Is gelcoat layer needed to make fg waterproof? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #1

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
Is gelcoat layer needed to make fg waterproof?

Our '00 Burro had holes in the wheel wells where we assume years of rocks/debris thrown up by tires did the damage. My husband repaired with a few layers of new fiberglass. However we are getting conflicting answers on whether a gelcoat layer is needed over the new fg in order to waterproof. Some have told us that the glass alone is NOT waterproof. Thoughts?
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Because it's in the wheel well I would use a heavy coat of undercoating to reduce rock strikes/damage.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Fibreglass is water proof.

But I am told it needs to be covered due to ultra violet damage. Your wheel wells are not likely to see much sunlight though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Could you use a spray can type chip guard over the glass? Although I bought a can to do bumper on my chevy, it dries like a rubbery undercoating. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree with Bob and Wendy. Gelcoat is not needed, but an undercoating is a good idea. Just be sure to apply it when it's thoroughly dry.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
Seems like the consensus is that we are OK without the gelcoat. Thank you for the tips on the undercoating. Wendy, you mention a spray form of chip guard. What is the product name? I want to check it out.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mglyons View Post
Seems like the consensus is that we are OK without the gelcoat. Thank you for the tips on the undercoating. Wendy, you mention a spray form of chip guard. What is the product name? I want to check it out.
3M product.

Call your local bodyshop supply company and tell them you are looking for the lower bodyguard spray product from 3M.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Love this stuff, works well and lasts for years in rough service.
It also sticks to any surface without the need for primer...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
The Dupli-Color is in Lowes and Home Depot and Oreillys . not sure about others. Good stuff.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
The stuff I was thinking of is similar to what has been posted here, but I got mine from my mechanic who is a NAPA mechanic. It is a black spray can that says "Paintable Rubberized Undercoating." After I take care of the rust on my front bumper and prime, I was going to spray this stuff on before spray painting with a Rustoleum bumper paint. Ran out of time this summer but in the plans for next year. It should help in your situation too; often called "chip guard" as it protects whatever its sprayed on, kind of like a rubbery coating that should deflect road debris for you and keep that area more or less waterproofed, which is what you're looking for.

By the way, my Scamp had been in an accident with the PO and when I took to a reputable gelcoat boat repair guy here he told me that gelcoat is not waterproof. I never went any further with the conversation, and not like me either as I always want to know about how everything works. Must be porous to some degree. Anyway I've seen his work and it was top notch, but alas, I couldn't afford it at the time. Maybe some day!

Best of luck with your project,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Then there is Grizzly Grip, you could do the lower front of your trailer at the same time:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ded-51926.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote