Is it better to have a new Scamp delivered by flatbed or towed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Is it better to have a new Scamp delivered by flatbed or towed?

I am getting a new Scamp 13 delivered soon, and it turns out I have a choice between having someone deliver it to California by towing it or waiting a week and having it delivered by flatbed. I don't mind waiting. Is flatbed better? Someone (at Scamp) mentioned that if it is towed then that might help problems surface, but I am kind of thinking that flatbed saves miles on the tires and axles and it might be worth waiting for. What do you think? Any advice related to this or how to test and get to know a new Scamp 13 is much appreciated!!
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Flatbed for sure! Rock chips are inevitable, but you’d hate to have a few before you get to enjoy virgin gelcoat. More important, you'll get a lot less corrosive winter road spray on the frame of the trailer sitting up on a flatbed. Yes, you'll have to do your own break-in, but wouldn’t you rather? No one cares as much about your trailer as you!

Driveway camping is the best way to test the trailer. Wet-test now or wait for spring, depending on what part of CA you live in. Do some local towing to break-in the running gear. Check for heat build-up in the hubs frequently at first. It’s common to run a little warm during break-in, but not can’t-touch-it hot.

Plan some short, local trips to start out.

Congratulations, and happy camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I’d wait 6 weeks , then head to Backus Mn and pickup your trailer at the factory
Spring in the Midwest / Minnesota is beautiful
Camp in the area and if you encounter any issues , you can have Scamp make the repairs
We drove to Texas to pickup our 2013 Casita and except for the EXTREME heat and humidity it was a fun trip
You can pay for a great trip for what delivery cost !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Steve has a good point,but if that's not possible.....
Towing it on Interstate Highways might get it a little dirty, but so will a flatbed.
If you picked it up at the factory, you would tow it home anyway.
It will arrive with the axle set and ready for a nice going over in prep for your first trip.
After initial set you can adjust the brakes, pack and set the wheel bearings and be ready to use the trailer with confidence.

I towed mine home from the factory almost 17 years ago and 80,000+ miles ago...It is still in nice condition.
I'd say, on balance, Have it towed if you can get it sooner.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #5

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Thanks a lot!

I realize maybe there are certain things I need to be aware of related to braking in a new scamp. Axles, breaks, adjustments...? What do I need to know and do in that first year with a new Scamp?
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IMHO whether towing or flatbed delivery depends on the weather. I live where they don't salt the roads in snowy/icy weather. I don't want my trailer and the undercarriage contaminated with road salt. The trailer frame isn't designed for all that road rash and it could take hours and lots of water to get all that rash off the bottom of a brand new trailer. Escape trailers only flatbed/rollback deliveries. They apply shrinkwrap to the 'front' of the trailer to even prevent bug splatters.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
towing or ?

My goodness !!!! go get it !!! you'll enjoy the trip, very easy, great roads and you'll be able to meet the folks at the factory and get some first hand advice particular to your situation. Real Scampers go to Backus and get a picture of your Scamp in front of the factory with Scamp in the air. I didn't get the picture but I did go get my Scamp from Cape Cod and the trip was well worth it. And cheaper than having it transported. Listen to Steve and go get it!!! People who listened are glad they did.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
IMHO whether towing or flatbed delivery depends on the weather. I live where they don't salt the roads in snowy/icy weather. I don't want my trailer and the undercarriage contaminated with road salt. The trailer frame isn't designed for all that road rash and it could take hours and lots of water to get all that rash off the bottom of a brand new trailer. Escape trailers only flatbed/rollback deliveries. They apply shrinkwrap to the 'front' of the trailer to even prevent bug splatters.
EXCELLENT POINT!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #9
MJo

Massachusetts
thank you. The best way to get familiar with the Scamp is to get it on the road !! and I did enjoy the trip. Friends advised against it but what do they know !! A great trip and going up to Minnesota was an education for me since I'd only traveled along Rte. 66 in "the old days," even tho I was born in MI. Well, hope he does the trip, but if not, he still made a good choice in getting the Scamp. Great introduction to RV's and also a good investment for the $$ conscious. Looks like we may have some challenges ahead.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #10

Name: BS
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
DIY or flatbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
I am getting a new Scamp 13 delivered soon, and it turns out I have a choice between having someone deliver it to California by towing it or waiting a week and having it delivered by flatbed. I don't mind waiting. Is flatbed better? Someone (at Scamp) mentioned that if it is towed then that might help problems surface, but I am kind of thinking that flatbed saves miles on the tires and axles and it might be worth waiting for. What do you think? Any advice related to this or how to test and get to know a new Scamp 13 is much appreciated!!
We picked ours up in Backus and camped nearby at Itasca State Park for a few days to check everything out before driving back to NH. It was a great trip and worth it. If you are unable to pick it up yourself, I would go with a flatbed for delivery. I would want my new Scamp to be as "new" as possible.
BSinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Towing will let you know id the wheel bearings are packed. It may also shake out other problems.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:58 AM   #12

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
So many of us are retired and if retired I would travel to Bakus and pick up the trailer and make it an adventure.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #13

Name: Loulou
Trailer: Shopping
California
Congrats Zack!

I can’t answer your question but I’m
Interested in the answers, as I will be picking up a new Scamp next year. I’m planning to drive from California to Backus to pick it up, and looking forward to the adventure, but also feeling a little intimidated by required maintenance during the break in period on the way home. I know the bearings will need to be repacked but none else (but that’s a separate post). I have assumed I cannot afford having it hauled out to California. Also, If I can get it towed out here I can likely get it sooner. May 2022 (not a typo) is a Loooooong wait.

Can I ask what it would cost you to have it delivered to California by flatbed?
Bluemorpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
MJo

Massachusetts
is it better to have a new Scamp delivered by flatbed or towed?

I guess I'm a dummy for just picking my 13" Scamp out, ordering what I wanted on it, driving to Backus for it, paying for it, hitching it to my 2004 Volvo XC-70 with 250,000 miles on it and bringing my new 2020 Scamp home to Cape Cod. It looks like many people expect a "break-in" period. Maybe. But also if you expect problems, you'll probably have one, rarely is anything perfect. Or, you could just get it, enjoy it and take things as they come. Maybe it's my age, 85, but that's my philosophy. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet, Act I, Scene 5. Shakespeare.
Of course, I believe, very definitely, in regular maintenance, the same as on my 2004 Volvo, which I've had since it was new.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #15

Name: Loulou
Trailer: Shopping
California
I suspect I’m the one that needs breaking in more than Scamp . I am adventurous, but also will be a mechanically challenged female traveling alone cross county towing a camper with minimal towing experience. Still, I prefer to fetch it myself.
Bluemorpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:21 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Given the freedom, I suspect most people would opt for factory pick-up. Just visiting the factory and watching how they’re built is a fun and educational experience.

Not everyone has the leisure from work and family responsibilities to make a long trip. The OP has decided on delivery, and I’m sure there are good reasons. I gave my advice accordingly.

I’m hoping to get to Backus in a few years to do an axle swap. But with full-time jobs and two teens, we’re on a short leash for several more years.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #17

Name: Scampgrounds
Trailer: Scamp
Ca
Scamp 13' Delviery

Congratulations on getting your new Scamp!

Our 2020 Scamp 13' was delivered by Scamp driver to our home in San Diego. It arrived in great condition and just washed! I would have preferred to have picked it up, but couldn't due to time. We didn't have the option for a flatbed delivery, but that would be my choice if offered (assuming I couldn't go to Backus myself) -- less trailer miles and lower chance of damage in transit.

I have documented (and continue to) our Scamp learning experiences on my blog so that it might help others! Please check it out!
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
Trailer delivery cost

Funny you should ask. I wondered the same thing yesterday, so I called Casita.
Here's what they said:
-They do NOT offer flatbed delivery. Only towing.
-What do they charge ? $1.25/mile. We live in Michigan, 1208.5 miles from Rice Texas. So it would cost us $1,511. That's enough to make one think.
Casita suggested a compromise they offer: to meet the buyer half way to save money. But then you would miss the factory.

I would imagine Scamp is similar. I don't know if flatbed charges (which apparently they offer ?) are the same as that of towing.

We bought a new 2010 13' Scamp and picked it up at Backus in April of 2010.
We toured the factory and took pictures, lots of pictures (don't know if they still allow pictures. In my opinion, going to the factory completes the experience. It was worth it. On the way back, it was very cold and snowed. We found out rather quickly how to operate the furnace. Breakfast in the morning in that warm little trailer is a memory not to be forgotten.
So that's my opinion. But everyone and every situation is different. Do what feels right.
BTW lead time for Scamp is ~14 months, and Casita is ~ 12 months.
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Normal Scamp delivery is towed. I’m guessing in this case they had multiple trailers going to the same general location- or perhaps drop-offs en route- that made a flatbed more cost effective. Unless they’re in the process of changing their delivery practice, I wouldn’t count on a choice. Of course I would take it if offered.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
First of all congrats! Use it in the best of health! If this is your first travel trailer, get ready to have a blast!

I’m not sure why you can’t pick it up in person. Can’t take off from your job/want to save vacation time? Hesitant to travel due to Coronavirus? Not yet set up with a hitch sustenances/Tow Vehicle?

But the best thing you can do is pick it up yourself. Scamp will be able to fix up your hitch system, show you how to join your brake controller system with the trailer, provide orientation to the trailer & towing advice. There is a camping area nearby and it would be very helpful to “shake down” your trailer by camping there 1-2 nights. I’m sure the Scamp people will be opened to discussing your camping experience with the trailer.

If you absolutely cannot travel to Scamp, Flatbed is preferable. Less chance for accident on highway under tow, less exposure to road salt, potholes, etc.

The best way to “test” your new trailer is to try out the components while in your driveway (electrical hookup, stovetop, lights, propane system, cabin storage); then take it camping.

Not sure where you live in So Cal, but it’s a good idea to ID a reputable repair shop or mobile service.

Best of luck!

Tags
scamp