian RV. The manufacturer is no longer in business and it did not have the sticker needed. To many things going against the sale for us.

We just bought a Forest River Flagstaff 19' It is only 3 years old, we pick it up in Indiana next Sunday. Yippee
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote