inside walls in fiberglass trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
inside walls in fiberglass trailers

So what exactly is used to line the walls on the Casita Trailers...
Is it just carpet? Is it foam backed?

How about other makes? ...Escape? Oliver? Others?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Floyd
It is a Kanga foam backed carpet not the fancy Rat Fur like your Scamp!
Also no further insulation like the Reflectix in your fancy Rat Fur lined reflectix insulated Oak Paneled Luxo-Scamp!!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Floyd
It is a Kanga foam backed carpet not the fancy Rat Fur like your Scamp!
Also no further insulation like the Reflectix in your fancy Rat Fur lined reflectix insulated Oak Paneled Luxo-Scamp!!

Ed
Thanks for the kind hyperbole Ed! (and the info).
Unfortunately I have an '81 Scamp which was stripped and painted inside, so I am looking at alternatives.
I am considering OZITE in two tones, but I thought it couldn't hurt to check out other choices.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
How about other makes?
In my Fiber Stream, they just painted the (naked!) fiberglass.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
In my Fiber Stream, they just painted the (naked!) fiberglass.
That's what they did to this Scamp! Thanks, that's certainly my easiest and most economical choice
Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I know you can buy the Rat Fur too either from Scamp or other sources.
I have been to Auto Jobbers here that have a variety of headliner type materials like the Fur that would work I think.

I don't think I would stick carpet in there as I am sure I told you when standing in your trailer?
The Rat Fur is much nicer to me.
The carpet is heavy and seems to absorb stink better than the Fur,not a good thing. It also seems tough to clean and is not waterproof.

I really was surprised at how much I liked your trailer too but I am not sure I could go downsize now that I have had the giant 4 foot difference?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #7

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
Casita Lining

Quote:

Floyd,

I just re-did a 1990 Casita, 16'. The carpet was foamed back and it was very stinky and heavy. Reflextic was installed, just about everywhere. A flexible board, covered with upholstery fabric was installed over the interior walls. A separate headliner, foam backed was installed on the ceiling.
The interior walls of small airplanes are made of the same vertical wall material. Good Luck Mona
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 88 Cadet
I have a Cadet, and I redid mine with auto-headliner. Initially installed aluminum foil backed water tank insulation against the fiberglass (after removing the crappy foam backed stuff). Then applied the headlinder using 3m spray on glue. Worked very well. Helps to have someone handy with upholstery for all the nooks, crannies and composite curves. Gives it a nice insulated inside with some sound muffling capabilities.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
While wandering around Home Depot the other day, I noticed 4 x 8 sheets of formica. Would it be possible to glue that up on the walls? I was thinking of putting it behind my sink and stove.
Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
While wandering around Home Depot the other day, I noticed 4 x 8 sheets of formica. Would it be possible to glue that up on the walls? I was thinking of putting it behind my sink and stove.
Alice
If you were just going to use a small piece, such as a backsplash, it would easily conform well enough to attach. In fact it could easily flex enough to slip behind the cupboard base and the lip of the base cabinet.
Compound curves elsewhere would prohibit it's installation as a general lining.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #11

Utah
Registry
Quote:
If you were just going to use a small piece, such as a backsplash, it would easily conform well enough to attach. In fact it could easily flex enough to slip behind the cupboard base and the lip of the base cabinet.
Compound curves elsewhere would prohibit it's installation as a general lining.
Thanks Floyd, now I have another project down the road. Would you recommend taking the rat fur off first or can the formica be slipped right over it? Would there be concern for condensation?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Thanks Floyd, now I have another project down the road. Would you recommend taking the rat fur off first or can the formica be slipped right over it? Would there be concern for condensation?
If you cut it just right you could slip it in place without adhesive right over the ratfur, this is often done without removing any rivets.
Plastic sheeting, or abs, even stainless steel, or 1/8" paneling has been used for this purpose.
If you are concerned about it staying in place, then glue a small piece of the hook side of a velcro strip behind the middle of each end. I will look permanent yet do no harm.
Suggestion... Find an old dishwasher or fridge and cut a piece out of the side for a nice rigid and free piece of material.
Also... although it may not be necessary, you could buy a couple of those little plastic automotive door edge guards and slip them on each end as trim.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #13

Utah
Registry
Quote:
If you cut it just right you could slip it in place without adhesive right over the ratfur, this is often done without removing any rivets.
Plastic sheeting, or abs, even stainless steel, or 1/8" paneling has been used for this purpose.
If you are concerned about it staying in place, then glue a small piece of the hook side of a velcro strip behind the middle of each end. I will look permanent yet do no harm.
Suggestion... Find an old dishwasher or fridge and cut a piece out of the side for a nice rigid and free piece of material.
Also... although it may not be necessary, you could buy a couple of those little plastic automotive door edge guards and slip them on each end as trim.
You've given me some more food for thought. I saw some of the plastic trim in HD that Scamp uses in their cupboard and closet door openings. That could be used as trim too.

The closet A/C may be back on the project list. The biggest problem is separating the incoming/exhaust air. I'm gonna check around at a couple of HVAC places to see if they could rig up some duct work to do the job for me. I have a picture in mind, if I can just convey it into words.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #14

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Quote:

Escape in Canada and Trillium in Irvine CA are vinyl with a padded backing of some sort. Escapes offer added insulation as an option, Trilliums (Calif) have insulation, as well (Insulated Closed Cell Vinyl Ceiling / Wall Covering).

EggCampers have two fiberglass shells, outside and inside with insulation in between. Parkliners have astro-foil insulation covered with special fuzzy wall lining. Casitas and Trillium Outback (Canada) both have some sort of fuzzy liner, too.
aimeelightsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeelightsey View Post
Escape in Canada and Trillium in Irvine CA are vinyl with a padded backing of some sort. Escapes offer added insulation as an option, Trilliums (Calif) have insulation, as well (Insulated Closed Cell Vinyl Ceiling / Wall Covering).

EggCampers have two fiberglass shells, outside and inside with insulation in between. Parkliners have astro-foil insulation covered with special fuzzy wall lining. Casitas and Trillium Outback (Canada) both have some sort of fuzzy liner, too.
Thanks, so far no surprises, but it is good to consider all ideas. I think all this input has distilled and confirmed my approach to my present project.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #16

Name: Lucas
Trailer: 1986 cadet
Ontario
I am in the process of restoring a cadet camper, I am having a really hard time getting anything to stick to the fiver glass, I used fabric and under lay originally with 3m glue and that lasted about a week, so I pulled it out and replaced it with paneling and PL premium, even that is now coming unglued from the ceiling, any ideas why it is doing this? I'm beginning to get pretty frustrated with this trailer! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Lucasvickery is offline   Reply With Quote