Interior material? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

Name: Holly
Trailer: Trillium 1300
AB
Interior material?

Hello what is the shiny plastic material making up the interior cabinets and backsplash of my Trillium 1300? I'm really not a handy person at all, but I'd like to install a hanging organizer from the cabinet. I'm trying to figure out which drill bit to use to avoid cracking it.
Hollyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
The shiny plastic material is the gelcoat coating over molded fiberglass. Its the same type of material as that used on the outer shell of the trailer. There is wiring behind the backsplash, so be careful. Many folks use command strips, command hooks, etc, to avoid drilling into the gelcoat.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
you could take a look at the suction cup organizers that are used in showers. Those will stick to the gel coat of fiberglass very nicely. The best part they are not permanent so no holes to drill, no adhesives needed. But do get a good quality one, the cheap ones don't have all that strong of suction. An advantage is you can then move them again and again if you change your mind about the location of the rack.

Here is an example:
https://walldecorationss.com/shop/sh...o-conditioner/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I just got rid of the last of my suction devices and installed a 3M Command bath basket. It stays attached to the shower wall.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #5

Name: Holly
Trailer: Trillium 1300
AB
Thank you guys. This is so helpful! I felt a little overwhelmed being a new trailer owner, but I feel a lot better now that I realize how great this forum is.
Hollyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I just got rid of the last of my suction devices and installed a 3M Command bath basket. It stays attached to the shower wall.
I have had quite a few Command strip failures even though I use the strongest strips and don't overload the containers.

No perfect solutions exist for temporary fastening which is what Command strips and suction cups are. There are just some solutions that do work for at least a little while...
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote