"Incubating" Eggs Over Winter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
"Incubating" Eggs Over Winter

It's been awfully quiet here in EggCamper land. Must be everyone is "incubating" their eggs over winter with visions of Spring rallies dancing in their heads. I'd love to see pictures (with descriptions if helpful) of novel and inexpensive ideas any of you have come up with to store and protect your eggs over the winter (other than in a garage).
Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Park under a 2nd story deck, plug in "free to me" cube heater to keep inside above freezing (remember to open lower cabinet doors so plumbing gets heat), and solar panel keeps battery maintained. Oh, and open drain and safety valve on water heater, and open faucet and shower valves to drain water.

Nothing flashy here, and it took me all of about 20 minutes to do. Now there are some wish list additions I'm working on such as adding insulation panels under the floor and changing AC to a slide out like some pop up campers use.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Cool Peaked roof for Compact Jr.

The Compact Junior has a pretty flat roof so I used an 8'-long 2x4 to make a peaked roof that has a tarp draped over it.

two pieces of 1x12, about two-foot long are the bases on either end. some 2x4 material is used to make an upright on each base and the 8'-long piece is affixed to the uprights.

a piece of closed cell foam lies under each base to help protect the fiberglass.

After each heavy snow I just use a push broom to pull the snow off.

A 12-16 foot tarp is perfect to keep all three windows covered and leave the door uncovered for easy winter access.

The local county fairground offers very inexpensive winter storage, about $10 a foot, making it very affordable for the tiny Compact.

But the fairground has a very small window of opportunity for put in and take out.

I bought the trailer last fall and wanted to keep tinkering with it past the put in date.

But next year I'll probably take advantage of the inexpensive indoor storage and save some winter wear and tear on the Junior.
Attached Thumbnails
snow trailer.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
To those that sat huddled in the ice and snow watching the Tournament of Roses, eat yer heart out.

Here in SoCal winterization consists of covering the tires to protect them from all that sun between winter trips to the beach.

But I do have a thermostatic plug that turns on a heater if the temp plunges to below 35 at night, as it is known to do 2-3 times a year.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Angry

At least ill still have my trailer when the big one hits and California falls in to the ocean
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The truth be known, when the "Big One" hits, California will stay right where it is and everything else will sink. That's the entire reason whay so many FGRV's are alrady out here, we save up all the good things in life, FGRV's, Wine and those ever beautiful, California Girls. For the record, I married three of em' (But not at the same time)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I installed a winterizing kit on mine. So, I bypass the water heater, pump RV antifreeze through all the lines, faucets, shower and toilet. Drain fresh water, gray and black tanks. Wash and clean Scamp inside and out; then park unit in my metal building that I had installed for a previous larger camper. We get freezing temps. through out the winter here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of N.C.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Ours is spoiled. It sits in an indoor storage unit when not in use and just fits thru the 8'x8' overhead door
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper