Installing Fantastic Vent in a Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 95 Bigfoot 17 ft / 2005 F-250 V-10
Well--I thought this might be pretty simple to do. But--no.....
Guess I need a litttle
I bought a fantastic vent for my '92 17 ft. Bigfoot. I have pulled the old vent bottom out (not the top yet) There does not seem to be any wiring running close to the vent, although there is a notch into the frame--but I cannot see any wire.
Bringing power from either ceiling light does not seem to be an easy project either. There is no easy way to drill through the roof supports (no way for me to get at them)
Has anyone out there done this before on a Bigfoot--or am I going to have to take it in to have it done.

Thanks for any advice!
Bonnie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #2

OK--well after a bit more poking around, I found a way to get the wire to power. The notch in the framework of the vent did indeed go towards the cabinets over the sink and there was a junction box there--I took a chance and drilled through the ceiling inside of the cabinets and was able to run a wire to the vent--that problem solved.

Now--looking at the top of the vent it has quite a heavy coating of sealant and looks like it is pop-riveted on.
So any suggestions there--I am a bit afraid to dig into it.
Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1991 Bigfoot
Bonnie,

I also installed a Fantastic Fan in my Bigfoot. I did the same thing that you did with the wires in going through the roof "channel" into the cabinat to get power.

On my roof, after getting all the gunk off, I found that the upper part was screwed into the roof. I just unscrewed and gently pried off the flange. I did have to drill new holes as nothing lined up but the new claking and flange filled everything in and sealed well.

Good Luck! You will like the Fantastic Fan after it is installed. It really moves a lot of air and helps keep thing cool.

- Joe
Joe Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
I also like the Maxx Fan that I installed in my Bigfoot. It was pretty easy to install too.

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #5

Thank you Joe and Yves
I had a friend take a look at the situation.
Looks like the original vent is screwed on--but also fiberglassed over. a very satisfactory sealing job!! So when we have some time to devote to this we will grind off the seal and replace the vent. My friend has done some fiberglassing--so we are going to redo the top that way, as well as screw it on--he says it is not a big chore to do.
Now we just have to find some time!

Tags
bigfoot