Importing RV from NY, We live in Michigan Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #1

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
Importing RV from NY, We live in Michigan Help

We are just starting the process of buying an RV from Toronto Canada. The owners offered to bring it to Buffalo NY b/c we are going to be in that area and they preferred to bring it there, not Detroit AND b/c we do not have passports or enhanced drivers licenses.

Running into problem with Michigan DMV, they can't help me.

What is the process for this conundrum!

I know all about the importing process, did the research on that, but registering it temporarily in NY, ? is that what we do.

Got 2 weeks to sort this all out.

All you experienced people out there! what do I need to do
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Michigan DMV should be able to issue a temporary plate for travel for a couple of weeks, then they do a physical inspection of the VIN number on the trailer before a title will be issued. What brand and size trailer did you decide on?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm sure I've seen discussions here about importing a trailer into the US from Canada. That would be more concern than moving it from NY to another state. According to the NY DMV website, dmv.ny.gov you can get a interstate in transit permit to move a trailer to another state. Maybe that applies only to a trailer that has been previously registered in NY, maybe not. Look on that website for more info. And check what paperwork you'll need to satisfy your state.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
You have me wondering, what exactly did the DMV tell you that has you stumped? What is the dilemma?

Is it a problem registering/titling a trailer in MI that was purchased in CA?
Or is it a problem with legally transporting the trailer from NY to MI?
Or something else?

Also, could you share with us the year and brand of the trailer you're buying? The trailer's age sometimes makes a difference on imports.

If it helps, I did find this statement on the Sec. of State's website:
You do not need a license plate to drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home within Michigan within three days of purchase. Carry the assigned title and proof of insurance with you. Never use a plate from another vehicle as a substitute.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I believe, if you purchase a Canadian registered trailer in the US, you will have to take it back to Canada ( or the current owner will have to do that ) and then you will have to legally import it to the US.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Good point, Glenn. There's customs and import paperwork. For some reason I was envisioning the seller walking through that process (I know Escape Trailer Industries does it all the time with their new trailers sold to USA buyers), but who's to say whether the seller will do things the right way? And if he does not, the buyer could be stuck with a problem.

On the other hand, Ladyofthelakes did say she knew all about the importing process, so maybe she has that issue covered.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #7

Michigan
Temporary permits, license etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Michigan DMV should be able to issue a temporary plate for travel for a couple of weeks, then they do a physical inspection of the VIN number on the trailer before a title will be issued. What brand and size trailer did you decide on?
Dave & Paula
Let's see if I can answer all your questions, comments, advice on one post.

It was posted on here yesterday, SunTrek Vista 18' travel trailer 1998. The seller came down on the price and offered to bring it across the border.
I have already looked up Import Brokers in the Buffalo NY area, have not called them yet. That's on my long list of phone calls for the morning.

Nice lady at Michigan DMV said she could not help at all, go through NY. I was not impressed with her she did not seem to know her stuff. I will call again tomorrow, better yet, go there on Wed while in Sault Ste Marie, Mi.

mary & bob Quote; I'm sure I've seen discussions here about importing a trailer into the US from Canada. That would be more concern than moving it from NY to another state. According to the NY DMV website, dmv.ny.gov you can get a interstate in transit permit to move a trailer to another state. Maybe that applies only to a trailer that has been previously registered in NY, maybe not. Look on that website for more info. And check what paperwork you'll need to satisfy your state.

V: will be sure to ask your questions as sometimes you have to "know" what to ask, or how to ask to get to the right answer, call it bureaucracy.
You gave me a couple more homework assignments Mary.

Mike Magee You have me wondering, what exactly did the DMV tell you that has you stumped? What is the dilemma?

Is it a problem registering/titling a trailer in MI that was purchased in CA?
Or is it a problem with legally transporting the trailer from NY to MI?
Or something else?

Also, could you share with us the year and brand of the trailer you're buying? The trailer's age sometimes makes a difference on imports.

If it helps, I did find this statement on the Sec. of State's website:
You do not need a license plate to drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home within Michigan within three days of purchase. Carry the assigned title and proof of insurance with you. Never use a plate from another vehicle as a substitute.

V: The problem is more getting it into NY and driving to Mi. We heard tonight that there was a 2 week limit to get it back to Mi. Have to check that out too.

I already have my insurance company getting papers ready, waiting for the vin #. That should be in an email tomorrow.
I did read or hear it is somewhat easier to import a trailer than a motorized RV.

Glenn Baglo I believe, if you purchase a Canadian registered trailer in the US, you will have to take it back to Canada ( or the current owner will have to do that ) and then you will have to legally import it to the US.

V:There is some paperwork they have to do to get it over here, again that is another question. These folks travel to the US a lot with RV's and vacation on the east coast. But I am still going with what the Import people tell me.

Mike Magee Good point, Glenn. There's customs and import paperwork. For some reason I was envisioning the seller walking through that process (I know Escape Trailer Industries does it all the time with their new trailers sold to USA buyers), but who's to say whether the seller will do things the right way? And if he does not, the buyer could be stuck with a problem.

On the other hand, Ladyofthelakes did say she knew all about the importing process, so maybe she has that issue covered.

V: We have 2 weeks to get all this shuffling paperwork done. The sellers will do the right thing. After all "I am getting my Ducks in a row"

On the other hand? I was not clear. I know there is a lot of paperwork, process, cross all the T's and dot all the I's, but no I do not know "how" that is done, Yet!

God willin and the creek don't rise, things will happen.

Now, to plan on how to redecorate this baby into a "50's Retro"

Yikes, it's 1 in the A.M.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #8

I would get my information about importing a trailer into the US from a US government site or office. I would not count on what the seller says or what anybody here thinks they read somewhere.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I would get my information about importing a trailer into the US from a US government site or office. I would not count on what the seller says or what anybody here thinks they read somewhere.
Thank you Glenn, love that you all are looking out for us.

No I don't take things out of the real source of information. I have to far to travel to pick this up for me not to be prepared by the legal system.

Hubby might call me a bad name if I didn't have everything down pat.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:49 AM   #10

Registry
What manufacturer made this trailer? I haven’t been able to see anything about it. I was wondering what it weighed, and if it were truely a molded fiberglass trailer or another “stick” built covered with fiberglass panels and end caps.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-03-2018, 12:58 AM   #11

Bunch of pix here:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=suntr...KTLlq2Pvu1dUM:
Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 AM   #12

Registry
So Traveleze Industries made it. That’s a great looking trailer Vivienne, and at a great price. I think you’ve struck gold, and you do certainly have all your ducks in a row. Thanks Glenn.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-03-2018, 01:30 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofthelakes View Post
We are just starting the process of buying an RV from Toronto Canada. The owners offered to bring it to Buffalo NY b/c we are going to be in that area and they preferred to bring it there, not Detroit AND b/c we do not have passports or enhanced drivers licenses
V, really have to ask, what's the problem of getting passports, would be a nice road trip and what do you mean by enhanced D/Ls? Canada has some "different" rules with age on importing to the US. I'm a bit surprised that folks that have gone through the process haven't chimed in yet. I see no reason to have to register in in NY at all as it would be the same as buying a used car and bringing it back to your home state.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:35 AM   #14

Registry
Dave, we just sent our paper work in today to renew or Passports before they expire. It will take 4 to 6 weeks for us to get them.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-03-2018, 01:48 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Well Dave, that time frame would throw a monkey wrench in the works. Think mine expired around 40 years ago .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #16

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
V, really have to ask, what's the problem of getting passports, would be a nice road trip and what do you mean by enhanced D/Ls? Canada has some "different" rules with age on importing to the US. I'm a bit surprised that folks that have gone through the process haven't chimed in yet. I see no reason to have to register in in NY at all as it would be the same as buying a used car and bringing it back to your home state.
The Michigan Enhanced Drivers Liscense allows you to cross the border to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean nations by land or sea but not by air. I believe that Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington also have them. For MI it costs $45 the first time, $38 to renew, vs $25 the first time and $18 to renew for a regular drivers liscense.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:51 AM   #17

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Vivienne, When you do go to Michigans Secretary of State(SOS) to register your trailer, make sure they give you a title. Three times (different trailers) the nice ladies at the SOS sent DH home without a title, he's just too nice to argue with them. They may ask you to get it weighed. Sometime we have done that and other times we've used the weight on the Ontario registration (converted to pounds).
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:53 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
from experience...

In importing 3 FGRVs from Canada to MI over the past 5 years found that:

1. Proof of insurance not required for a trailer. State of Michigan website also mentions this.
2. The Customs and Border Patrol form you need to get at the border is CBP 1750.
3. In both Ontario and Manitoba, the registration and title are the SAME document. Have the seller sign that document over to you. Also get a bill of sale from the seller. Present both these documents along with the CBP 1750 to the State of Michigan. In return you will receive a title, registration and permanent plate.
4. No plate was present when transporting the trailer through Ontario, Manitoba, Wisconsin and Michigan, although I believe the Ontario website indicates that a temporary plate can be obtained.

For one of our campers brought from Ontario, the seller mistakenly left his plate on the camper. (We did not know the regulation either.) Later that day, OPP officer questioned us about the camper and pointed out that the plate should not be on the camper. OPP officer also suggested removing the plate before crossing the border which we did!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Reason for this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in Michigan View Post
Vivienne, When you do go to Michigans Secretary of State(SOS) to register your trailer, make sure they give you a title. Three times (different trailers) the nice ladies at the SOS sent DH home without a title, he's just too nice to argue with them. They may ask you to get it weighed. Sometime we have done that and other times we've used the weight on the Ontario registration (converted to pounds).
Reason for the above confusion (helpful to know in advance), is that in Michigan for UTILITY trailers under 2500 lbs., no title is needed and also the registration fees are different. For travel trailers of ANY weight, titles are issued. The problem is that an SOS employee may register the trailer as a utility trailer even if you tell them its a travel trailer.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree- that trailer is sweet!

Since it is less than 25 years old, it requires a US DOT certification sticker affixed to the coach or a document from the manufacturer certifying same. Does this trailer have that? Without it, you or your broker has to arrange an inspection and any modifications to bring it into compliance with US standards. With a trailer, it's mostly about dimensions and running lights (and you're right, a motorized RV is more complicated- think emissions). That has to be done in order to get the US Customs form at the border, along with the bill of sale and signed registration document from the seller. I believe- not sure- the trailer and buyer have to be physically present at the border when that form is issued, but it may be different when a broker is involved. I'd actually love to hear a report on how the broker process works, costs, etc. when this is done.

Getting the trailer from state to state is a minor issue. If you have all the paperwork showing it is a recent purchase, including the CBP import form, just tow it home. Your vehicle's liability policy covers the trailer when towing (but only for liability, of course). Some states- not all- will issue a temporary transport tag, and I agree a face-to-face conversation with someone at the MI motor vehicle office might give better answers. I would not mention the trailer is coming from CAN- that's a separate issue that might confuse a low-level clerk. "I'm buying a travel trailer out-of-state- can I get a temporary transport tag to bring it home?" If not, you can try in NY, and if that fails, then just pull it without a tag. If you get stopped, as long as you have all the usual documents for your tow vehicle and all the paperwork for the trailer including the import form, I can't imagine it being an issue.

To reiterate, the bigger issue is the import form, and for that you need to deal directly with US Customs and/or a registered import broker. States have nothing to do with it, but without that form you can't register it in any state.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote