Inverter Problems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2006, 05:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
While on the Lanesboro campout, we were plugged in to shore power. We were running a couple of our 12 volt interior lights, and the 12 volt porch light.

The fridge was on, with the switch set to 110.

We went to turn the furnace on, to take the edge off, and everything started to flicker. There is a little red light on the inverter that comes on now when we try to run any 12v item. This light flickers and says "Overload" below it. The light does not flicker when only the fridge is running by itself.

The inverter has 6 breaker switches and 4 fuses. None of the breakers were tripped, and all of the fuses seem fine.

I hope the whole thing isn't fried! Any suggestions?
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It will do that when your battery charge level drops below "X" volts. It is different with each invertor, the smaller they are, the more forgiving, at least, thats what I found using my 70 watt one vs. my 300 watt one.

Try letting your battery get up to full charge and try again.

The porch light can suck the life out of a battery in no time. You were probably consuming more than you were putting in and it didn't catch up.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
While on the Lanesboro campout, we were plugged in to shore power. We were running a couple of our 12 volt interior lights, and the 12 volt porch light.

The fridge was on, with the switch set to 110.

We went to turn the furnace on, to take the edge off, and everything started to flicker. There is a little red light on the inverter that comes on now when we try to run any 12v item. This light flickers and says "Overload" below it. The light does not flicker when only the fridge is running by itself.

The inverter has 6 breaker switches and 4 fuses. None of the breakers were tripped, and all of the fuses seem fine.

I hope the whole thing isn't fried! Any suggestions?

I believe you're talking about your "converter" not "inverter. My 2006 Scamp came with an American Enterprises converter. You might want to look at their web site. http://americandirect.ibuilder.com/default.asp?.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I believe you're talking about your "converter" not "inverter. My 2006 Scamp came with an American Enterprises converter. You might want to look at their web site. http://americandirect.ibuilder.com/default.asp?.
Yup, that's the thingy.
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote