Is it safe to haul pets in your trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Is it safe to haul pets in your trailer?

I would normally never consider doing this, as I want my pets in my tow vehicle with me, but is it safe to haul them down the road a ways in a trailer, assuming they're in their carriers and not loose. I'm thinking of an hour at the most. I have two cats that might be happier not with my dogs, though they have their own crates, but it's more crowded. I'm worried about carbon monoxide poisoning. Anyone have experience with this? I have a 13 foot Burro. Thanks in advance.

ETA: As soon as I posted this, I knew I would never feel comfortable doing it. But still curious to hear what others do.
Marjorie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I wouldn't leave my cat, Bobby in the trailer while it's moving....too much noise, creaking, squeaking, rattling for him. He'd have a heart attack. And it seems like no matter how secure I think I have everything, something could always come loose and go flying.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I also wouldnt leave them in the trailer for the same reasons Noreen mention. Think it would scare them to death.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I echo Noreen and Carols comments. Watch the Long Long Trailer and see what it did to Lucy. I know, just a movie but remember most of our trailers lack shocks and anywhere near the suspension our tow vehicles have.

Now there's always the trunk.... no no, I was just kidding. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Raz

Raz,

Take a real good look at your avatar.
YOUR PUP HAS STOPPED GRINNING!!!!!
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith and Dee D View Post
Raz,

Take a real good look at your avatar.
YOUR PUP HAS STOPPED GRINNING!!!!!
Yeah, and she owns the truck ........and the trailer...... and the house... and.......
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

My dogs are wishing I would let the cats ride back there - LOL.

I agree it would scare them, but has anyone heard of carbon monoxide poisoning. Wouldn't that be a real concern?

And for those of you who think I'm mean to even consider it, you're right - it was a bad idea. I love my cats - in fact, they're both rescues!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I knew you'd figure it out. The dogs and cats will, too, in the back seat of the tv.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
No, I didn't think you are mean......just desperate. Two dogs and two cats. I would be desperate too. What is your TV? I have a Ford Escape so with the back seats down, there is lots of room for my one cat in his carrier. He sleeps most of the time we are on the road. I have never seen evidence of carbon monoxide poisoning. Hopefully your vehicle is sound enough that there isn't any fumes leaking inside...for your sake as well.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #10

No, my vehicle is safe for pets, it's the riding in the trailer I worry about carbon monoxide.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Marjorie,

I would not put my pets in the camper because the bouncing and noises, even at slow speeds, would frighten them tremendously. Also, if something should happen to the camper (collision, tire blow-out, fire, etc.) you won't be able to protect them.

Can you place a piece of cardboard or cloth between the dogs and cats crates in the TV? They may smell each other but they wouldn't be able to see each other.

Good luck.
Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
It's the law in most areas that you cannot let a person ride in the trailer, so why would you think about letting a cherished pet ride there. Besides our cat used to hide under the seat and hyperventilate until we got to our arival point.

Whatever you do, don't let the cat out. No matter what it tells you.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #13

NO, I'm not going to put them back there. My cats and dogs are actually quite compatible, I was just thinking for a short haul, like from one spot to another near by, but I know it's a bad idea. Would never do it for a real trip either.

Will add that the cats are used to traveling and ride well, actually sleep and are fine.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I have the same thoughts as the others as to what if something fell on the carrier in the trailer, or the trailer broke loose, or someone smashed into it. No one mentioned how hot or cold it could get in the camper. Now if the weather cooperated and you wanted to put them in there while out to lunch and with windows open it was comfy inside I could see that, but going down the road, not a good idea. If hot out, I would think a trailer with windows open would be safer than a car with windows cracked open if stopped, but best thing to consider is would YOU want to be in there with them and if it is safe for you then it most likely is safe for them. Traveling down the road mine are in my car in crates so as not to get hurt, and we stop at drive throughs to eat so as not to leave them in the car alone while we eat.
If having a problem with anxiety in either cats or dogs, you can always get acepromazine from the veterinarian to give them while traveling.
I don't think carbon monxide would get into the trailer. Hunters do travel with their dogs in special trailers behind their trucks. Those trailers do have vented openings and the dogs seem to be just fine. We had a show hunter that traveled from Mn to Texas with his Labs in a trailer behind his truck. I remember my dad having a special trailer for his dogs years ago too. As for that part of your question, I think it is safe carbon monxide wise to keep pets in the camper. If hunters dogs travel behind the truck/car in another dog trailer I would think our campers would be safe.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Isn't there an old saying about curiosity and cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie M. View Post
I would normally never consider doing this...

...they have their own crates, but it's more crowded.

ETA: As soon as I posted this, I knew I would never feel comfortable doing it.
I thought I heard a radio program about when animals get stressed, being confined actually calms them...
something about an autistic woman and humane treatment of cattle...
Being more crowded might actually be good for them?

At least your curiosity is satisfied.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had a pair of beagles that INSISTED on riding in the same crate.

That said.. go sit on your trailer bed, have a friend tow you around the block at normal speeds. I guarantee you that you have made the right decision not to put them back there. I have ridden a few yards in many trailers when they had to be moved on the dealers lot and it isn't easy to maintain any balance even when the trailer is crawling along.

I also believe it is illegal for pets (Or people) to ride in any travel trailer in most states. 5th wheels are the exception, but they have a totally different suspension and securing method.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
That said.. go sit on your trailer bed, have a friend tow you around the block at normal speeds. I guarantee you that you have made the right decision not to put them back there. I have ridden a few yards in many trailers when they had to be moved on the dealers lot and it isn't easy to maintain any balance even when the trailer is crawling along.
LOL - I think I'll let the cats drive while I sit in the trailer. They'll probably run off road as soon as they see a bird, though.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok, thats settled,,,no critters in a moving trailer.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I thought I heard a radio program about when animals get stressed, being confined actually calms them...
something about an autistic woman and humane treatment of cattle...
Being more crowded might actually be good for them?

At least your curiosity is satisfied.
My greyhound hates riding in my Escape. When one rear seat is folded down so she can move around, she finds the smallest spot in the back to hole up in.

I think you are referring to work done by Temple Grandin.
Temple Grandin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I think you are all worrying too much...

A: It is not against the law to ride in a trailer... I have done it many times in our 13foot Scamp (get a nap will the wife takes a shift at the wheel). I am a police officer in Michigan.

B: Were talking about animals... heck they may even prefer being back there. It can be a little loud but there is no worry of CO2.
Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote