Installing power cord on Scamp 5th Wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: 19 ft. Scamp
Florida
Installing power cord on Scamp 5th Wheel

Has anyone had to replace the power cord with the seven way connector (from camper to tow vehicle)? Cannot find the junction box. Really don't want to tear out the steps. Please help! Thanks!
George in FL
George in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you look at the corresponding outside spot where the wiring harness enters the trailer you will normally on Scamps find the connections on the inside of the trailer right at the spot - often hidden behind the rat fur - no junction box just wires spliced together.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I rewired the 12 volt side of my fiver this summer. Carol is correct, the cable enters the trailer an has a bunch of splices under the rat fur. I cut out all of the splices and installed a junction box. One of the splices failed and caused a small electrical fire. I highly recommend doing the same in your trailer. The ScotchLock connectors that Scamp uses are not the best electrical connectors.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
There should also be an inline fuse in with all those hidden spliced wires. It can be hard to see/notice if your not looking for it. I know a few people when changing out their wiring harness have not noticed & tossed it out with all the old splices etc... not a good idea as that fuse and the other one that should be just outside the battery box are there to protect your trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
There should also be an inline fuse in with all those hidden spliced wires. It can be hard to see/notice if your not looking for it. I know a few people when changing out their wiring harness have not noticed & tossed it out with all the old splices etc... not a good idea as that fuse and the other one that should be just outside the battery box are there to protect your trailer.
If my trailer had a fuse in that bundle, it was charred beyond recognition in the fire, but I did install a circuit breaker in line at the new terminal box.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Scotch locks are the worst electrical connectors ever invented IMHO.. Twisting the wires together and taping them would be better.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #7

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Scotch locks are the worst electrical connectors ever invented IMHO.. Twisting the wires together and taping them would be better.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
I agree, and that is why all of the connections in my Scamp are now in terminal boxes.

Tags
scamp