Insurance (yes, again) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: Casita 2018 Liberty Dlx
Massachusetts
Insurance (yes, again)

Decided to start a new post rather than get added to page 4 of a thread that's several months old. That thread was extremely helpful to me as a newbie. I found a review specific to RV insurance that I wish I had seen first: http://www.consumersadvocate.org/rv-insurance
This rates and reports on separate criteria, not just aggregate ratings. AND they explain how they came to their conclusions AND, if you scroll past all the reviews, there is general info about RV insurance that is very educational.

Don't care for their "boomers or millennials" labels, but then I think labels are for objects, not people.

Thank you to all who share information on this forum. I LOVE it.
Good luck all you searchers....
Kate
KamperKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
RV insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperKate View Post
Decided to start a new post rather than get added to page 4 of a thread that's several months old. That thread was extremely helpful to me as a newbie. I found a review specific to RV insurance that I wish I had seen first: http://www.consumersadvocate.org/rv-insurance

Kate
Lots of good information. People have trouble understanding insurance. This includes people that think the RV is covered because the tow vehicle has towing insurance on it. When shopping for RV insurance one should always include your auto insurance agent in the mix. In my case it was a good policy at a great price. Plus, I have a local agent that I know and can talk to. The big problem I have had with 3 different RVs is that I could not get as much coverage as I wanted due to the cost of modifications that I had added.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #3

Name: Kate
Trailer: Casita 2018 Liberty Dlx
Massachusetts
RV insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Lots of good information. People have trouble understanding insurance. This includes people that think the RV is covered because the tow vehicle has towing insurance on it. When shopping for RV insurance one should always include your auto insurance agent in the mix. In my case it was a good policy at a great price. Plus, I have a local agent that I know and can talk to.

Thanks! Good to get feedback from a "Senior Member" of the Forum. Completely agree about starting with my auto agent, now that I know what to ask.
KamperKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The article says:
"By law, any type of registered vehicle must be insured. Motorhomes, like cars, are required to at least have liability insurance. Travel trailers and other towable RVs, on the other hand, cannot be driven and therefore aren’t required to have insurance. Keep in mind that towable RVs, although not vehicles, are still susceptible to theft, damage from natural disasters, vandalism, and collision, so it is highly recommended for them to still have coverage" (emphasis added).

Do the authors not know that trailers used on public roads are considered vehicles and must be registered (with a few exceptions)? Not all registered vehicles are motorized. They are correct, however, in that only motorized vehicles must carry liability insurance, not towed vehicles.

I was looking for some charts showing how all the various companies compared on specific evaluation criteria. Did I miss it? Just giving top picks in rather loosely defined categories is not so helpful. Too many words, not enough data for my liking.

It did raise some questions that I would like to ask my insurer. Thanks for sharing the link.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote