Is it ok? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
To put chemicals in the grey tank to control stinky puies?

If the chemicals for your toilet do such a great job keeping THAT stink down, would the same hold for the grey? Will it hurt anything?

I just dumped my grey at home into a blue tote then disposed of appropriately..

but the last toteful was rather, er, pungient. 2 weeks of festering orange juice and spaghetti has taken it's toll...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #2

Registry
and furthermore!!!

How to you keep the water in the tank from sloshing up into the shower when underway?

I opened the bathroom after it sitting for 2 weeks, and after taking out a few things.. I found.. "The pool"

Is there a plug or something they make to prevent this?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The best stuf to put in your tank has enzymes in it so the process of breaking the solids down to liquids is enhanced (meaning less problems for your system and better processing in the system where you dump your stuf). There may still be a smell, but it will be more like vegatables than sewer in my experience. If you have a black tank with a roof vent, you may not be bothered by the smell, any more than you are at home.

WalMart, Camping World and other RV places sell various potions.

What you don't want to use is stuf that actually KILLS germs, bacteria, etc., because that will cause your system to have a lot of solids and may damage the final system, esp if it is a septic tank.

I dunno why your tank is overflowing into the shower, but if it happens when the tank isn't really very full, something is amiss. If you plug the shower drain, then the overflow may appear somewhere else...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #4

Registry
I just used Natures Miracle to get the smell out of the bathroom, then wiped it down with paper towels, it worked great.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
If the chemicals for your toilet do such a great job keeping THAT stink down, would the same hold for the grey? Will it hurt anything?
They make separate chemicals for the gray tank. I have a bottle of each, one for the black tank and one for the gray tank.

Your shower pan must be a lot closer to the tank than mine is. Having said that, I almost never tow for any significant distance with the gray tank full.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
and furthermore!!!
Is there a plug or something they make to prevent this?
Hey Gina, on Casitas there is a valve under the shower which you open or close with a hard-to-reach handle underneath the front of the trailer. Perhaps the Burro has a similar device.

B.t.w., someone---I forget who---devised an extension for that valve handle that makes it easier to access.

And, yeah, I usually pour a little of the same "additive" in the grey tank, as well as in the black tank, just to make dumping smell better. "TST Max Granular", for many reasons, available at Wally's and everyplace else.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Gina, even though I don't have a grey tank, I always got water splashed into the floor from the J trap under the shower. Mine was before the days they installed a trap door. I use a small rubber drain stopper. It has worked like champ for several years. Very easy, effective, and inexpensive fix. You can pick one up at walmart when you go get the stuff for your grey tank.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Gina:

Since we have the same setup, this may apply: Whenever our greywater tank is 3/4 or so full it will slosh out and into the shower pan. Depends on your driving. I'd estimate that you should get it sloshing out when about 1/4 full from what I hear. We use Odørløs in both tanks (iced mocha in the freshwater) so after a shower... well you get the rest.

I use a rubber stopper in ours, which is a pain to get out, but effective. I'm planning on installing a sensor which electrically closes a valve when the tank gets above 3/4 full and the trailer is moving. So far the problem is that the sensor is fooled by the high mocha content.

Actually there surely must be a closable drain plug similar to the average kitchen sink device. I just have to convince the guys at the hardware store to let me take some of their products out to test them in the drain.

My heart goes out to you for having to put up with the remnants of perfectly good Italian food on your shower floor.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #9

Registry
I actually HAVE a stopper that would fit in there. Thats the first thing I thought of.

Problem is getting the danged grate out! I didn't want to pull and twist too hard without having a replacement handy. I will try to pick one up today as I am about to do nearly a week at an electric only site.

There is a dump station tho. That is obviously the best near term solution, keeping it empty as much as possible.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
Gina:

Actually there surely must be a closable drain plug similar to the average kitchen sink device. I just have to convince the guys at the hardware store to let me take some of their products out to test them in the drain.
Please let me know when you get this mod ready. I too think there has just got to be a way.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote