Installing a Casita Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2023, 04:26 PM   #1

Name: Esther
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Cool Installing a Casita Window

Due to a leak we were not able to find the source or fix we decided to install a new window in our 2006 Casita Spirit Deluxe. It is the window next to the kitchen (not the rear or emergency exit windows). It took forever to get a new window (via Casita & their window vendor). Instructions for installation were not included! And now all we can find on line are instructions for how to remove a Casita window but not how to install an new window. Does anyone have this information? (I searched the forum but was not able to find this info.) Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Replacing the window isn't all that difficult, but it definitely is a two-person job. You need to clean the area around where the window seal mates to the trailer very well with solvent and inspect it for any residual old window seal remnants.

Once the surface is cleaned and dried, you can apply a 1" wide Butyl Rubber double sided adhesive sealant tape around the perimiter of the outside section of the window unit. (They usually include the Butyl rubber tape with the window, but if they didn't, you can buy a roll of 1" Butyl rubber sealing tape at any auto parts store as well.)

My recommendation would be to make sure that you orient the window prior to mounting, as to which side goes "up," and which side goes "down." It does matter to get this right! The "give-away" will be that the opening "slider" section should go towards the rear of the trailer and the fixed panel of the window is toward the front of the trailer when installed.

When applying the Butyl rubber sealing tape, I would also recommend starting at the bottom middle of the window frame and working it around the sides and top, and back to mate up again at the middle bottom as one continuous piece all the way around. (Set the window on a couple of saw horses and a board, or a small table for a work surface to orient it and apply the sealant tape.) I would even overlap the joint at the bottom by about a half inch. It is really soft and squishy, so compressing it will not be a problem. Sometimes these weather seals shrink over time, (which is why you don't want to start applying it at the top of the window since it may create a gap down the road for water intrusion in that gap.) This way, with any gap if it happens, it would be under the window where it would drip away, and not at the top where it could work its way inside.

With one person inside the trailer, along with the inside trim ring and mounting screws, while the person outside orients the window frame into the cut-out in the trailer shell, the person outside, after aligning the window in the opening, needs to press the window up tight to the trailer shell and hold it there while the person inside installs the trim ring, (again, the joint seam of the inside trim ring should be at the bottom when installing it,) and start installing a few screws in the pre-drilled holes to secure the window in the opening. The screws will draw the window up tight to the trailer as they are tightened. After all the screws are installed in the frame and tightened up, you can go outside and remove any excess Butyl tape that squeezes out around the edge of the window frame. It's very soft and pliable and will peel off like Silly Putty. Just take a rag with a little spray cleaner and go around the edge of the window outside to clean up any residual stuff stuck on the outside of the trailer after the installation. The whole job shouldn't take you more than about 15-20 minutes. (Maybe a little longer if you've never changed one before.) But it's not a daunting process. You'll be happy with it when you're done.
Enjoy your project.

I have also added a few extra windows in my Casita as well. One up front in the bathroom that looks out front, (I never liked not being able to see what's going on up front without having to go outside to do it, and I added this "porthole" when the trailer was only about 2 months old.) And the other was a window I added in the "backsplash" area of the galley, which to me was always kind of a dark corner before. It really brightens it up. It also opens for ventilation, has a screen over the sliding section, and even the screen opens as a handy pass thru to grab that beer!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0016 (2).JPG   040.jpg  

IMG_0006.jpg   041.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
I love the window over the sink and stove. I would like to do the same thing. Where did you get your window? What are the dimensions (LxWxDepth)? Does this weaken the wall strength of the Casita? I know that you have to cut a groove in the bottom of the cabinet to allow for the inside window frame. What else do I need to know.
Thank you so much in advance!
Keith
Keith Minter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Minter View Post
I love the window over the sink and stove. I would like to do the same thing. Where did you get your window? What are the dimensions (LxWxDepth)? Does this weaken the wall strength of the Casita? I know that you have to cut a groove in the bottom of the cabinet to allow for the inside window frame. What else do I need to know.
Thank you so much in advance!
Keith
Where did you get your window? I bought the window right from Casita. (Hint: It's the same window that is mounted vertically on the driver's side in the bathroom.)
I drilled additional "weep holes" for drainage on the bottom side, (since I installed it horizontally, not vertically, and the factory weep holes were installed at the narrow edge which is the bottom when installed in the bathroom,) and I also didn't want any curtains or other flammable materials in proximity to the gas stove, so an added benefit is that already has that crinkly looking "privacy glass" that lets light through, but it can't be seen through.

As to weakening the fiberglass trailer shell? No, it doesn't. In fact, it is probably the smallest factory installed window in the trailer, (second only to my bathroom front port-hole window.) All the trailer windows, hatch openings, utilities, etc, are all cut into the fiberglass after the trailer hull sections come out of the molds and are joined at the "belly band."

"I know that you have to cut a groove in the bottom of the cabinet to allow for the inside window frame." No, I didn't. I installed a "doughnut" I made from some fairly stiff but bendable hard rubber that doesn't compress in the interstitial space between the trailer hull and the fiberglass backsplash to prevent either fiberglass panel from deforming during tightening the window up. There is no groove. The inside hole is the same size as the outside hole.

What else do I need to know? I'd start with making a smaller hole, somewhere near to where the new window would be centered, and remove the fiberglass a little at a time. You can always remove more but you can't put the genie back in the bottle if you make the cut-out too large.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:24 PM   #5

Name: Esther
Massachusetts
Thank you so much. I love the detail. The window did not come with the tape so we'll try to find that. But it has a rubber gasket all around.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:15 PM   #6

Name: Peter
Oregon
Nothing but the facts sir

Thanks; a model for answering a member's questions.
Cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:27 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
Help With My New Casita Window

Greg,

Thank you so much for all of the very detailed information regarding putting in a new window in my Casita. I can't imagine how I would have done it (without mistakes) if you hadn't been so helpful.

Keep up the good work and Thanks again!

Keith
Keith Minter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita