Installing eye bolts in Scamp ceiling. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #21

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
you were right

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Curious what is it you want to hang... I’m pretty sure someone on this great forum has either done it already or may have some other ideas

At first, I found your post annoying. That was before I realized you were right. Thanks for nudging me in a better direction. (see below)
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #22

California
Thank you! Here is what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I think they are rivets and not bolts (with a very few exceptions where bolts are used). The rivets (or bolt heads) have snap cap bases under the head on the exterior and snap caps on the bases.

But each one creates a possible leak sooner or later, so I am also in the "don't make more holes" school. Instead I would use fiberglass cloth and resin to attach (glass-in) some wood blocks, then use eye-screws in the wood block that do not penetrate the shell (thereby creating a possible leak someday).

The down side is if you are doing this where there is rat fur or elephant skin. You would need to glass in the wood blocks underneath or cut it away to make room for the wood block.

And remember, the shape is not the only reason they call them egg campers. The roof is not designed to hold more weight, except were reinforced to do so.

Thanks for the awesome advice everyone, about how to do it, and why not to do it. At first, I was really resistant to the don't do it crowd, but I think the wisdom of that eventually seeped in and here is what I actually did (to hang a macbook air above my head so I can read kindle books and watch videos):
Attached Thumbnails
Comp-Scamp.jpg  
Old 04-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #23

California
boondocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Since the original poster has never responded back as to what he was trying to hang I’m assuming he has other dropped the idea or found a solution
I will never understand ( my pet peeve)... why someone will post an issue and either never respond back or let us know what the solution was..... one never knows if someone else might have the same problem later on
I totally understand (and agree) Alan. Sorry for the slow reply, I was boondocking for a few days... Thanks again for nudging me away from my unwise idea.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #24

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The best way to install some mounting in the ceiling or anywhere else on the shell would be to screw and glue a hardwood block directly to the fiberglass.
In my case I have Ensolite insulation, but the idea is to cut the insulation and inside covering out carefully to match the shape of the block you want to attach.
Carefully shape the mating side of the block to fit the shell.
When you are done with that drill a few small holes spaced to support the block.
When done with that carefully countersink outside of the holes to match some stainless flathead screws to screw into the block.
Have someone hold the block in position while you drill some pilot holes using the previous holes as guides.
Clean off all of the dust and put a little glue on the block and have your helper hold it again and then put a dollop of glue in the hole from the outside and install the screws.
By the way this is the way that the rear cabinets are installed and I have never seen a leak or loose screw in those.
I also mounted all of my cabinets and bulkheads that way using screws and polyurethane adhesive and no leaks, no loose screws over 30 K miles and 6 years.
Here is an example of how I mounted the overhead cabinets in my Scamp

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #25

California
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The best way to install some mounting in the ceiling or anywhere else on the shell would be to screw and glue a hardwood block directly to the fiberglass.
In my case I have Ensolite insulation, but the idea is to cut the insulation and inside covering out carefully to match the shape of the block you want to attach.
Carefully shape the mating side of the block to fit the shell.
When you are done with that drill a few small holes spaced to support the block.
When done with that carefully countersink outside of the holes to match some stainless flathead screws to screw into the block.
Have someone hold the block in position while you drill some pilot holes using the previous holes as guides.
Clean off all of the dust and put a little glue on the block and have your helper hold it again and then put a dollop of glue in the hole from the outside and install the screws.
By the way this is the way that the rear cabinets are installed and I have never seen a leak or loose screw in those.
I also mounted all of my cabinets and bulkheads that way using screws and polyurethane adhesive and no leaks, no loose screws over 30 K miles and 6 years.
Here is an example of how I mounted the overhead cabinets in my Scamp

Wow. That looks really great!

Tags
scamp