inspection - like a boat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
inspection - like a boat

how does one get an inspection of a used casita or scamp? am thinking calling a marina and asking their mechanics how much they would charge for an inspection.

its fiberglass. its mechanical. its electrical. it has embedded structural frame components.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Im not sure that a boat person would know the innards of a camper. I would see if there is a Camper's World near by if you decide to go that route. Wont the buyer do a walk through and show you functionality and setup? I believe there is buying a camper checklist on this forum. Donna will know where it is.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #3

South Carolina
Yes will love to read a checklist. Right now am of a mindset that if it turns on, it works; if it is stained, could be ruined underneith.

Would really like to know how to detect cracks in the frame, and body, and hidden major structural issues. Like if the water froze in the tanks and cracked them, put patched to hide it. That kind of thing.

Would think a boat mechanic would be good at detecting fiberglass structural issues. In an ideal world there is a CAMPERS WORLD nearby, but bet most areas do not have one in 100 miles (200 round trip - four hours) of the camper you want to buy.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Find the Buyer's Check List Here

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I will tell you this from my own personal experience is that I looked forever and ever to find an Egg(for the right price). So if yours is pretty decent and depending upon your technical skills it is worth snagging one. If you dont there will be ten people behind you who will snatch it away. The beauty of FG is that its totally repairable. From others comments the most critical is the frame and the axle. But they can be replaced or repaired depending upon how far you want to go. Give the thread a chance to respond on the west coast and there will be more input.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Haveing come from the marine world, you can try googling boat surveyers in your area. They might not be knowledgeable about fiberglass trailers but they should be able to check the hull and systems since they are similar...but not sure about them checking the trailer frame for integrity

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd take it to an RV place to have all the systems checked. Google is your friend. A place that builds utility trailers may be able to check the frame and axle, if you don't care to have the rest checked out. As far as the body goes, everyone at everyplace will give it a visual inspection... you can do that. Looking for cracks, spider cracks, discoloration, etc. The floor can be checked, first by walking on it. Does it flex, feel mushy, etc.? THEN second, getting underneath and look for areas of dampness, discoloration that may be caused by wetting and then drying out. Tap the entire floor with a screw driver... don't DIG at it... you don't need too... you'll hear a difference between solid and rot. Others will give to more ideas...

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #8

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd take it to an RV place to have all the systems checked. Google is your friend. A place that builds utility trailers may be able to check the frame and axle, if you don't care to have the rest checked out. As far as the body goes, everyone at everyplace will give it a visual inspection... you can do that. Looking for cracks, spider cracks, discoloration, etc. The floor can be checked, first by walking on it. Does it flex, feel mushy, etc.? THEN second, getting underneath and look for areas of dampness, discoloration that may be caused by wetting and then drying out. Tap the entire floor with a screw driver... don't DIG at it... you don't need too... you'll hear a difference between solid and rot. Others will give to more ideas...

Best of luck!

I'd say Donna gives the best, correct every time, advice on the web
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Is Kevin looking to get an inspection of a potential purchase that is some distance from him that he doesn't have time to go look at himself. If you find a camper, or car or boat that is hundreds of miles away and would involve considerable time and expense to get there, it may be worth it to have a professional person inspect it first so you can determine if it is what you want, the condition, and any problems. I know there are people that do this with vintage cars, and Deryk is certainly familiar with having it done with boats, but are there people that would do it with a camper. You would want a person that is certified in the trade, as condition of anything by the average person is subject to opinion. I had a friend find me a truck in Arizona, and ship it to me in NY, and his opinion of the condition was much different than mine when it was delivered to me.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Send a copy of the Buyers Checklist to the seller, asking him or her to "self-assess", then do one yourself, or have another party do it, and then compare notes.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #11

South Carolina
From the speed of how quickly another scamp sold, it looks like remote inspection could be a waste of time. You have to be lucky and fast and smart.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Having come from the marine world........

Did you know Flipper?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #13

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Did you know Flipper?
Old drinking buddies

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote