Is it original? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: Sara
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Is it original?

Hey all! I am having a hard time determining what is original on my '76 Boler and what is a mod. Thank you in advance for the insight

The first photo is a shelf that is wedged between the hood fan and the wall, above the bunk. Just looking at it, the materials don't seem to match, which is why I am very sceptical that it's original. Would really just like to confirm so that I can remove it without compromising the shell.

Second two photos are of the blind system. It is a band above and below the windows (attached with rivets). The blinds slide alone them. However, they are all broken which makes it difficult.

The final picture is of an outlet on the kitchenette, beside the cook top. It's not something I noticed in touring other trailers but I could have just missed it.

Finally, my trailer came with a male-to-male electrical chord. I know that that can be a real danger. So I am curious if that is what they originally came with or if there was a mod done. Regardless, it will need to be changed for safety reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7059.jpg   IMG_7068.jpg  

IMG_7069.jpg   IMG_7066.jpg  

Sara D.
Sara Drieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Drieds View Post
Hey all! I am having a hard time determining what is original on my '76 Boler and what is a mod. Thank you in advance for the insight

The first photo is a shelf that is wedged between the hood fan and the wall, above the bunk. Just looking at it, the materials don't seem to match, which is why I am very sceptical that it's original. Would really just like to confirm so that I can remove it without compromising the shell.

Second two photos are of the blind system. It is a band above and below the windows (attached with rivets). The blinds slide alone them. However, they are all broken which makes it difficult.

The final picture is of an outlet on the kitchenette, beside the cook top. It's not something I noticed in touring other trailers but I could have just missed it.

Finally, my trailer came with a male-to-male electrical chord. I know that that can be a real danger. So I am curious if that is what they originally came with or if there was a mod done. Regardless, it will need to be changed for safety reasons.

Fyi
Your photos didn’t post
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #3

British Columbia
Fixed it! Thanks for letting me know

Sara D.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #4

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
on a 44 year old camper, probably isn't much left original by now. as i was told when i bought my '77, you can spend a fortune restoring it back to the way it was or you can fix it the way you like & just enjoy it. it's up to you. these designs may have been state-of-the-art when they came out but thru the years people have made changes that were great improvements. i like the little shelf, if it were mine i'd keep that. busted mini blinds gotta go. more outlets? oh yes, please!

good luck ! here's hoping we can get out & camp soon!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Male to male plugs are used when someone didn't want to pull the power line through the side port of the camper. And they didn't wish to buy a male socket plug to replace it with and instead probably put an outlet someplace that the double male extension can plug into.

It is a hack for hooking a generator up to the house. Put male plug into house plug and male plug into generator. Energize one side of your fuse/circuit breaker load center. Only dangerous if you hook up the power side first, or the cord comes unplugged or.... of course the mains have to be off so you don't shock the lineman trying to fix the downed power and …. ok it's dangerous.

I think you would have had a male plug on a heavy cord wired directly to your load center. Cord pulled out through a standard RV cord port to plug in to park power.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Scamp and Boler are very similar and this set up is common to campers

This cord
https://www.scamptrailers.com/produc...-male-end-only

was pulled out through this port. The larger cover flips up. The small notch has a slide aside cover so the port can be opened, the cord plug pulled through then the notch cover slid aside so the larger cover can close on the cord to seal it back up.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/produc...t-2017-current

The free ends of the cord were wired to the load center. On old Scamp load center is under the sink. mounted to outside wall. Cord is coiled under dinging table bench seat. Not sure where it is on old Bolers. Hopefully someone with your same camper will drop in and be able to give you more specifics
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Not sure where it is on old Bolers. Hopefully someone with your same camper will drop in and be able to give you more specifics
On the old Bolers it is coiled underneath the sink. A real pain in the...
Eventually I will replace with a proper 30 amp port going to a new power center.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #8

Name: Eric
TN
Registry
Through away the cord and buy the proper male power inlet for an RV. You can get one for $20. Its not worth you life. I would say the outlet by the stove is also a modification, it looks like a standard house hold outlet Curtain rods are factory and I believe you can get replacements silt. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw them.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #9

British Columbia
Thanks for the feed back everyone! I really appreciate it!

Sara D.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Drieds View Post

Hi Sara, keeping in mind that bolers were made in various plants with various configrations (mine is a 73 made in Peace River) it looks to me like pretty much everything there is not stock. I like the shelf though. I'm pretty sure the windows typically had cafe style curtain rods originally (at least the ones I've seen) and there was usually a single 110v set of outlets on the front of the lower cabinet. Power cord typically pulled out of a "mousehole" port on the side (male end that would plug into 15 amp 110 v circuit) and wired directly into a box (or maybe a breaker) in the lower cabinet. The cord stored under the bench at the rear.

That's just what I've come across in my travels.

Bob
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote