Is There a 2 Sided 110 Plug In Out There? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Is There a 2 Sided 110 Plug In Out There?

I want to add a 110 plug in to the outside upper right side of the closet for a small flat screen & am puting the dish reciever on a shelf in the upper inside of the closet & need to have that plugged in. Is there a plug in that's 2 sided so I can plug in the reciever from inside the closet & the tv outside it without having to add a seperate plug? I have called Home Depot & Menards.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Since you really need to install 110 receptacles in a box I would just wire 2 back to back or side by side facing opposite directions to get this done.

Another way I have done this is to make a splice inside an outlet box from the incoming power directly to the 2 cords you need removing the end of them that would plug into an outlet.

I don't encourage doing this but it can work too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Do you mean Back-to-Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
Is there a plug in that's 2 sided so I can plug in the reciever from inside the closet & the tv outside it without having to add a seperate plug?
Are you thinking about like the way some extension cords have the receptacle end with one socket on one side and 2 sockets on the other?

Name:   images.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  4.6 KB

For a built-in receptacle that has to be mounted in a box, I would say no, I've never seen one.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks Ed & Frederick, I may just jimmy rig something in the closet.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Are you thinking of running an entirely new circuit from your converter or AC distribution box, or tying into an existing 120vac circuit? I would recommend (if you haven't already thought of it,) that you seriously consider installing the first receptacle in the line as a GFCI outlet, for wet location hazard protection. Outdoor outlets need this additional protection, but personally, I think that all trailer outlets should be on a GFCI protected circuit for safety.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Barry;

Use a dougle gang box, and reverse one of the boxes. That will give you a spot for any outlet on either side.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I'm guessing that the wall you are speaking of is very thin. If you were install a plug box with the normal side facing out, I would suspect you could see the box protruding into the closet. On the inside, bring a wire out of the box and let it hang with a female plug on the end of the wire. Not to code so I didn't tell you to do it but I personally wouldn't worry about it. Put a loose knot on the wire inside the box before exiting to the closet so you don't pull on the electrical connection.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Rather than try to make two boxes with one on either side use 1 box in the closet (out of sight) and make a pass through in the wall like you see on a computer desk or for cables in a house.

Something like this

Pass Through Bundle Wire Wall Plate Single Gang
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
My suggestion would be to use two 'low profile' recepticle boxes installed back to back.

A low profile box is one half the depth of a regular box.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
I want to add a 110 plug in to the outside upper right side of the closet for a small flat screen & am puting the dish reciever on a shelf in the upper inside of the closet & need to have that plugged in. Is there a plug in that's 2 sided so I can plug in the reciever from inside the closet & the tv outside it without having to add a seperate plug? I have called Home Depot & Menards.
They make extra shallow plastic non-conductive boxes which could be mounted side by side in the closet with one facing in and one cut through facing out this would give you a normal flush mount on the outside of the cabinet and a surface mount inside. the inside one could be screwed from outside the cabinet using button caps for esthetics, or it could be attached to the shelf inside the closet.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote