Installing new threshold seal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 05:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Installing new threshold seal?

I 'm replacing my door orginal seals on my 2007 13' Deluxe with the current seals sold by Scamp. I have the door surround completed and have the threshold old seal removed and completely cleaned up ready to install the new threshold seal purchased from scamp. I was surprised to find a 6" black flat metal bracket under the old seal at the bottom right corner of the door opening. This bracket does not fit flat against the body.
My question is-- does the new threshold rubber fit over this bracket or should I try to squeeze that portion of the seal onto the metal threshold strip leaving the bracket exposed? If I run the seal over the bracket, half the tape on the seal will be on the bracket and half on the threshold metal frame for that 6" causing that corner to stick out more than the rest of the seal.
As I didn't expect to find that bracket at the bottom of the door I didn't pay much attention as to how the orginal foam seal fit on that corner. Appreciate any input from those that have replaced this seal or have a new Scamp, assuming the new trailers have this bracket on the door, as to how the seal fits from Scamp.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
I also have this bracket on our 16' 1986 Scamp. It did not have the threshold seal installed, so I am also interested in this answer!
Forward Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I called camp today since suggestions have been far and few between. Scamp stated to put the seal right over top the bracket. After this mornings Scamp call, I took a good look at the threshold and the new threshold rubber seal I ordered from Scamp. Putting the seal over the bracket may be fine for the bottom edge of the door, however, it doesn't fit correctly against the door surround seal the extends to the bottom of the fiberglass on either side of the door. So I decided to position the seal slightly higher on the threshold plate above the black bracket and it worked just fine.
I then measured side to side so the rubber threshold gasket touched the vertical door seal on each side if the door. The plastic piece that fits around the door edge is thicker so the threshold gasket will need a notch cut out of it on the back (tape) side at each end to fit around this plastic door piece . This works fine as although there is no tape adhering the seal at the final inch or so at each end, the rubber has enough body so it stays snuggly in place, I looks great and seals nicely too. Good luck! If more info required, pls send private message and I'll try to add more info!
Old 07-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Good luck! If more info required, pls send private message and I'll try to add more info!
Glad it worked for you. Any chance you could upload a picture or two? Thanks!
Forward Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #5

Name: Dayton
Trailer: NA
Georgia
Looking on Scamp's website, the black metal piece is to help tight fitting doors close.

My 2014 Scamp did NOT have a tight fitting door, and I removed that piece, creating a much better door seal. You might choose to do the same.
docarter is offline   Reply With Quote