Insurance and the Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Insurance and the Egg

Just wondering how many people put a separate insurance policy on their trailer.? Does it come under my Auto policy when being towed? Does it need it's own liability and theft policy? This is for in Ontario Ca. Does it change if I were to go to the States? I tried the search function but I can't use it properly if my life depended on it. Sorry if this is repetitive.
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The short answer is YES. Your car insurance only covers your trailer when being towed, any time your trailer in not connected to your vehicle you will need a separate policy to cover theft, vandalism, etc.

Also be aware most coverage requires you to check your trailer a minimum of every 30 days to maintain coverage, this means that if it is stored at a facility you need to go check on it.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Ontario
Kind of figured it did. Guess I will have to call the agent and see how much they will ding me. Guess the more you want to play, the more you pay.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We just purchased a "Good Sam" insurance policy for our new Lil Snoozy, as they give full NEW replacement for the 1st 5 years, and give a $3000.00 contents coverage for our up grades, and a few other perks that I can't think of right now. I still am covered by my TV insurance for comprehensive.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Insurance companies are all different, if your Trillium is older they may only insure it for what you paid for it, some will let you set a value but if you have a claim you have to provide proof of that value. The final option is to get an appraisal done, this gives an insured value and proof before a claim, but there are usually additional premiums associated with that (ask me I know)

Newer trailers you can insure for replacement value plus contents.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #6

Ontario
Thanks for the helpful advice. I wonder what the Trillium would be worth if appraised? I will only be cleaning it up this year.
Funny Ian I was just reading your Boler reno on my I pad. Came over to the Pc to watch a video and can't find it in the search. As I said I just can't use that feature. Now I can link into it from your signature. And...The appraisal on your Boler must be good.

David I can see needing replacement on a new trailer. They are a lot for purchase price. I had no idea the cost of a new Egg until last week.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
Thanks for the helpful advice. I wonder what the Trillium would be worth if appraised? I will only be cleaning it up this year.
Funny Ian I was just reading your Boler reno on my I pad. Came over to the Pc to watch a video and can't find it in the search. As I said I just can't use that feature. Now I can link into it from your signature. And...The appraisal on your Boler must be good.

David I can see needing replacement on a new trailer. They are a lot for purchase price. I had no idea the cost of a new Egg until last week.
The value of your Trillium depends more on condition than anything, Value without seeing it is probably in the $5000-$6500 range but again this is just going on recent sales.

Remember that appraisals cost money to get and you have to get them reappraised every 5 years. Mine is appraised at $24,000 plus $6,000 contents. I just hope i never have to make a claim.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We just purchased a "Good Sam" insurance policy for our new Lil Snoozy, as they give full NEW replacement for the 1st 5 years, and give a $3000.00 contents coverage for our up grades, and a few other perks that I can't think of right now. I still am covered by my TV insurance for comprehensive.
Dave & Paula
I just looked at my policy, and in addition to the above, it has $100,000/300,000 Bodily Injury Liability (ie: a persons falls while coming out of your trailer)
Property Damage Liability $100,000 Medical Payments $5,000
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
Just wondering how many people put a separate insurance policy on their trailer.? Does it come under my Auto policy when being towed? Does it need it's own liability and theft policy? This is for in Ontario Ca. Does it change if I were to go to the States? I tried the search function but I can't use it properly if my life depended on it. Sorry if this is repetitive.
Here in BC Don, its mandatory that the trailer have its own plates and a min of $200,000 liability insurance as well as underinsured motorist protection. My home owners insurance will not cover the trailer sen if its parked in the carport and the house was to burn down or if it was stolen - the trailer requires its own insurance policy for that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #10

Ontario
I'll call this week and get it insured. It is just sitting in my driveway and don't want to get it stolen
Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #11

Ontario
I obtained insurance of my Trillium today. I was very reasonable compared to the other recreational toys I have insured. She is all ready to go.