INFORMATION NEEDED - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2023, 08:40 AM   #1

Name: ALBERT
Trailer: SCAMP
OK
INFORMATION NEEDED

Hello everyine, I am a new Scamp owner and in need of some basic information. I formerly owned a Toyota Dolphin but the Scamp is completely different to me. My 13' has very few options other than a rock shield on the front windiow, no AC, no heat, no bathroom/shower, no gray or black tank, no water hookup, no power fan, so very standard from the factory. Maiden voyage next week and i want to be prepared.

!. On the rear, there is an inlet to provide fresh water to the inside, I think I read somewhere it holds 12 or 14 gallons? How do you empty the water tank when leaving or storing for the winter? I assume you keep pumping the handle above the sink until you get no water? I certainly don't want to pull the extra weight of gallons of water.

2. I have a refrigerator inside which apparently only runs off electricity as there is no place outside to gain access to it to change to a propane operation. I assume the refrigerator begins cooling once you hookup to a shoreline? Will it run off the battery only? I have found no on/off switch on it.

3. Lastly, does the battery charge when connected to a shoreline or while you are pulling?

I would very much appreciate your insight and experience with these questionas and I hope I don't come across as a dummy! THANKS
scripalbertjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Albert, welcome to FiberglassRV. It would really help if you could give the year of your trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:27 AM   #3

OK
Yes, it is a 2016 model
Old 05-13-2023, 07:00 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Unless it has been modified, there should be a drain valve under the trailer near the fresh water tank to drain off any leftover water when you are finished camping. Generally it looks like a small spigot with a handle on top. It would be off-white plastic/pvc.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:48 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp youtube videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scripalbertjr View Post
!. On the rear, there is an inlet to provide fresh water to the inside, I think I read somewhere it holds 12 or 14 gallons? How do you empty the water tank when leaving or storing for the winter? I assume you keep pumping the handle above the sink until you get no water? I certainly don't want to pull the extra weight of gallons of water.

< Drain is on the end of the tank inside under the seat

2. I have a refrigerator inside which apparently only runs off electricity as there is no place outside to gain access to it to change to a propane operation.
< It depends on what the last owner changed, Model and brand?

3. Lastly, does the battery charge when connected to a shoreline or while you are pulling?

<Both if you have the 8 pin electrical, hooked up only if you have the flat four pin.
Many of the older Scamp instructional videos are on you tube and the Scamp web page.
https://www.youtube.com/@ScampTraile...=dd&shelf_id=0
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:56 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
And the sink drain

Quote:
no gray or black tank, no water hookup, THANKS
The sink drain may just go to a hose fitting on the out side, if not you will need to catch the waste water under the sink. Most campgrounds require you to catch the drain water. Pictured is what I set up for my sisters Scamp.
Attached Thumbnails
BLU WATER 2.jpg  
Old 05-13-2023, 08:59 PM   #7

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Albert, I’m a relative newbie myself, but I’ll share what I know from a couple of years with my 2020 Scamp 13.

1. The water tank is under the passenger side bench in the back of the Scamp. There’s a petcock type spout on the tank that you access from the hatch in the top of that bench. Open that spout to empty the water tank. (It would take forever to empty the tank with the little hand pump on the sink. )
2. The fridge does get electricity from shore power. I have a three-way fridge that can run on propane, shore power or battery, but Eveland warns users not to count on a battery to run the fridge unless it’s an emergency, because it will run down the battery really quickly.
3. Yes, if everything is working as it should, the battery will charge when you’re hooked up to shore power.
I never had good results charging while towing. Some folks say you need to run a heavy gauge wire from the tow battery to the Scamp to get a good charge while towing. I only have the 7 pin connector.
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:04 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Yes 7 pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I only have the 7 pin connector. )
Yes 7 pin, sorry that I said 8 before. That's from a different pastime.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:53 AM   #9

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Quote:
I have a refrigerator inside which apparently only runs off electricity as there is no place outside to gain access to it to change to a propane operation. I assume the refrigerator begins cooling once you hookup to a shoreline? Will it run off the battery only? I have found no on/off switch on it.
This is puzzling. I think in 2016 an electric only fridge from Scamp would be unusual. Maybe the previous owner put it in. But how could it have no on/off switch?
Your Scamp doesn’t have an access panel for the fridge on middle of the driver’s side? That’s where the controls for the three way are located.
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:44 AM   #10

OK
GREAT TO KNOW

Thanks for all the infornation provided regarding my questions. I found the water storage tank under a rear cushion compartment and the tank has a spigot with hose to drain the tank. Yes,it would be an ordeal to drain it with the faucet pump! Regarding the fridge, it appears to me that it is a replacement. I have searched the area and I can find no on or off switch unless it is in the fuse box which I will check today. On a personal note, we had to cancel our trip to NW Arkansas due to expected rains and muddy conditions, Again, thanks to all you experienced Scampers for sharing.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:52 AM   #11

OK
No access panel on the side. I believe it may be a replacement with a catch pan as I found a drain hose underneath the camper in the area of where the bottom of the fridge is located. It has to be the means of draining condensation. Im not really concerned so long as it works on shoreline power, if not I will just have to replace it! Thanks
Old 05-15-2023, 04:59 AM   #12

OK
Thanks Sunnyone, most informative. Regarding the fridge, I think it is a replacement. I found an exhaust hose underneath the camper where the bottom of the fridge would be located. I believe this is connected to a drain pan to catch condensation and exhaust it to the outside. I just hope it works on shore power but, if not, I think I can replacement myself. Thanks
Old 05-15-2023, 12:51 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lack of exterior fridge vents in 2016 means the trailer came with an icebox. A previous owner probably replaced it with a 110V dorm fridge. Dorm fridges don’t usually have on/off switches- plug in and they’re on. You may have to look around under the sink to see how they ran the power cord and make sure it’s plugged in somewhere. Then connect the trailer to shore power and it should be on. Check the temperature control setting inside the fridge. Check breakers.

The other possibility is a 12V compressor fridge. I’ve not gotten up close and personal with the controls on one of those yet. You should be able to spot the difference in the type of wire running to the fridge.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:39 AM   #14

OK
FRIDGE

Thanks Jon for the info. I checked behind the fridge and there is electrical wiring going intio the rear.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:02 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Do you see a brand name on the fridge?

Weather forecast for next week looks better. Assuming the forecast doesn't change.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:55 AM   #16

OK
FRIDGE

There is no brand name on the fridge inside or out. I checked under the sink and I saw electrical wiring going to the rear which I hope means it's not an icebox as I read they were available in older Scamps. I am leaving in one week to attend my Granddaughter's high school graduation in Nashville. So, no camping until I return and, hopefully, the weather gets better.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:19 AM   #17

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hey Albert, welcome to FiberglassRV. It would really help if you could give the year of your trailer.

Well and pictures always are of great assistance ;-)
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:34 AM   #18

Name: Mary
New Mexico
Fridge

I read previously that you believe the fridge is a replacement but unsure of the manufacturer -
I have a newer Scamp. My fridge is a Dometic CRX 65 and is all electric. I understand the Dometic is no longer making 3-way fridges in this size anymore; which I think is pretty unfortunate.
If this is the same model then, yes, when you plug into shorepower you wil be charging your battery and running the fridge. With the fridge left on and unplugged the it will automatically run off of your battery. No propane option.
The unfortunate part is that the fridge can really suck up the battery and tank it if left on. I have read in some forums that it will suck the battery dry while traveling even with a 7 pin connection so many ppl shut the fridge off when under way.
BizCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 01:32 PM   #19

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16
Idaho
The Dometic fridge controls to change from shore power to propane are on the inside bottom of the unit in my 1999 Scamp.
denswaer is offline   Reply With Quote