Installing a 12 volt lighting system in 73 Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Bigfoot Spirit Wing
British Columbia
Registry
Installing a 12 volt lighting system in 73 Trillium

I just purchased a 1973 Trillium 1300 with no 12 volt lighting. I want to install a battery powered 12 volt system..Any suggestions? This trailer is all original and has a 110 volt plug in and it appears to have had 12 volt lighting at one time.
idlebabyboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
My '77 had no battery when I bought it. The PO always used 120 when camping. I got a battery, hooked it up through the old converter and voila, 12 volt lighting! Your experience might be similar. I have since removed the old converter and added solar power, but I suspect the original 12 volt wiring etc is still in your Trillium, so give my idea a try.
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There is a Trillium wiring diagram in the document center. That should help. You will need a converter / battery charger. Progressive Dynamics makes a good one, but finding a spot in a Trillium for it might prove challenging.

They also make a conversion kit for other converters. In this thread this conversion kit was used by itself. It fits in the space the original converter, that Trillium used. I like it:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-48962.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Hello - I installed this converter (WFCO WF-8735) in the space under the furnace. I also added an AC outlet and a DC accessory outlet at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_0905.jpg  
Patrick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebabyboomer View Post
...and it appears to have had 12 volt lighting at one time.
Does that mean the 12v fixtures have been removed? I wouldn't have thought the previous owner would have pulled all wires even if he removed the fixtures.

Random thoughts:

Where does a normal Trillium that size store its battery? Maybe the picture gallery at the front of the site has a picture showing it if none of the members volunteer the information. Under a bench, on the tongue somewhere?

'm guessing there are no taped up battery cables somewhere on or in the trailer. Inside the trailer and it's going to need a battery box that vents to the outside and not the inside. Even AGMs should be vented "overboard".

I'm also wondering where the battery charge wire is terminated at the trailer end of the tow connection cord. That might be another indicator of where the battery was.

Probably going to need at least a 4-6 fuse DC distribution block. One with a cover is a good idea. A converter is nice but in a pinch you could carry a charger for mid-trip replenishing the battery. Going to need a deep cycle battery that fits wherever you decide to put it.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Thank you for the info. This Trillium has no wiring or converter so I am starting from scratch

Gerry
Old 08-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Steve..I am going to get a converter and battery and start from scratch

Gerry
Old 08-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
New converter may have new features let us know how it goes.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have seen the battery mounted in the gaucho, a dinette seat, and on the tongue. I have reviewed all info in the document center. There is only one angle of the tongue, and it only has a propane tank.
Truth is, I am not sure that Trillium had a standard. On the trailers that I have had a good look at, There is a pair of larger gauge wires that run from the drivers side of the gaucho to the converter. This would make it convenient to put the battery on the tongue, or in the gaucho. The correct place would be on the tongue.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:31 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebabyboomer View Post
I just purchased a 1973 Trillium 1300 with no 12 volt lighting. I want to install a battery powered 12 volt system..Any suggestions? This trailer is all original and has a 110 volt plug in and it appears to have had 12 volt lighting at one time.
I suggest you take to trailer to a electrician and have them inspect and install what ever you want. Just because 12volts won't shock you doesn't mean it's not dangerous is mishandled.

Tags
light, lighting, trillium