Installing Fantastic fan on my Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro
After many years, I'm still working on my 13' 1981 Burro.
I recently completed (translation: recovered from the PTSD associated with) an off-frame floor replacement that I started 4-5 years ago and now I'm taking care of what's left.

I'm installing a Fantastic Fan. The problem is the curve of the roof. When I lay the fan into the hole I've got about a 2" difference in the roof-to-flange distance between the inner and outer sides. While the thinner, inner side of the hole will "give", I don't think I can expect it to move upwards that much when I screw the fan down into it.
I'm considering making a contoured support, that would go on top of the roof, to accomodate the discrepancy but wanted to see what other folk's experiences have been.
I don't know if this problem is universal to all Molded Fiberglass RVs, only to those with vertical seams, only to Burros or only to my Burro, but figured I'd toss the question out there. I appreciate the assistance.
Martin G.
Martin G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I didn't have the curvature problem on my Boler but I made a spacer from plywood and fibreglassed it to my roof. This video might give you some ideas.

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:
I didn't have the curvature problem on my Boler but I made a spacer from plywood and fibreglassed it to my roof. This video might give you some ideas.

Hello Kevin61,
I've watched that video and others that you have made. They are all very informative and I'd like to thank you for your time and effort in doing them.
I saw in your video that the Boler's roof was flat, or at least much flatter, than my Burro's roof. I figured that was most probably due to the Burro's vertical seam.
I've searched the forums for posts dealing with roof vent/fan replacements on Burro's but, although I know that many Burro folks have done this, have not been able to locate any relevant posts.
I'm hoping that another Burro, or U-haul, or other vertically-seamed trailer owner with some experience will see this and let me know how they handled the install.
Thanks for your help.
Martin G.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Thanks for making and posting your videos Kevin, that will be a huge help to many people!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I saw in your video that the Boler's roof was flat, or at least much flatter, than my Burro's roof. I figured that was most probably due to the Burro's vertical seam.
Martin,

I'm just curious: Are you trying to install the vent over the seamed area? Or are you putting it off to the side and just in the general roof area?

Just FYI, the Boler's roof is curved, although mostly only in the front-to-back plane. I suppose the vent probably "makes" the roof flatten out a bit in that area, although you can't tell by looking at it that it is any flatter. I wouldn't want to try to flatten out a huge curve though.

The U-haul has a vent/cooler installed right in the center of the roof, although I'm not sure if they just cut off the seam ridge (it's not structural), or if they molded something in place. My guess is they just cut/ground off the seam "mohawk," and then mounted it.

Anyway, just wondering if your lack of fitting was due to the actual seam rib, or to the general curvature of the roof. Any photos?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Martin,

I'm just curious: Are you trying to install the vent over the seamed area? Or are you putting it off to the side and just in the general roof area?

Just FYI, the Boler's roof is curved, although mostly only in the front-to-back plane. I suppose the vent probably "makes" the roof flatten out a bit in that area, although you can't tell by looking at it that it is any flatter. I wouldn't want to try to flatten out a huge curve though.

The U-haul has a vent/cooler installed right in the center of the roof, although I'm not sure if they just cut off the seam ridge (it's not structural), or if they molded something in place. My guess is they just cut/ground off the seam "mohawk," and then mounted it.

Anyway, just wondering if your lack of fitting was due to the actual seam rib, or to the general curvature of the roof. Any photos?

Raya

Raya,
No, not through the vertical seam.
The Burro originally came with a non-fan crank up vent located a few inches away from the seam on the driver's side. I removed that vent and I'm just putting the Fantastic Fan into it's "standard size" cutout. It is the roof's curvature that complicates the installation. Sorry, no pictures.
Thanks,
Martin G.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
Hey Martin,

I just purchased a Burro and have the same offset crank-up fan. I want to put in a fantastic fan. Did you have any success with this? If so what size model fantastic fan worked for you? And if you could share any tips or tricks that would be FANtastic..... <---- see what I did there.

Thanks,
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Nice video. I like the deflector too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #10

Name: Rick
Massachusetts
Hi Martin and Tommy,

I replaced the original vent in my 84 Burro with the FF just like you are planning. I did not need a spacer of any kind. I just followed the installation instructions with the fan. The flexibility of the roof fiberglass allowed the outer flange of the fan assembly to seat properly against the roof. The inner trim is a little tricky since the interior surface is curved. But I was able to angle the corner mounting screws in toward the fan so they did not penetrate the Burro shell and then tightened them down till the trim looked good all around. The inner trim is quite flexible and conformed nicely to the roof shape and it has looked good for the 5 years that it has been there.

Rick.
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Colorado
Thanks Rick. I ended up doing exactly as you did. But my screws going from the fan/roof down did not fall inside the recessed fan area on the inside of the burro roof so I may need to extend my ceiling flange with some additional plastic. Still very happy that I did not have to build some spacer.
Oh and I used a maxx fan delux so maybe thats why the screw holes over shot the inside mounting area....i will send pics when i have a chance
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro