Installing Dometic 2351 - Be Careful! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Installing Dometic 2351 - Be Careful!

I just installed, and then corrected the install of a Dometic 2351 2-way refrigerator. My old original Instamatic had quit working on 12 volt, and the I had propane leaks in the back at the propane control box. I didn't try very hard, but the leak appeared to be unrepairable (not a thread leak), so I just replaced it.

I purchased a Dometic 2351 and just finished installing it last week. It was slightly smaller (3/4 inch on all sides) that the instamatic, and not as deep. The installation manual that came with the new fridge called for minimum clearances on all sides of 0 inches, and a maximum clearance of 1" at the back, between the coils and the trailer outside wall. I reduced side and top bottom clearances to about 1/8" by installing baffles from 1x2 frame and leftover paneling. I added a baffle of the same material at the back, reducing the clearance at the back to about 1/2 inch.

The fridge started up and ran beautifully, and kept temperature well, even though that is not adjustable in this model.

BUT, the furnace vent was quite warm, the inside trailer wall next the refrigerator propane chimney was very warm, and there was the distinct smell of wood heating! I shut it all down, and went to the trusty web. I found an installation manual for the 2351 only (the one that I had was a multi-model manual with tables to direct you to your specific model). It specified the same clearances as my manual, EXCEPT the rear clearance, coils to trailer outside wall. The new manual specified a minimum clearance of 1 inch from any combustible material, with no maximum clearance!

Once I made the appropriate change, everything ran well, including this past weekend out.

If you are installing this fridge, check the web for the updated installation manual.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
If you are installing this fridge, check the web for the updated installation manual.

Vic
Can I offer my own advice by paraphrasing you?

If you are installing anything, check the web for the updated installation manual.

Come to think of it, why would there be a maximum clearance in such an install.. No doubt it was a typo and they wrote maximum when they meant minimum.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Come to think of it, why would there be a maximum clearance in such an install.. No doubt it was a typo and they wrote maximum when they meant minimum.
Not quite. First photo is the table from page 5 of the original manual, second from page 5 of the net manual.
Attached Thumbnails
clear 1.jpg   clear 2.jpg  

Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Not quite. First photo is the table from page 5 of the original manual, second from page 5 of the net manual.
Oh yes, of course.. maximum in order to facilitate proper air flow.. I was thinking only clearance from combustibles.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
I just installed, and then corrected the install of a Dometic 2351 2-way refrigerator.

*snipped for brevity*

Vic
Thanks for the installation tip! I recently picked up one of these refrigerators on Craigslist for $50. Turns out the Compact Jr I just bought doesn't have a fridge, so it was serendipity all around.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote