Is my rear Trillium window salvageable? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Is my rear Trillium window salvageable?

Before I continue cleaning the awful mess of wood, caulk, glue, dirt and heaven knows what else was left behind when I pulled out the window A/C unit, I need to know if the window is even useable. It looks like a P-PO actually hacked off some of the frame when he removed the emergency hatch to put in the A/C. There are screw holes and missing frame "lips." I really wanted another jalousie but was just going to settle for a fixed window somehow, but I'm not sure I can even do that.
If it's ruined, can anybody suggest an alternative? I really don't want to lose the remaining jalousie, so if someone has an idea what to do with the hole, I would be so, so happy!
Here are some shots of the exterior and interior. Hopefully the hack job is visible. I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, but I don't think this is it:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02343.jpg   DSC02344.jpg  

DSC02350.jpg   DSC02352.jpg  

Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Is there enough of a lip to put one piece of glass in there and seal it with glass sealer? I'm cheap, I'd try it....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the rear window for that side should actually be a one piece swing out window, for emergency escape. On mine it was hinged at the top, and swung outwards

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #4

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
If you didn't care if the window was operable I would think that a glass shop would be able to make an aluminum framed pane of glass that you could screw into the hole, would probably want to use a sealant around the frame to seal things up. A really clever glass shop would be able to make unit that is top hinged with latches at the bottom for an escape hatch. If your trill doesn't have an escape window probably the po used it for the ac unit and it wouldn't be to hard to put it back to something close to original.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Before you abandon your old parts, you may consider welding your old frame and fixing it with a simple Dura Fix Aluminum Welding Aluminum Brazing Aluminum Soldering & Repair Rod durafix kit and a propane torch.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
You may want to use safety glass, or plastic, not regular glass.

There is a lot of good information on this site:

http://www.hehrintl.com/index.htm

(Hehr is the brand Trillium now uses.) Apparently, the square corner windows are no longer made, probably because cracks in material with an inside corner will propagate easier from a square corner than a rounded one. There are threads in this blog where persons filled in the corners.

I found interesting that they recommend a gap around the glass.

"Glazing assemblies should be sized for 1/8" to 1/4" clearance between the glazing edge and frame. Use 1/4" setting blocks, made of silicone or polycarbonate- compatible material and wider than glazing thickness."

http://www.hehrintl.com/pdf/HEHR%20GLASS%20CARE.pdf

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
I replaced the door window on my Trillium 4500 because the corner was cracked. It was made of regular 5mm glass (1/4"). I replaced it with an exact copy of the original glass made of clear 5mm polycarbonate (Lexan) which I found at Home Hardware local store. There were spacers around the window to allow for aluminum thermal expansion. I used the best quality of marine (UV resistant) clear silicone I could find.

Polycarbonate is flexible and is practically unbreakable. Cost is much lower than tempered glass and it can be cut with regular carpentry tools. I used a vibrating multi-tool which is safer and easier to use with any plastic than a saber saw EAA Video Player - Your Source for Aviation Videos

Tags
trillium