Infant sleeping in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Infant sleeping in Scamp

We have a 13' Scamp and an infant who will be 4-7 months old this summer when we are camping. Who has taken an infant in the Scamp before, and where did you have them sleep?
sarahkolmankeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I realize this is not an answer to your question as we've never 13'-Scamped with an infant. But IF you do in the winter and use gas heat, PLEASEEE make use you use a CO detector in the Scamp!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkolmankeen View Post
We have a 13' Scamp and an infant who will be 4-7 months old this summer when we are camping. Who has taken an infant in the Scamp before, and where did you have them sleep?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Sarah.

A bassinet when they are wee babes is fine, and a travel play pen is better as they age works good. We used the playpen in a smallish tent, barely leaving room for ourselves, then with the second kid, we had moved on to a tent trailer, with way more bed space.

Another thought, if you have a front bench, would be to devise a good barrier for it. This is something I plan to do for my daughter once she has kids (getting married in a few weeks), in her Trillium 1300. I have ideas floating in my head about a folding one, with a base that attached under the cushion.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't know how you feel about co-sleeping, but knowing my wife, she'd want the infant beside her in the dinette bed and I'd get the front sofa. No special equipment needed.

Come to think of it, our youngest is 9 now and still sleeps next to Mom on the dinette and I still have the bunk!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #5

Name: Dawn
New York
Registry
We have a 16' Scamp with the bunks in the front. When our baby was 5mo old and couldn't pull himself up much yet, we had him sleep on the bottom bunk and put a board across the front to prevent rolling over. Now that he is a year old, we purchased a bed guard that fits across the front but gives us the ability to open & close it easily. This is the one we purchased (& one of the few I could find that wasn't too long for the opening), but haven't had the chance to try out yet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BFE...rFL&ref=plSrch
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

New York
Registry
The bottom crossbars of the bunk rail will be secured to the bunk fiberglass & the cushion placed on top
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Welcome to FGRV, Sarah.

A bassinet when they are wee babes is fine, and a travel play pen is better as they age works good. We used the playpen in a smallish tent, barely leaving room for ourselves, then with the second kid, we had moved on to a tent trailer, with way more bed space.

Another thought, if you have a front bench, would be to devise a good barrier for it. This is something I plan to do for my daughter once she has kids (getting married in a few weeks), in her Trillium 1300. I have ideas floating in my head about a folding one, with a base that attached under the cushion.
Oh now we can't call them play pens anymore. We have to call them play yards now. Lol politically correct you know.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #8

New York
Registry
Here is a pic of the board going across the front. When the cushion is on the bunk, the board sits up higher, but still leaves enough room to reach in to get to the baby
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
We have a number of folks who camp with their baby's - think the youngest we had at one of our meets was only a couple of weeks old. Portable bassinet works well for the first couple of months then the bed rail on the lower bunk as others have posted is what I have most commonly seen. Target has a lot of Crib bed rails that will work.

A Graco Pack & Play is also a great item to have as they get older as well so they can spend time safely outdoors. Actually just purchased one for my nieces baby for camping trips.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
We did both the Pack-n-Play set up and some version of walling off the front bunk (homemade version and crib bed rails). Having baby on the front bunk was easier and then the pack-n-play was set up outside for afternoon naps and such. My kids are now a little older, still love camping and love the idea that they've been doing it since they were newborns!
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ginny's sleeping rules.

Children sleep in their own beds, in the Scamp it would be one of the front bunks depending on their age.

Husbands always sleep with the wife.

No pets allowed in any bed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #12

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Someone did a really neat mod a while back by actually removing the front bench to make the lower space into something more secure for a toddler: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-24663.html

I wouldn't hesitate to do something similar if I still had a wee one
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
For something less involved:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-63390.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #14

Name: Linda
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 ft, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Minnesota
I have photos of, without a better description, "kid kennels" for the lower bunk that were posted. Do not know how to put photos on here
dvrcdlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp