Is my scamp door heavy, ie water - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I just weighed my door and it's about 34 pounds. I know from fixing the window opening that it has a type of masonite interior, and I have lifted up a 1/2 inch piece of a 4X8 sheet and know how heavy masonite can be. I did not see or smell any water problems around the window area when fixing, but I was wondering if this sounds too heavy. If it is, I was trying to figure out if it was a good idea to drill a hole at the bottom to see if I have wet goo. I test fitted the door as is and it fits perfect, I just don't want to over stress the hinges or holes. Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
I just weighed my door and it's about 34 pounds. I know from fixing the window opening that it has a type of masonite interior, and I have lifted up a 1/2 inch piece of a 4X8 sheet and know how heavy masonite can be. I did not see or smell any water problems around the window area when fixing, but I was wondering if this sounds too heavy. If it is, I was trying to figure out if it was a good idea to drill a hole at the bottom to see if I have wet goo. I test fitted the door as is and it fits perfect, I just don't want to over stress the hinges or holes. Thanks

Yo, Danny,

Drilling a weep hole is a great idea. If you had to repair the window for some reason, I'd bet a buck that there is water inside your door.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Danny,
I would call Scamp at 800.346.4962 and ask them what the shipping weight is for a door.

Bill K

Quote:
I just weighed my door and it's about 34 pounds. I know from fixing the window opening that it has a type of masonite interior, and I have lifted up a 1/2 inch piece of a 4X8 sheet and know how heavy masonite can be. I did not see or smell any water problems around the window area when fixing, but I was wondering if this sounds to heavy. If it is, I was trying to figure out if it was a good idea to drill a hole at the bottom to see if I have wet goo. I test fitted the door as is and it fits perfect, I just don't want to over stress the hinges or holes. Thanks
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On my 17ft Boler my door was heavy. I took door off and drilled a half dozen holes into the bottom lip. I was amazed at how much water poured out. Give it a try.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

35# is about right..... Seems that is what mine weighed. Drilled a couple hole in the bottom and couldn't find any evidence of soggy stuff. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I haven't weighed the door on my Scamp, but it fits well. I have pulled the window out a time or two. The first time, I noticed the product that's used in the door had separated at the raw edge around the window. I gooped it up with Gorilla Glue (because the glue is water proof) and clamped the edges together. At least now I feel fairly confident it's not going to wick water into those raw edges. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 77 Scamp
34 pounds sounds within reason. Unless the door is pulling off the hinges and causing cracks? I tried the little holes drilled into the lower half of the door but for my door, water had already seeped in and made the insides mucky and thick and the wood near the handle was rotted. I did take my door off and cut into the fiberglass and scooped out the guts refiberglassed some pieces in there for support. The photos are on here somewhere and I could give it a bump if you wanted.....

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for all the replies. I think I might drill a small hole just to check for water. It sounds like I may not have a water problem if I don't see any water come out. When I took out the window and door handle, all the interior filler was solid around these places. I started looking at other door fixes on this site (thanks Brandy), by taking it apart, and it looked like it was evident that water and damage had been done in these area's.

Concerning the hinges, the holes were originally re-drilled into the trailer and not lined up correctly. Since I have the liner out, I put in a couple of extra layers of fiberglass in this area to reinforce it and will put the holes in a different spot.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
It's not just the filler. Fiberglass is actually more dense than steel.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp